OMG IM GONNA DIE!!!!!! (Long)

Darlene X
on 9/16/06 11:12 am - Maricopa, AZ
OK, Im the biggest exercise slacker in the world, but did I move to lose today???? YES, OMG did I ever!!!! Hubby and I decided we would go for a hike this morning. We headed off to South Mountain..... a little oasis inside a huge city. Neither of us had been there before. As both our physical levels could be greatly improved upon, we looked at our online resources and decided on the Javelina Trail. It said it was 1.7 miles, Easy to Moderate.... sounded perfect for us to start with. We arrived at 7am, bright and early to get walking before the major heat started. We parked in the lot on 46th St (Just off Baseline), found the trail head and off we went. It's was a gorgeous sunny morning... about 5 minutes after starting we watched 2 Coyotes cross the trail about 20 yards in front of us.... we stopped and watched them, they werent too scared off us... Im sure because South Mountain is used a lot, they are more used to people... but it's one of the closest (out of car) experiences Ive had with them. How much fun!!! The start of the trail isnt bad, a small slope, mostly level and downhill..... but about 0.5 mile in the trail starts going up, and up, and up for the rest of the 1.2 miles or so....not too steep of an up, after all it was classed as easy to moderate... but enough to kick my butt, as Im totally unfit. We both walked our little hearts out.... waiting for the trail to turn around back to the parking lot... we thought it was a loop.... ummm "thought" is the operative word there. After the full 1.7 miles we were to the top!!! There are tons of other trails and lots of people around, so we decide to follow the way back down where the majority of everyone was coming from.... we felt good once we reached the top, and figured it was probably another 1.5 miles back... we could make it. It was a nice walk down.... mostly down hill, on more of a dirt road... we finally see cars.... ummm this doesnt look familiar.... we had asked several people along the way if we were heading to the right parking lot... they said we were... but when we got there NOPE!!! OMG we could have died. We assessed the park map and realized we hadd gone the wrong way and were at a totally different parking lot. We started off again hiking the trails back to the car. In the end, 2 & 1/2 hours and 4.5 miles later we made it back to our car! OMG I am so tired!!!!! My body aches... but a good ache. EJ was breaking down at the end, by the time we got to the car he was really starting to feel it.. Can I say how completely amazingly proud I am of EJ??? Just under 12 months ago, there was no way in hell he could even have walked for 15 minutes of this. I have never seen this man go like this... he walked 2 & 1/2 hours non-stop... I have never seen him walk 4.5 miles before! He is so happy and hopeful about his future life... almost 12 months ago he was depressed, and never thought he would ever go hiking again. In the spring he and his brothers & some friends are going on a Javelina hunt... part of our hiking was to help prepare for that, as he will have to hike and keep up with several fit family members. WLS was the best thing he has ever done! Anyway we went and showered at EJ's Moms... ate some stew... I could feel my body completely craving food after that walk.... ran some errands, and then came home... we both lay down and slept for 2 hours straight hahaha... it completely kicked our butts and it feels so good!!!!! We are going to try do a hike every Saturday morning now... we will do this same one (But go the right way) next time, around 3 miles long... Anyone wanna join us? hehe Boy am I going to feel this tomorrow morning!!!!! Darlene -122lbs
Sandy in Tucson
on 9/16/06 11:47 am - Tucson, AZ
I went back packing shopping today.....bought a pocket-rocket one burner back packing stove today and 2 cans of fuel. My b/f and I hike every week-end---that we are not ill or something........it is best thing. I refuse to pay for a gym...I can use that $ to buy back packing supplies. We have the poles....3 diff Camelback hydration backpacks....the hiking---trail shoes.....not regular hiking booots...but special ones for trail running-hiking. Yes, we have like $1,000 invested in the hiking gear....but it is my equipment....no gym has my $.....I am cheap...........plus i love the out of doors. We are hiking up Mt. Wrightston---Madera Canyon south of Tucson, tomorrow...at least 1/2 way up....2,000 ft elevation gain...8 miles round trip....we take our tme......we eat lunch...look at wild life. You always see smiling faces on the trail.....never an unhappy face. Be sure to buy mole skin at Walmart....if you get a hot spot on your feet in the wilderness....it is he@@....mole skin saved my life many a day. I also wear padded hiking socks....you can get them at any camping store...like Summit Hut in Tucson.....I am sure Phx has the speciality hiking stores there. Sandy
fda1643
on 9/16/06 11:51 am
It must be amazing to be able to do something you never thought you could do before. Hopefully soon I can start to go down that path. congrats, Samantha
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 3:52 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi there Wow I am so proud of both of you!! Thats awesome. I would love to join you sometime. feel free to email me about joining up for a hike maybe Sept 30??
moirap
on 9/17/06 3:30 am - Mesa, AZ
Darlene, I am so happy you had such a great day and you guys are doing so wonderful. Its not going to be long before you guys walk down the street and strangers are going to be saying " really you were fat at one time". You and EJ will be the picture of health. Just an FYI the diabetes walk will be in a couple of weeks if your interested in walking. You can get more info if interested at www.diabetes.org. I cant wait to be able to get back to the support meetings. Good luck and I am so happy you guys are doing so well Moira
CKoehlerGMa
on 9/17/06 6:48 am
Darlene and EJ.....YAY!! You have been telling me you were going to start exercising more and you weren't kidding. WOW!! Thats amazing. Thats a long hike for the first one. I would love to join you some Saturday morning to go hiking. If you ever feel like venturing further there are some nice trails in The White Tanks too, close to Luke AFB. Every time I see you I am constantly amazed at the changes. I am only about 7 weeks out now and feel wonderful, but thats a big hike and I am not sure I would be up for it but I would love to test my limits. Let's talk
Most Active