Last Meal Syndrome! :-(

Ayaunna
on 9/11/06 5:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone, I have my surgery in a month (Oct. 11) and I gained 18lbs since I had my inital visit. I've been having the hardest time with my eating and I need some help. Does anyone have any tips on getting this weight off? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
BOBINA
on 9/11/06 5:21 am - mesa, AZ
Ayaunna Try going on Atkins plan till surgery . You really need to loose some before yoru Surgery even if its only 5lbs below what you started at . You loose weight off your internal organs first and it makes it easier for Dr Blackstone to operate on you. You also have to get the last supper Idea out of your head. You will be able to eat again - just not right away. I had the same problem and I didnt like being scolded by Roberta at the office .. Plus get use to atkins now - cause it will carry you over the first few months - Stick to the proteins ... and walk , walk, walk it will help .. I am almost 2 months out and down 60 lbs. I wish I had dropped more weight before surgery .. It would have made it easier.
Ayaunna
on 9/11/06 5:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you Jeanna! I will definitely start with Atkins. I really think I can drop this weight if I start on it right away. Thank you again!
Linda S.
on 9/11/06 5:00 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks for sharing. Will you elaborate on how it would have made things easier had you lowered your weight before surgery? I am losing now and I know for me this is important not only to the surgery itself, but through the fear of withdrawal I *know* I would go through. Food is my drug of choice! Was this one of the reasons for you? I have grandkids and they are over lots (every day), and through Gods blessing I have managed to get through their dessert eating with a simple no. I feel if I say yes, I would open a door I am praying to close forever.Of course,I almost s**t when I was weighed for the first time in a long time, and I take steroids,so the battle has been fierce.My doctor told me that he would operate even if I was on the steroids, and that I will not have the extra hunger caused by that medicine after the wls. I have this fear of being one of those people who have the operation and are not sucessful. One of the tags I saw from a lady who is at goal was: "I don't eat sugar because I may dump. I don't eat sugar because I may not dump". I thought that was a good summation of a sucessful attitude, which I hope to maintain.
Ayaunna
on 9/14/06 11:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
That is a really good summation Linda- I think I will hang that up somewhere so I can see that daily. Thank you for sharing!
Linda S.
on 9/14/06 2:25 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I get so much from this site. I check in as often as I can. It is a life line. How are you feeling?
BIG F.
on 9/11/06 6:02 am - chandler, AZ
I ate the last supper for 3 months, so I know it's very hard. Lucky for me I only gained two LBS. One lesson learned is that no matter what you eat, mentally it won't be enough. Lesson Number Two is start your good habits now. To change your behavior now makes it easier later. Lamont
Ayaunna
on 9/14/06 11:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you Lamont!
Nicole W.
on 9/11/06 9:54 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi! I have been doing the same thing, but only once a week or every other week. But, I am have been doing the Special K diet... eat 2 bowls of Special K and then have a sensible meal for dinner... before I was following Weigh****chers on my own. Both worked well for me. Been drinking plenty of water and doing the behavior modification part of the pre-op stuff... spending 20 minutes eating, chewing, etc. I've been working really weird hours so its been very difficult for me to get in 3 solid meals, but my first meal is Special K with fruit and then for dinner, I have been eating only tuna fish or some kind of protein. I am weening out the snacks also... because I am a boredom eater, so I will eat chips or whatever when I am not even craving anything. I also bought some Sugar-Free Fruit popsicles... better get used to them now! Good Luck... our surgeries are close together so let me know if you need anything! ~nicole
Kathy S.
on 9/11/06 5:20 pm - PHX, AZ
Ayaunna, I'm 4 months out and remember the "Last Supper" syndrome... if you keep eating you'll be sick of food before long! I worried about what I would never ever eat again......if you can handle never having carbonation again you'll be fine. My taste has changed ...I had a piece of pizza tonight(after wiping off the grease off and leaving most of the crust)...and it wasn't the thrill I thought it would be. Actually grilled shrimp would've made me happy! Somehow your taste will change....mine has. The little pouch you're getting will make you conscious of each and every bite...for the better! I truly appreciate a well made, healthy meal that goes down well. My advice is to try to start incorporating some of the behavior mods now, protein first, taking your vitamins, 64oz of water, no snacks and walk, walk, walk! The nurses WILL make you walk. I found being mindful of what postop would be like helped. Try abstaining from liquids with your meals now. If you must "last supper" set a certain number of meals and make them special. Mine were hamburger/fries at Johnny Rockets, a Polish meal, an Italian meal, a Mexican meal with Margarita and a Ham and Chees omelette breakfast with pancakes at IHOP. The thing is you'll have some great "first" meals to look forward to! I had a ground sirloin patty with steamed veggies and bites of salad.....it was amazing to have so much left over!!!! A whole new life is awaiting you.........health, mobility, confidence and happiness. Yes, really! I exercise now, walk the malls and have my clothes getting BIGger and Bigger for me. Gastric bypass has its days but I would go through the process all over again. Hang in there.......eat the best you can and prepare for the ride of your life! Kathy 330/315/236/160 yr ago/preop/postop/goal
Most Active