I am having Buyers Remorse... Is this normal?

cj29
on 9/1/06 9:21 am - Phoenix, AZ
My surgery on the 29th went well, although I was throwing up blood. The pain and the nurses at PMH were not up to par as I thought they should be. I was discharged from the hospital Thursday (yesterday). My calfs were very tight and had a burning feeling. I went to the ER right near our home and they used a ultrasound on my legs to check for clots. Thank GOD, it wasn't a blood clot! Apparently, when you are in the hospital this happens. I am now 3 days post-op and I hurt everywhere. I had a low grade fever last night of 100.6 and couldn't sleep well. I feel real dizzy and weak right now. Has anyone felt like this? I am having regrets, buyers remorse. What have I done to myself? Is there any advise our there for me? I called my DR today and no call back as of yet? What's up with that? Help?
MichelleInAZ
on 9/1/06 9:51 am - Mesa, AZ
You just had MAJOR surgery, I think you are bound to be feeling extremely sore and uncomfortable. I have heard that the anesthesia can have some strange effects on people, maybe that is what you are experiencing. Hopefully that will subside soon and you will start feeling better. Although you are having buyers remorse now, just imagine how you are going to feel when you are 100 lbs less!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
JULESAZ
on 9/1/06 11:12 am - CHANDLER, AZ
Carrie I can understand your conerrns all to well. I had WLS with Dr Simon on 8-23 and left the hospital in pain and confusion last Friday. To say that last weekend was a total loss would be an understatement at best. I was dizzy, sick & confused. Due to a weird reacation to pain meds I ended back at PMH on Monday nad was hospitalized for an additional three days. I am just now starting to feel like "ME" again. My best advise is to stay completely hydrated. Dehyrdration contributed to my problems big time. When I was laying in the ER at PMH last Monday night, I was so sick and all I kept thinking was "What have I done to myslef?" But each day is better. Hang in there and drink lots of water. I agree with you that the level of care from the staff at PHM was not the greatest. Take Care~
BIG F.
on 9/1/06 3:19 pm - chandler, AZ
Pmh ????????????
JULESAZ
on 9/2/06 3:00 am - CHANDLER, AZ
Phoenix Memorial Hospital
mmswarowski
on 9/2/06 1:03 am - Tucson, AZ
Oh Carrie, I know just what you are talking about, I had open RNY surgery on 8/22 and was released on 8/25. Although I felt the surgery, the nurses, and everyone at the hospital did an outstanding job, I felt sooooooo crappy, that I really was thinking I was insane for having doing this thing to myself. I can assure you that it does get better each and every day. You did have major surgery and your body needs time to heal. So as the other ladies said, be sure to stay hydrated, rest and give your body a chance to heal. You will get there! Maryellen
mrs.3m
on 9/2/06 2:38 am - Mesa, AZ
I think everyone has "buyers remorse" the first week or so. Anethesia does quite a number on our bodies. Make sure you are drinking your water. Like someone else said, dehydration sets in very easy right now, keep drinking!! And walk as much as possible. You need to do everything to get your system cleaned out. the first couple of weeks will suck big time, it is normal. Do not be afraid to call your Dr. if something just feels wrong. Melissa
AZGirl
on 9/2/06 2:52 am - On the coast of somewhere beautiful
I think having buyer's remorse is normal. Mine was truly buyer's remorse because I was a self-pay! lol It will get better. I had a low grade fever when I came home too and they told me it's because I wasn't doing my deep breathing exercises or using my spirometer regularly. Hmmm....I was only doing it every 3 hours instead of every hour like I should have. As soon as I did my deep breathing exercises like I was supposed to, the fever went away and I generally felt much better. Deep breathing also helps to rid the body of the anesthesia quicker. I know deep breathing is the last thing you want to do because you are so sore, but trust me, it will help overall. Hope you feel better soon.
debrahn
on 9/2/06 9:22 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Carrie, What you're feeling is 100% absolutely normal! So many that have gone before you have had the same feelings. Just wait until you've lost your 1st 20 lbs. - your buyer's remorse will disappear. When I had my WLS in 1999 I had the same feelings. But it didn't take long for my feelings to change and know that WLS was the very best thing I have ever done for myself. In fact, I'm going to do it again - I'm having a revision 9/12 due to a mechanical failure. I'm sure I'll experience buyer's remorse again for the 1st few days. Give your self time - you'll soon be feeling better. Hang in there! Water, protein and walk. Debbie
diamanti1
on 9/3/06 3:34 am - Peoria, AZ
You will have buyers remorse...I think it is completely normal. I remember the first few weeks after surgery....wasn't as mobile as I would have liked to have been...so watched a good amount of TV...all I remember seeing is food commercials.....couldn't eat anything...felt like crap....but stick with the small things....WALK...WALK...WALK often....that is the only thing that made me feel better.....it is rough the first several weeks....I am guessing I wasn't truly feeling myself until about 6 weeks out...and the same for my wife....at 6 weeks it was like a switch was flipped...and we realized that this was nothing.....and the weight started to fall off....and we felt better than ever. Remember the recovery time from this surgery is only a sliver of time with what you have given yourself.....I am approaching the 1 year mark...and my life is completely different than it was 1 year ago....I have received promotions at work, I have a harley, I can run 5 miles a day....and I feel good about myself.....just be patient...it all comes together...and the only remorse you will feel in the future is for not doing this sooner. Yesterday wife and I got tattoos to celebrate our 1 year accomplishments....We both got a Phoenix.....feel that it is kind of like our new lives....rising from the ashes...between the 2 of us we have lost 350 lbs.....gone forever...You made the right decision for your life....just remember that. Dave 411/200/170
Most Active