Did you need PLASTIC SURGERY after WL?

horizontallychallenged
on 8/26/06 4:44 pm
How many of you needed plastic surgery? What areas of your body needed it the most? I'm wondering if my "gaggle" will get bigger under my chin or my "bulldogs" will hang longer on my cheeks? My eyelids are already baggy, will I need eyelid lifts? I know my boobs are going to need rolled up to be put away after my WL, they will definately need some attention! How about my "thighkles", will my ankles shrink? I have thighankles now.
horizontallychallenged
on 8/27/06 9:07 am
I'm not kidding, I really want to know if people need plastic surgery to get rid of these things??? I have a "gaggle" (that skin that hangs from your chin to your neck, not sideways), "jawls" and big ankles, - do they shrink to normal or do I need to save up money for plastic surgery? I know it depends on a persons body, I'm talking in general, do they go down or just sag? All the pictures look so good, is it real? There isn't much talk about after-skin on here. I'm already planning on my eyelids, my breasts will shrink and I know what to expect there. I looked under the plastic surgery board, I didn't find my answer.
SadieJayne
on 8/27/06 12:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am actually wondering the same thing. I am 238. How many people out there - at my weight range - had to have plastic surgery after WLS?
cindy
on 8/27/06 12:59 pm - Mesa, az
I weighed 352 lbs before my WLS with Dr Zahn. I lost a total of 186 lbs, and yes, I have had alot of ps to remove the hanging skin. I am lucky, my insurance reconizes that this is a medical procedure and is caused by 100+ lbs of lost weight. I had a breast reduction done, a anchor cut adomoplasty with hernia repair, both were paid by my military (Tricare Prime) and Medicare who cost shared, I had an arm lift in January that I paid for. All my surgeries were with Dr Wiener in Scottsdale, he is a very skilled surgeon, and deals with the total body surgeries, not just the breast or tummy, he also has alot of WLS patients, so he is skilled with the special issues we have. You might want to visit the Plastic Surgery Message Board that is right here on OH. I have pictures on my profile, no password needed. Dr Steven Wiener - www.newimageplasticsurgery.com and his phone number is 480 596-6886 I know he excepts some insurance, and I had to do nothing, his staff got all my surgeries approved. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 BR 8-4-04 TT w/hernia repair 2-7-05 AL 1-12-06
Paula Prichard
on 8/28/06 1:48 am - Kingman, AZ
I was told I would NOT need plastics after my surgery because I was young (22) and my skin would "bounce" back. WRONG. I had an upper and lower tummy tuck with hernia repair 3 years ago and am waiting until I am done having children to have my lower body lift, breast reduction/lift, and arms done. It depends on how big you were when you started, but MOST people will need some reconstruction. My mother in law had surgery a little over a year ago and she wasn't that big to begin with (maybe 220?) and she needs her face done pretty badly...neck, cheeks, eyes. It also is affected by age. The older you are, the less elastic your skin is, no matter if you are a light weight or a heavy weight.
SadieJayne
on 8/28/06 7:34 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I hear a lot about hernia repairs. Is this a common side effect of the surgery or was yours pre-surgery?
Paula Prichard
on 8/29/06 1:02 am - Kingman, AZ
I was told open procedures all yield a 30% chance of a hernia. My RNY was open and that was what my hernia was from. The hernia repair is quite painful, but then again the tummy tuck wasn't exactly a walk in the park....I thought it was worse than the Open RNY. My husband had an open rny and he doesn't have a hernia....so it i**** or miss.
Most Active