I HAVE A DATE! ANYONE ELSE AMIBIVALENT????

KT300
on 8/25/06 5:56 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I finally have a date of 11/8/06, I got it on appeal and have done whatever my surgeon's office has asked, talked to many postop people, gone to support groups at the hospital, but am still nervous???? I wish I could do this on my own, I have kids and worry about the risks. I wonder what I will do when I can't eat at night or go out to dinner, how it will affect my family.......does anyone have any insight on this??? Eating really has been a major part of my life for many years. I am a regular member in a 12 step support group for overeating and I know that will help. Thanks for any input. Katie
cj29
on 8/26/06 5:17 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Katie, I'm currently pre-op as my WLS is scheduled in 2 1/2 days. First let me say, I'm not an expert and haven't gone through the surgery yet. Everyone must make up their own minds about this surgery and all the what if's, death and complications, etc... I can tell you I am struggling with these same fears myself still. Then I have to think, what would happen if I didn't do this. I'm 29 years old and my health is fading. I have several female problems and am tired 90% of the time. My quality of life is not really living. I will encourage you to continue to attend support groups, talk to your peers on this and other websites and talk to several different WLS doctors before you commit. This is a major surgery and as with everything we do, there is a risk. Only we can decide for ourselfs and I wish you tons of luck in your journey. Carrie
KT300
on 8/27/06 7:23 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks so much Carrie and I'll be praying for you on your surgery day!!!!!! I guess we all have to look at the big picture, if we could have done this on our own we would have right? And the risk of being obese and having medical problems is a lot higher than the risk of the surgery!!! Take good care, Katie
Nicole W.
on 8/26/06 9:10 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Katie, I too have the same thoughts... thinking, wow... I won't be able to probably eat this again for a really long time. I am nervous, but I think the excitement has taken over my nervousness! Because this is such a great decision for me. It took me a year to do it. I still have a very close friend to tell that I know will not be supportive, but if she can't accept me for who I am and the decisions I make that will be the changing point in our relationship. I am not afraid of dying... I don't even want to think about that! After the surgery, you will focus on your foods more! Making healthier choices and decisions. Have you followed some of the new behavior modifications SBC has given you with your visit with the Dietician... I have. I have been eating my proteins first and then I am full! Having a tough time with the chewing, but I forget majority of the time. I have gone to a support meeting at SBC once so far, but it's difficult for me right because I work evenings and I am in training, but in October I will go. This site has been a wonderful resource for me and I am grateful for all the feedback and posts. I also have alot of co-workers that have had the surgery, some had excellent results and some didn't have what they expected and the state its because they did not follow the doctor's directions! Last week, when I was so excited, I told many co-workers of my approval and now I have people that are so excited for me and asking more and more questions... because they have friends or family that are interested in the surgery. I know I am no expert in the process and still pre-op, but I try to answer their questions the best way I can and usually refer them to this site. I just bought the "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" book... its a great book, some great information in there. I would highly suggest it. Take one day at a time and think about the NEW you after surgery!
KT300
on 8/28/06 5:44 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Nicole! I think I'll pick up the book. I do have to start proteins first, I've pretty much given up soda, straws, now I need to just not drink with meals. I emailed you, I hope you get it!!! Katie
Most Active