Rebounding Weight

Nita S.
on 8/25/06 2:56 am - Avondale, AZ
This is the first time that I am posting to this site. My name is Nita. I had gastric bypass in April of 2000. I never did reach gaol and am gaining back weight. To date I have gained back 45 pounds of the original 130 pounds that i lost. I can eat way too much food at one sitting, and never seem to get full. I have been contmplating asking my surgeon about a revision, but then I saw Dr Simpson on the tv yesterday and wondered if you can have a lap band put on a pouch that has streatched? When I had my original surgery the insurance did not cover it, and I had to pay for it out of pocket (ouch), but when I called the insurance this morning they said that it is now covered. Has anyone tried to have the lap band instead of a revision? Is that even possible? Nita in Avondale
diamanti1
on 8/25/06 3:27 am - Peoria, AZ
First of all i am by no means an expert....but I don't know that the mechanics of either a revision or a band is going to solve your issues. A couple things come to mind.....are you being diligent about your serving sizes when you eat? Take the appropriate servings and don't let yourself graze. Are you snacking? All that I have been taught through my surgery over the last year is that you need to modify to mind hunger and the physiological will tend to itself. I find myself letting my mind wonder to food...and being about a year out I am sure that I could over eat easily. But then I take a look at my before pictures vs. what I look like today...and I remember that when my head was hungry.....I was over 400#'s. I would encourage you to talk to a surgeon...but be prepared for the behavior modification they may want you to explore. Just my 2 cents Dave 411/205/170
Nita S.
on 9/3/06 5:02 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Dave, Thanks for the kick in the seat. I needed it. You are right about the grazing. The head hunger is a constant battle. I was fine for about 4.5 years, but now it is very difficult to concentrate on anything when my mind wonders to food. Nita
Darlene X
on 8/25/06 4:01 am - Maricopa, AZ
Nita, To answer your question, YES you can have a band put on after gastric bypass. My Aunt is in the early process of seeing Dr Simpson for the same thing.... she had surgery about 15 years ago, which failed... her stoma is too big and food just zooms through... However, you need to have a scope done, and go to a surgeon to have your insides checked out first to see if there is a "mechanical" issue..... if your honest with yourself, are you following the plan like you should have? Protein first, are you avoiding bad foods, exercising? or did you just slip back into old habits... Sometimes there is a medical reason for regain, in other cases we can only take blame and get back on track. I would see someone and have a look around first to see if there is a problem, as to why the tool isnt working anymore... if there is, then look into a revision, or lap band.
Paula Prichard
on 8/26/06 11:46 am - Kingman, AZ
I had an Open RNY in January of 2002. I was 390 and lost to 225...not goal, but much better. Anyway, the last year and a half I have slowly gained up to 250-260 and held there. I can starve myself, exercise, take Phentermine...nothing works! I am hungry an hour after I eat and I have noticed I can eat more. I have an appointment in October to see a surgeon in the Phoenix area (Dr. Simpson is on my insurance, but I don't think my appt is with him) about a revision to a Duodenal Switch or putting a lap band on my pouch to help the stretched out stoma (or at least that is what I think it is).
STACEYG
on 8/26/06 12:46 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Nita, I just had a lap band placed at the stoma site by Dr. Blackstone,Scottsdale Bariatric. Done on 4/5/06 and have lost 59 lbs so far. My gastric bypass was in 1985 and I was told to eat carbs and okay for diet coke. Dr. Blackstone did an awesome job with everything, was feeling great after a day or two. Did have to have a scope by a doc that was familiar with gastric bypass---see a bariatric surgeon first then have the scope. I had a doc that did not have a clue what he was looking at and had to have another one with a group that does bypass patients a lot. Good Luck. Stacey
Most Active