Help

jgowan
on 8/21/06 4:59 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
My children do not want me to get Gastric Bypass Surgery. My oldest seems to think Ill die from the surgery. I am 295 pounds and not getting any healthier. Does anyone know if Mercy Care Insurance will cover the Lap Band. My son said he could handle that. And how much weight can a person with the lap band loose?
BOBINA
on 8/21/06 5:21 am - mesa, AZ
Jessica call your insurance company and ask, they will also tell you what requirements you must meet, As for your son tell him what I believe - No doctor will operate on you if he or she does not think you will survive the Surgery. it is a scary process but better than dying from aheart attack.
JRinAZ
on 8/21/06 8:54 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Jessica, Mercy Care "can" cover the surgery if you fall within their guidelines. As for how much weight you'll lose???? Ask that question on the Lap Band forum. You'll be amazed at the amount of weight loss folks can experience. ..... I work for a Lap Band doc (Dr. Simpson) and will be spotlighting patients who have reached their goal. The list I can choose from is long and the pounds they have lost range from 80 to over 200. The difference in comparing it to the Rny is that youll hear about someone losing 100 pounds in 5 months or less with the Rny and then they might lose a few more after that BUT with the Lap Banders ....their journey is slower BUT if they are diligent with getting their "adjustable" band filled when needed, they will actually reach their goal and can continue getting "tweaks" to maintain. I have an Rny and sure wish I could get a fill to lose my last 20 pounds! You can find out more on the www.azlapband.com website or on Dr. Simpson's site which is www.drsimpson.com ....I know that Dr. Blackstone and Dr. Fang and Juarez also do lapbands. Good luck! As for those kiddos.......they are kind to worry about you but it seems they'd be wanting you to find the help you need so that your current health status doesn't kill you!!!! ......Sometimes we've got to give our well meaning loved ones a big hug and tell them that you'll study all the options and let them know when YOU have decided! Big Huggggz! Joyce
K B (Tucson)
on 8/21/06 10:20 am - Tucson, AZ
Jessica, I understand your family's fears about any wls. I have the band and have lost 100 lb in 8 mo. I have 25-35 more to go to "ideal" weight. Several bandsters from the Tucson area have started getting together 1x/month to meet and greet,. You and the family are welcome to join us. We will meet Sept 2 (Sat.) at 2 PM at the Good Egg restaurant. Email me if you hae questions about the band or the group. The band is a good wl tool if you chose to go with it.
karen_n_az
on 8/25/06 8:49 am - Thatcher, AZ
I do not think that Mercy Care will cover the lap band but you can read the guidelines for the surgery, at the link below, and see if it reads the same for you. It actually states that there is inconclusive results with the lap band and so is not covered. There may be some sort of getting around the fine print though. I'm not sure about that. And you may actually be on a different program through mercy care. Its a struggle I know but I'm sure that it will all be worth it in the end. http://www.mercycareplan.com/MCPPAGuideline/GastricBypass.pdf You can check out all the guidelines that mercy care offers here. http://www.mercycareplan.com/PriorAuth.html Hope this helps, BB Karen
Most Active