Confused

Linda S.
on 8/19/06 1:55 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi, I had my consult with Dr. Fang. One of the questions I asked him was if I was going to be cut open. He said not necessarily. Here is what I need to know, is there a way to do the Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass without being cut open?? Thanks for all answers in advance. I am now doing an autobiograhical write up of questions my psychologist sent me for my 2nd visit, the first was a a questionaire of over 500 questions. Is this standard? Is there one or two consults with the surgeon? Thanks so much!
Sarah C.
on 8/19/06 2:18 am - Mesa, AZ
Linda, Hello, I had Dr. Fang as my surgeon, and they make you sign a paper before you go into surgery to agree to let him switch to open if it is needded. Most often it is not, so I would not be to worried. As for the psych question, I only had to meet with mine once, and took a test of about 140 questions, that was it, peice of cake!! I only met with Dr. Fang once before surgery, but still had just as much confidence in him!! Good luck to you on your journey!! Sarah
Linda S.
on 8/19/06 5:26 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks so much Sarah. Oh my yes! Dr. Fang is the most comforting doctor I have ever had. I am sooo ready. I get confused with some of the surgery terminology and for a brief moment thought the laproscopic, and lap band were the same...laugh!
Ginger
on 8/19/06 4:52 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Linda, Yes, there is a way to do gastric by-pass without being opened up...but sometimes they have to start laproscopic and then it turns to OPEN if they see some things in there that need fixing. I expected lap and got open. Dr. Fang found a hernia wrapped up in my intestine and a peptic ulcer so it was removed..think of all the time and $ that was saved by getting those buggers out then as opposed to another surgery later on. The open surgery has a little longer recovery time but like I said before, who wants to do another surgery??? We have the same psychologist. I did that autobiographical write up and I must say that it was quite liberating to me. I had to send it to him via the internet and then we met one more time to go over my test results and he signed a letter and gave me copies to take to be submitted with the rest of my paperwork. I was told that the questionarie is a basic personality test and it is a standard used throughout the world...don't ask me how any of the questions have anything to do with gastic by-pass surgery. Oh, and I had only one consult with Dr. Fang..the next time I saw him, he was leaning over my bed! Hugs and good luck vibes...Ginger
Linda S.
on 8/19/06 5:30 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I am sending his email out today, just finished it and will be seeing him (Dr. Goldberg), on Tuesday for test results. The little autobiography was deep for me Virginia, and as you said, also liberating. I made it clear to him that I am looking forward, and leaving the past in the past with no regrets. I am 55 and do not have time for a lot of digging...let it be..ya know? I guess I too will see Dr. Fang next over my bed.....grin! Thanks for the hugs!
Sandy in Tucson
on 8/19/06 10:47 am - Tucson, AZ
If you have had a previous surgery---open like stomach or gall bladder......you will be having your RNY open...they can not get through the scar tissue.....My surgery was open because of a previous open surgery. Sandy
Linda S.
on 8/19/06 11:00 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks Sandy, and I have had open surgery for gallbladder, so I guess mines will be open. I did tell the Doctor that, but he says maybe not. I frankly don't care at this point. I just want it DONE, I am so miserable. Linda
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/20/06 6:02 am - Tucson, AZ
I had open gallbladder surgery and Dr. Juarez looked at my scar when I met him. He said he would do my RNY lap.
Linda S.
on 8/20/06 2:42 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hiya Becky. How are you feeling?? I bet you are as excited as a cat on a hot tin roof! I am just ready,I see that the pre-operative diets vary, it is so interesting to read the many stories on these boards, they are a God send. Dr. Fang asked me if I had more questions about the procedure, I told him I know all I need to know, just wake me up when its over, and give me much pain medication, he put Demoral for me as morphine makes me puke and gives me a headache, and codeine is a no no. He is capable, I honestly dread the pre-tests more than the surgery, or maybe I am dwelling on one to not think of the other.I have thought about this for years, and I am ready for the ride.Everytime I diet and lose, I gain more back than I had in the first place. I am rambling, sorry. So, what did you pack in your hospital bag?? Hugs!
Darlene X
on 8/19/06 10:53 pm - Maricopa, AZ
He will start Lap, and if he has issues with scar tissue or see's any other problems will convert to open. Dr Fang has a very small % of having to convert to open... My Hubby was 520lbs, I was 100% sure he would have to go open because that is a hard surgery, lot of tummy to go through--- but Dr Fang was able to do it lap... Previous open surgeries does NOT guarantee you will have to have open surgery. I know someone who had an open hysterectomy and they did her surgery Lap.... Odd's are you will not have to have open.
Most Active