Help on upcoming vacation!

Crewzer
on 8/16/06 3:01 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hey all, well I am almost 11months post op and my European vacation is around the corner. I have been living on a low fat lifestyle and enjoying it. My delima is I have a 17day vacation ahead of me mostly in Germany. I love german food, and I know it is very high in fat. I am considering on switching for my 8 days there to a low carb diet. I will have 1ltr of beer at Oktoberfest, probably take me all day, but it will be worth it. That is on my 1 year anniversary. Then I am going on a 6 day cruise. I know on the cruise ship I won't have a problem since I will have lots of healthy options. Any suggestions as far as going thru Germany? Should I just enjoy myself there and go back to my normal lowfat lifestyle once I start back on the cruise? Thanks, Mike
Katie W
on 8/16/06 7:41 am - San Tan Valley, AZ
Hi Mike, I say go for it. It's your vacation! Eating whatever you want for a few days isn't going to kill you. When else are you going to get to eat all of that authentic German food? Have a great trip! Katie
devotchka
on 8/16/06 11:43 pm - tucson, AZ
What a wonderful way to celebrate your weight loss !-I'm still pre-op, but i'm with the Katie. How often is it you go to Europe?-Use moderation and drink plenty of liquids(watch the dark beer)-Enjoy!!! -Emmy
Nicole W.
on 8/17/06 5:30 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I love German Food! We went to the German Corner for my birthday dinner... I would say eat what you want in moderation. Have a great time and enjoy Oktoberfest!
lemarie22
on 8/18/06 12:20 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Mike, I've got a little experience traveling to other countries post-op. My suggestion is to sample and taste, but don't go overboard. If you can share plates with someone that's great. If you can order a la carte, that'll work also. Going low carb is an option, but remember that the Germans are famous for their potatoes and schnitzel also so you don't want to miss that. I've asked restaurants to just bring me a taste of various things and they've been very accomodating and don't charge much for it, especially if it's a family owned type of place. I really suggest just limiting amounts and walk everywhere that you can. I actually lost 5 pounds in Spain because I walked, walked, walked. I travel alot with friends and family who tolerate me eating off their plates. I order a salad or soup and mooch off of everyone else. I pitch in for their meals in the end so no one has stabbed me with a fork yet. What I don't suggest doing is letting yourself go out of control because it's hard to get reigned back in. Have a blast! Connie
Most Active