4 week plateau

sallyann
on 8/15/06 2:49 am - page, AZ
Help??? My surgery was June 9th 2006 with Dr Fang. Im approcahing the 4th week of a weight loss plateau. Im following instructions per the books I received from Bridges center. Has anybody had this happen? after the plateau breaks do you have rapid weight loss again? Im down 64 lbs but those lbs were lost the first 4 weeks after surgery. thanks..
Katie W
on 8/15/06 3:53 am - San Tan Valley, AZ
Hi Sally- I had a 4 week plateau not too long ago. I just upped my water, protein, and exercise, and also cut down on the carbs. I lost 4 lbs a few days after I started my plateau-buster plan. Just hang in there, you will lose more. And 64 lbs in one month?!! You are a rock star! I only lost 30 the first month, so be proud of what you have accomplished so far. Good luck! Katie 359/229/199?
sallyann
on 8/15/06 5:35 am - page, AZ
WOW..Katie you went through the same 4 week plateau? its scarey. I have been thinking this is is!! thats all im going to lose.. I will start drinking more water.(its hard, makes me a little sick) and watch the carbs. Thank You for your input. How are you doing? you had surgery about a year ago? Do you continue to lose weight throughout the year? Thanks for your help. Sally
JRinAZ
on 8/15/06 11:09 am - Layton, UT
Hey Sally! My pattern was a 3 to 4 week plateau and then a 10 to 15 pound drop (in one day!).....but, I tried many types of plateau busters on my journey downhill too.....my most successful one was: Increase: Water, exercise, protein...... Decrease: Salt, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, carbs, and of course ZERO sugar and white stuff: potato, rice, milk, pasta, flour..... If I decreased my cheese and increased my protein drinks then I usually had immediate results....like the next day! Hang tight! You're loss is GREAT!!!! Huggggz, Joyce
sallyann
on 8/15/06 11:15 am - page, AZ
whew...its my first plateau and its had me pretty worried! I will try your plateau buster. I know my book says we are to try to get in 1000 calories...do you take in that many in a day and still lose? im so excited to lose this weight once and for all that im feeling a little paranoid. I would love to lost 10-15 lbs in one day!! thank you! sally
JRinAZ
on 8/15/06 11:40 am - Layton, UT
O.K. Miss Sally! 1000 calories is NOT a lot and if you are way under that then your poor little body is hanging on to every little thing that it can right now! ....Seriously...have yourself a big ol fattening protein bar or something and up those calories. Your body will get all happy and relaxed and think it can "give up a few" and you'll be back in business! You've got to shake it up girlfriend! Some of us get into that little post-op eating routine that is the same ol thing. Wake up and eat 2 bites of yogurt....sip a little Crystal light after 45 minutes or so....have a pice of string cheese and a cracker......sip something.....drink a couple of swallows of protein drink just to be able to write it in the journal for the nutritionist to be happy......nibble some cracker and a bite of tuna fish......y'know.....same old thing! ....Adss up at the end of the day to about 600 calories tops! ......Sooooo.....log onto www.fitday.com and seriously enter those bites in there. If you are way under 1000 then add something rich in nutrients and a bit higher in calories....like a banana with a TBSP of peanut butter or something wicked like that! LOL! (things that pack the pounds on the post-op GRADS!!!!) and.....always increase the protein drinks....those calories are perfect cuz everything in those drinks is actually ABSORBED!!!!! Huggggz to a skinny girlfriend! Joyce
sallyann
on 8/16/06 4:37 am - page, AZ
Oh joyce thank you so much for the post! Its devistating to be on a plateau this long. I spoke to Jenel (dietician at Bridges ctr) she said its not uncommon to have a 6 week plateau. she said the scale is a tool to measure weight but not the only tool. She said to measure and watch whats happening to my body...having to buy new cloths because the old ones are baggy? etc etc. The banana and peanut butter sounds simply sinful!! I think I will have that for dinner. And you are also right about getting into a rut eating the same thing day after day. I eat the same because I know the grams and calories and I know it feels ok in my tummy. Im so tired of loosing my tummy when I try new foods. Jenel said this surgery WILL work!! its not uncommonn to have feelings of failure but to not let that ruin my day because it takes time to lose the weight and im doing ok. I do need to up those calories a pinch. Thanks for your support and advice. Sally
Tiffany McGee
on 8/16/06 11:45 am - Glendale, AZ
*HUGS* I just wanted to offer hugs! Call if you need to talk. I've still got family in but I can break away if you need an ear! *HUGS* Tiff
Judy F.
on 8/16/06 5:29 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
Hi Sally, I had surgery on June 8th and also went through a 3 1/2 week plateau that just broke yesterday (I was following my surgeons plan to a t) so you're not alone on this. I thought I was never going to see the numbers move again. I can't really give you any advise other than to make sure you are getting your protein and water and exercising. If you don't see something change, give your surgeon/nutritionist a call and see what they can advise. 64 lbs is awesome. I've lost 43.
sallyann
on 8/16/06 11:40 pm - page, AZ
Hi Judy... You and I are on the same journey at the same time!! Thank you so much for the post. The plateau has scared the daylights out of me! My dietician said the scare is only one way of measurement..when the scale isnt moving be sure to measure inches!! So, lst night I had my daughter measure me. Since 7.27 i have lost 8.5 inches!!!! wooo hooo Im putting the scale away for a week or so and following the calorie requirements, water consumption and exercise! I will win this battle with the scale!! The ditician said its not unusual to hit a plateau that lasts 6WEEKS!!! oh my goodness! She said there is no way that I wont lose the weight. I bet she is right! Good luck, stay in touch ok? Sally
Most Active