Surgery Requirement ? for Dr. Juarez Patients

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/14/06 9:06 am - Tucson, AZ
I had a chemical stress test in May. When I got my surgery package it was marked that I needed a cardio clearance. I called my PCP and was told by the nurse that I needed to make an appointment with him to have an EKG. I thought that was what I had when I went to Pima Heart. Am I confused?
devotchka
on 8/16/06 11:47 pm - tucson, AZ
Becky, hey girl! I just had an appt. for an ECG with an actual cardiologist-I'm pretty sure that's what Juarez is looking for.I already had one done about a year ago for my hysterectomy.An ECG is different than an EKG.-Let me know Emmy
horizontallychallenged
on 8/27/06 2:01 am
Please don't think I'm a know-it-all, I'm a Paramedic and I work with EKG's. I don't know what your doctor wanted, I'm just guessing from what I read, but ... The ECG and EKG are the same thing, electrocardiogram. An EKG/ECG measures the electrical "energy" voltage being made and distributed through your heart, it doesn't measure contractions (contractility) at all. Simply put, a Chemical Stress Test is done to increase the work load on the heart just like exercise would normally do. They than measure the contractility, vessel dilation and blood flow through your heart. An EKG is normally done while your stress test is being done. Maybe he/she just wants their own 12 lead EKG done, it doesn't hurt and only take a minute once all the leads are hooked up. Your doctor may be requesting something further such as cardiac cath or an Echocardiograph if they weren't done yet.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/28/06 10:20 am - Tucson, AZ
I am all clear on my cardio clearance. I faxed my record from Pima Heart and that is what they wanted. I went for my pre-op tests today. The worst thing was the blood gas test and it wasn't all that bad. So now I am just waiting to have surgery.
Linda S.
on 8/28/06 9:07 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Glad to hear things are moivng along for you. I have finally decided to give up the ghost, so to speak. I have been pushing myself to go to work, and missing 3 or 4 days a week. I have surrendered to my body with all its pain and insomnia, and put in for a medical leave of absence until I have my wls. I so look forward to "watching" you on your journey. Thanks for the info on the blood gas...smile.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/28/06 11:56 pm - Tucson, AZ
You are so welcome. I thought my posting how the pre-op tests went would help some of the others who are aprehesive about it. I know exactly how you feel. I have been there in the past. I forced myself to go to work and anywhere for that matter. I have Fibromyalgia and the pain got the best of me. I let it take over and gained even more weight. I noticed on your profile that you like Betty Boop, walking and will have knee replacement after WLS. That is exactly me too. Good luck and I hope you get approved soon.
Linda S.
on 8/29/06 4:41 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks Becky, I am just getting all the testing done, I hope to get my surgery date within the next two weeks! I did go on medical leave as of today and I know it is the right thing for me. I was trying to push, when I am all in...smile. I did let the knee pain, and other things get to me badly, resulting in an additional 90 pound weight gain in a year and a half. Thank God, for WLS, and the support of you guys. ...Just waiting...smile.
Most Active