Thyroid Disorder

alligatorpgr
on 8/14/06 5:14 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
My PCP called today and said ,low and behold we found a problem. (And all this time I think he just thought I was just lazy). You have a low thyroid issue. Hmmmm, finally something physical that I can put my hands on to explain why I try so hard, yet don't see results. He was none too thrilled last week when I was talking about getting the GB, but now he's changed his mind and is going to write my LOM. Here's my question, he's going to put me on a thyroid meds, is this going to hurt my chances at WLS? I've been reading up on this all day now, and even if my levels returned to normal, I still don't think I am going to be able to lose the 100+ lbs that I need too. Any thoughts???? TIA Alli
Melissa P
on 8/15/06 1:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Alli, No, I don't believe this will hurt your chances. My 14 year old daughter has hypothyroidism and is very overweight. She has been on quite a few differant doses of synthroid medication and just finally found one that is working. Her endrocronoligist. I know I spelled that wrong, sorry. He said that this would probably help her stop the gaining. But she would have to really work hard to lose the weight she has already gained. So what I am saying is even if you find the right dose of synthroid it probably will not help you lose the extra weight. Just keep you from gaining any more. Melissa
Sandy in Tucson
on 8/15/06 2:00 am - Tucson, AZ
Thyroid meds help you to loose weight. I was on Levoxyl before surgery and I am still on it now. same doseage...nothing adjusted...yet. Sandy 195 lbs down............347/152/145
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/15/06 11:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Sandy, what dosage are you on? I take that as well.
Ginger
on 8/15/06 4:34 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Alli, Congradulations! You have a NEW co-morb that can only be used on your side to get the wls!!! Good Luck and don't give up or give in. You deserve this surgery! Hugs Ginger
LauraM
on 8/20/06 9:19 pm - Hereford, AZ
Hello Alli, Laura here... I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidsim for over 23 yrs now. The dose of synthroid I take is 0.225mg a day. I have been told it is suppose to help me; but I will confess I don't see any change with me.. It must be one of those secret behind the scenes medicines that doesn't have an "outward" affect. For me anyways! I believe having been diagnosed with 'hypothyroidism' will help you WLS. I began my journey to Gastric Bypass Surgery this past June 2006. I would recommend Alli, you attend any local Weight Loss Support Group meetings when you can even "before" you have the surgery... the support you get from that will be AMAZING!! I'd love to hear how things are going for you Alli, as things progress. Don't give up hope ever! Keep the Faith Alli! ~~Laura~~ Hopeful & Determined
Most Active