Miscommunication???(Long)

Tiffany McGee
on 8/9/06 12:59 pm - Glendale, AZ
Hi everyone!!! O.k. I have a friend who had WLS several years prior to me, and has just started getting back into contact with me. She totally disagrees with all of my Dr.'s teachings and thinks that I'm doing the whole WLS thing wrong. She thinks my surgeon is crazy - says I should be on bed rest for the first month (walking for 10 mins every hour), drinking clear liquids for the first 3 weeks, and not cleaning/lifting/etc. So with that said HELP! Here is what I've been told to do from my surgeon.... Prior to leaving the hospital my surgeon said to go ahead and start mushy foods (3 days out WOW ). Also drink lots of water 48 to 64 ounces a day. And try to get in at least 50 to 75 grams of protein a day. Take your vitamin supplements daily. Walk, Walk, Walk! Now, once I left the hospital I only tried refried beans (1/2 oz) and another food that escapes me. I didn't have a real good time after either "meal" so I decided to stop all food intake and stick to protien and water and vitamins. My postop follow-up exam was on Friday the 4th and when I told my Dr. that I had wasn't really eating real foods he was shocked. In all honesty I really didn't want to start real foods until week 3 anyways. But I will admit that I have had 2 "meals" a day that were protein based - Scrambled eggs, Cottage Cheese, soup - all of which are on the mushy food list from my surgeons office that I can eat. I limit myself because I do get FULL very quickly and I don't want any problems.... (this isn't on my surgeons list ) Now I'm also a clean freak, so I am cleaning my house on a daily basis - but I only pick one big task a day as oppose to the 5 or 6 I use to do. Today was vacuuming the house - helps with stretching, and walking but I didn't move the furniture like I usually do. Tomorrow I'm probably going to mop the floors. I don't sit idle very well, when I'm bored I think of food or want to sleep. Can't sleep all the time, and I can't walk all the time either. I do walk daily 1/2 mile in the morning 1/2 mile at night. So what am I doing wrong? HELP! Thanks Everyone! I know I've been researching this for years, but my brains seems to have forgotten common things... Take Care! Tiff
azpebblesrn
on 8/9/06 1:28 pm - Surprise, AZ
Tiffany... it sounds like you are doing excellent... you are following your doctor's instructions about being up and moving around... increasing the amount each day. When it comes to the food... if you feel more comfortbale with the liquids and protein rather than the solids...there is nothing wrong with that.... The key is that you are following your surgeon's recommendations and are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. Keep up the good work.
Tiffany McGee
on 8/10/06 12:26 am - Glendale, AZ
Thank Victoria... Other than the cleaning, I'm following my surgeon's instructions. I'm such a freak about a clean house - Doesn't help with my inlaws coming down in 2 days! That's why I"m only taking on one big task a day..... Take Care! Tiff
Arizcurl
on 8/9/06 2:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
Tiff, Didn't your Dr give you a pamplet with what you should do and what you should eat the first 3 weeks and then on. I think also that you should drink liquids for the first couple of weeks but I'm not a Dr. Do you think maybe you did not hear your Dr right? As for cleaning my Dr told me not to lift for a couple of weeks but I coulld dust and do light things. But I have a handicap so thats all I cand do anyway.As long as you feel good keep up the good work. but again just because you feel good don't over do it Regards Carol
Tiffany McGee
on 8/10/06 12:28 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Carol - Yeah my dr. gave us a packet of what we should be eating and doing. I'm following his plan - except for the cleaning. I'm not overdoing it, mainly because my DH would be REAL mad at me if I did... He wants me to take it easy, but I'm a busy body and a neat freak! Thanks! Tiff
JRinAZ
on 8/9/06 2:45 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there sweet friend, This is YOUR journey and many of us will share OUR opinions on what you should be doing. The bottom line is that you are following your surgeon's program to the best of your ability...... I think your choices sound GREAT! ....However, that being said, I would reconsider the cleaning routine for now. Surgeons of every type counsel their post-ops to "take it easy" with lifting, pushing, sweeping motions. Those inner stitches and the rerouting of your system can be irritated or even undone with the wrong type of action. You've worked so hard to get this surgery and getting fixes from oopsies is sometimes not even possible; let alone fool proof. Give things a chance to heal. Let your family do the cleaning for a bit. Walking is the best thing in the world and you need to move your body to get the parts all up and running properly....but, walking does not mess with your new system like the cleaning might. As for your friend. ..... How about a "thanks for your opinion"....buh bye!!!! Big huggggz to you! Joyce
Tiffany McGee
on 8/10/06 12:33 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi there Miss Joyce! I don't know why I let her get to me... she is one of my oldest friends... and after several years of not really communicating, cards here and there, she's here to "visit". And I let her get to me... I'll take it easy and maybe I"ll let Mike do the kitchen floor this week. I'm definitly not lifting (not even lifting the munchkin much to his dismay). I'm just a neat freak..... *HUGS* How are you feeling since PS? Take Care! Tiff
JRinAZ
on 8/10/06 12:06 pm - Layton, UT
Hey Tiff! I just got home from my 2nd day back to work.....my First full day! I'm pooped! ...thought I was doing so great and that I HAD to get back to work for a little excitment. I LOVE my job to pieces and it's so much fun being back there BUT....yup! I'm wiped out! ....It will probably take longer for the swelling to leave the "house" but oh well......I'm doing pretty good! Thanks for asking sweetie pie! ....I definitely like the fact that I have more lap (no big lumps of fat skin sitting on it! LOL!) and I like having a little curve to my waste (Hallelumah for Lipo!!!)....but I have that Ken Doll swollen look going on...definitely weird! Now for YOU.....how about climbing back into some jammies? Especially if the in-laws are coming down. Then they'll know you're not up to feeling perfect and will chip in!......Just enjoy your friend and take her jabber with a huge grain of salt. She probably means well and probably loves you to pieces!!!! How could she not, right? I'm hoping we can connect at one of our support get togethers someday soon!!!! Huggggz to you! Joyce
Melissa P
on 8/10/06 1:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Tiff, You are doing fine. Don't let your friend get to you. All of our surgeons have differant guide lines. Her doctor sounded really strict. On Scottsdale Bariatrics program you only ate Sugar free jello and broth the first week and then started the soft foods. Your new stomach will tell you what will be okay for you or not with the soft foods. We were to get up and walk every hour except for at night when you slept. And you could clean as you felt up to it as long as you were not lifting or reaching your hands above your head. So I have to say I was cleaning one week after surgery. My husband could care a less if the house is clean or not and my teenage daughter cleans her bathroom and her room only. So that left only me to clean. As long as you are not in any pain and not feeling too tired, I think that you are fine. Melissa
Judy F.
on 8/10/06 12:21 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
Hi Tiff, It sounds to me like your doing everything correct. I am a Scottsdale Bariatrics Patient. I had my surgery on a Thursday and my first soft meal on the following Tuesday at my follow-up class. The biggest thing is that you are following your surgeon's orders. I would go insane being on bedrest for the first month. Most surgeons with any type of surgery want you active as quickly as possible without overdoing it. It lessens your chance of complications and helps you to heal better. If your friend had the surgery done several years ago, maybe the way of doing WLS was different. As well, all dr's are different and have different programs. With that being said, PLEASE take it easy on the cleaning. You may feel great, but don't overdo it. At this stage it would still be possible to open one of the incisions.
Most Active