Im home, I hurt and oy vey

victorious711
on 8/6/06 1:03 pm - flagstaff, AZ
Well I got discharged from the hosptial this afternoon. I am in so much pain still. The first day they tried morphine, but I apparently I am allergic to it, so then they tried a few other things. The stuff they 'sent me home with 'is liquid tylenol 3 with codeine. I am hurting so much....I think its all the gas. I have barely passed any of it and the thought of a BM is foreign to me. I am wondering if I should take some milk of magnesia or a stool softener of some type. I can barely get fluids in, I just feel so bloated Please tell me this is normal and will go away. I am up and walking but it just hurts so much and I keep getting the hiccups everytime I walk, and THEY are tortorous. any words of advice would be helpful
JRinAZ
on 8/6/06 2:59 pm - Layton, UT
Ouch! I'm feeling your pain like it was yesterday for me! That gas is soooooooooo painful and so difficult to moooooooooove! My doc prescribed a "Brown ****tail"....it was 2 parts prun juice to 1 part Milk of Magnesia. Yuck! But.....it moved the gas and made the 1st #2 duty on the potty bearable! I recommend walking with a small pillow that you can pull in tightly to your incision area so that when you have to sneeze, cough, laugh or ......TOOT...you can grab something soft tightly to squeeze and buffer the pain. Seriously....I tell patients to Walk, drink, toot and then start that pattern over! ......The gas will eventually pass but in the meantime just force the fluids. I am allaergic to pain meds with codeine so demoral works well for me. If your pain med isn't working then tell the doc you need something prescribed that is stronger! Hang tight sweetie pie! Congrats on making it through!.....Call your doc if the misery isn't manageable! Big healing huggggz to you! Joyce
victorious711
on 8/7/06 3:08 am - flagstaff, AZ
I've got a call in to my docs office now (waiting for a return call) to see if its ok if I take some milk of magnesia. Sounds like it will be ok but I will wait to see what NNacy at Dr Bergers office says. I just want THIS part to be over with. Dr Berger said I am to stay on clear liquids for 3 more days (he said that yesterday so now its 2 more days). Once I move on, can I have ANY kind of 'creme of' soup? just curious what you all ate at that point? Oh and tom ake it extra specially nice they say I got a nice little UTI....so I have to take these horse pills twice a day. I'm telling you they are HUGE. And thanks Sondra. I didnt realise you had tried to call again, but Im not surprised, both cell phones were going off constantly it seemed.
jinn
on 8/7/06 11:34 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Victoria, You had asked about "cream of' soups and I wanted to share with you what I really enjoyed for soup after my surgery. Campbell's has the cream soups that are good to cook with and not that great to eat... but they do have a soup called "Soup at Hand" that you drink and it is soooo good! They have Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, and Cream of Potato, as well as Cream of Broccoli and Cheese....I highly recomned this! They are about $1.80 at Wal-mart and $2.00 at the grocery store but to me it was worth it..lol Hope you feel better soon! P.S. Watch out for the tomato soup - it has too much sugar... I made the mistake of not looking and I dumped!
Sarah C.
on 8/6/06 3:00 pm - Mesa, AZ
Victoria, Glad to see your home!! I had the hiccups alot also, and still actually hiccup alot and I am 3 weeks out!! They said that is a way to help get the gas out! Just keep on walking and it does get better!! Good luck to you, and congrats! Sarah
Sondra J. S.
on 8/6/06 4:03 pm - Show Low, AZ
Victoria, Hi, I called a few times, but never did get to talk to you, called at a bad time I guess. I'm sooo glad your home. I reported to everyone how you were doing. I'm so glad that your ok and made it through. The pain will go away and your a LOSER finally!!!! Welcome to the club!!!! Sondra
BIG F.
on 8/6/06 4:04 pm - chandler, AZ
Hey Victoria, I know right now it may not seem like it, but everyday you will feel better. Hang in there P.S. Like Joyce said if meds not working call your doctor. Lamont
Sondra J. S.
on 8/7/06 4:53 am - Show Low, AZ
Victoria, Dr. Berger also sent me home with Tylenol With codine for the pain management part. it seemed like it did little to help the pain, but of course neither did the cat running across my stomach the night I got home from the hospital, lol.... I'm glad you are home though. I may call your cell later tonight just to check on you though. You can e-mail me your home number so I don't run up your cell bill, lol, that is if you want to. Your hubby is very nice He seemed so concerned about you when the uppger GI made you sickly. sounds like a keeper!! You can call me if you want to. My cell is 928-207-1840 I'm at work, but if you need to call you can, don't hesitate!! I've been there with the same doc!! lol hope you feel better soon angelette!! Sondra
vquigley
on 8/7/06 11:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Victoria, I empathize very much and think that you have gotten some good advice already. I did use the pillow against the stomach and that does help. Like Joyce said, walking, walking, walking helps. I finally had my first BM 6 days after surgery. They warned me about hiccups in the hospital but I haven't had anything really tortuous. It does get better and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to call your doctor. Wishing you skinny wishes, Virginia
LisaSpi
on 8/7/06 12:11 pm - Tucson, AZ
The gassy pain is normal and it will go away..I got the hiccups real bad after surgery too..I still do if I eat too much or too fast and they hurt like the dickens! Hope you are feeling better soon!
Most Active