My PCP is a piece of work.....

alligatorpgr
on 8/4/06 4:28 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Went to see my PCP today to get the referal letter for surgery, and he advises me, per my insurance I don't need one. I said well, that's not what the insurance told me, but it doesn't matter because Dr. Blackstone requires it as part of her packet. He changes the subject, asks about my stress level, am I eating right and exercising, and I answer all his questions, and let him know that although I seem like a healthy over-weight person, I am hurting from sun-up to sun-down, and my asthma is getting worse, and he makes a comment like "you're only 100 lbs overweight", and I said "I KNOW", but the scale keeps going up and not down. So he advises he will talk to his insurance coordinator one more time, so he left the room, and comes back and say's, "AGAIN", that my insurance doesn't require a referal......He's killing me! Does anyone know if Dr. Blackstone will accept my packet without the referal letter? TIA Alli
Sandy in Tucson
on 8/4/06 11:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
Show him Dr. Blackstones requirements in black and white.
K B (Tucson)
on 8/5/06 4:00 am - Tucson, AZ
Why stay wqiths this bozo? Get another doc!
Nicole W.
on 8/5/06 5:37 am - Cave Creek, AZ
maybe if you say "letter of medical neccessity" instead of referral he will get it!
JRinAZ
on 8/5/06 7:26 am - Layton, UT
Alli, Try rephrashing with him. It's actually called a LOM = Letter of medical necessity. He's probably confusing a referral which is needed by some insurances with the LOM which is required by your surgeon AND your insurance. I had a pcp who didn't get it. I copied off some sample letters and gave them to him. He finally sent me the most beautiful letter which ended up being even better than the sample ones. Maybe there's still hope for your pcp! Good luck! Hang in there! Joyce
alligatorpgr
on 8/6/06 8:15 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks for the info, I thought about changing PCP's, but didn't want to slow down the process, phrasing it as a letter of medical necessity sounds much better. Thank you all for your support
Melissa P
on 8/7/06 12:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Alli, My PCP did not support me in giving me a letter either. He said I could do it on my own. Sure I could that is why I had been on every diet and sure I lost weight. But never kept it off and gained more after that. I did get a letter from my OB and Scottsdale Bariatric accepted that letter. I had quite a few issues with my periods that were caused from my weight. Good Luck! Call Scottsdale Bariatric and see what they say? Melissa
MARY OTU
on 8/8/06 3:29 am - PHOENIX, AZ
My PCP co-ordinated ALL my care and tests: 6 month medically sup. diet, etc. She was wonderfull! She followed every directive from SBC/Blackstine's office and even called them on several occassions. Get a new doctor. You want someone who will support you and provide the long term healthcare afterwards as well. Good luck, Mary
Most Active