Bridges pre-op

Darlene X
on 8/6/06 2:37 am - Maricopa, AZ
Upper GI doesn't have anything to do with your gall bladder. The upper GI shows your insides, so they can make sure there are no suprises... it follows your whole digestive tract.... the only thing that is to do with the gall bladder is the ultra sound. I very much doubt they would let you do pre-op testing anywhere else, they are doing it to make sure your ready for surgery and need it all in house and ready to go. The pre-op testing is done at the hospital.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/6/06 4:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks for answering my question. Are they able to use the butterfly to do the blood gas testing. I too am not thrilled with needles and always request the butterfly.
Darlene X
on 8/6/06 6:12 am - Maricopa, AZ
Sorry, I dont know what a butterfly is?? Honestly the blood gas test was easy, and not that sore.... It was the Upper GI that was traumatic for me! LOL
Linda S.
on 8/6/06 12:43 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Tell you what..I will ask on Tuesday when I go in., about the butterfly. Thanks for all the tips on the protein drinks guys...
Nicole W.
on 8/7/06 3:26 am - Cave Creek, AZ
"Thanks for answering my question. Are they able to use the butterfly to do the blood gas testing. I too am not thrilled with needles and always request the butterfly." Butterfly is using the really tiny needle, it has the plastic on the sides to actually hold the need because the needle is so small and then it has a very little tube that goes to the collection area... I used to be a nursing student and had to do Arterial Blood Gas draws many times... I passed out the first time i had to do it, because I was poking the poor woman a few times and I know how badly it hurt. It's usually done in the wrist and it gets the numbers of the Oxygen, Nitrogen and other important numbers that are in your blood stream that are nurish your lungs with the oxygen we need... since the butterfly needles are so small I don't think they can use them. Good thing about getting all these test done at the hospital is that you will have the pro's that do these tests on a daily basis doing the draws for you... my veins fall, especially if I don't drink water, so I always warn them!
Sarah C.
on 8/4/06 3:15 pm - Mesa, AZ
Darlene, pretty much said it all! The upper GI was yucky!! You have to drink some barium (sp) and that was pretty bad. The blood gas was more painful than I thought it was going to be, but you manage!! Good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!! Sarah
Linda S.
on 8/4/06 5:55 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I have a question....how do they give the blood gas test. Is that the one in the inner wrist? Thanks
Sarah C.
on 8/5/06 2:20 am - Mesa, AZ
Ya, that's the one! They have to get the blood from an artery (sp) instead of a vain!! That was my first experience with that, but the nurse that did it was very good and got it on the first try! Which is very good, I hate when they have to poke around! HTH, Sarah
Linda S.
on 8/6/06 1:24 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks Sarah for the info.I hope whom ever does my blood gas is good...I *hate* needles,and that is such a tender spot. I appreciate what you wrote me about looking past that to all the benfits of surgery and of course you are right. I am still gonna ask if there is another way to do it...sigh! In the past, I have asked for the butterfly, which is a tiny needle... Grin! Well, on Tuesday, I will consult with Dr. Fang, am so excited. I have a questions, what protein drinks have you guys found to be the best? Thanks
Sarah C.
on 8/6/06 2:48 am - Mesa, AZ
I have tried probably 15 different flavors, and I have FINALLY found 100% Whey Protein from GNC it is chocolat carmel flavored, and I mix it with water. It is the only one so far, that I can tolerate! Everyone is different, so you just may have to buy some samples to find the one that is right for you! Vitalady.com sells sample packets, that is what I bought, and is better then buying big containers and then wasteing them cuz you can't tolerate them!! Dr. Fang is so nice, you will be glad that you picked him!! Good luck! Sarah
Most Active