Bridges pre-op

debrahn
on 8/4/06 5:28 am - Goodyear, AZ
I got my surgery date last week (9/12) and was told I would be getting a pre-op package explaining things. I haven't received it yet and I'm curious. How long before you received your packet? What information is in this packet? Does Dr. Juarez require a pre-op diet? What pre-op tests are done at St. Lukes? I've already scheduled for the cardiac and pulmonary (have sleep apnea) clearance. I'm a low BMI if that makes any difference. Heck, I'm like a little kid at Christmas waiting for this package. LOL I'm hoping it's going to clue me in on what to expect. Any information you can give is appreciated. Thanks!
Darlene X
on 8/4/06 5:57 am - Maricopa, AZ
You get a seperate letter that addresses when your pre-op testing is scheduled, and your pre-op training day.... they require no pre-op diet... just full liquids till noon the day before surgery, after noon clear liquids, then nothing after midnight. It also details the bowel prep and also your night before and morning of showers--- with a soap called hibiclens. The actual package they give you gives details about eating, lists of food you can have at each stage, recipes etc.... Its a good package--- I never had to ask what I should and should not be eating because they give a lot of that information in it. It also adresses other issues you may run into-- talks about dumping etc.... I got mine like 1-2 weeks before surgery.
debrahn
on 8/4/06 6:14 am - Goodyear, AZ
Thank you! That's very helpful. I knew about the pre-op testing - it's usually the Tuesday before surgery, right? I didn't know about the pre-op training day. What does that consist of? Is the pre-op testing and pre-op training on the same day or different days? I'm trying to save my sick time for the surgery - so hope they're together. Again, thanks!
Darlene X
on 8/4/06 6:23 am - Maricopa, AZ
Nope, youve got them mixed up.... The pre-op training day is usually the Tuesday before surgery. You can actually go any Tuesday before your surgery though--- they run from 8.30am-12.00pm if I recall the time correctly in the room where the seminars are held--- it's you and any other pre-op's ready to go under... lots of review on eating etc with the nutritionist and questions & answers etc... they give you stuff you need for the hospital-- your spirometer etc The pre-op testing is scheduled and you'll get the day and time on the letter..... could be any day but normally takes about 4-5 hours at the hospital. Not the most fun thing in the world... It is not combined with the training day...
debrahn
on 8/4/06 6:41 am - Goodyear, AZ
Dang! That means an extra sick day I hadn't planned on. I'm an exempt employee and I get charged for a whole day sick leave if I work under 4 hours in a day. It's getting a little hard explaining all this time-off. My boss is the only one at work that knows that I'm having WLS. Oh, well ....I'm just grateful to be having the surgery. Again, thanks! You've been very helpful.
Darlene X
on 8/4/06 7:20 am - Maricopa, AZ
Maybe you could call and see if the could schedule you for pre-op testing in the afternoon after your pre-op training class (Same day)? They may be able to work something out...
Sarah C.
on 8/4/06 9:09 am - Mesa, AZ
The only problem with waiting for the afternoon is you have to be fasting for your blood work!!! That includes no water, they are very specific about that! I got in at 7:00 am, and I was done by 10:00. The timing wasn't to bad, and then maybe you could still make it into work!! HTH, and good luck yo you!! Sarah
debrahn
on 8/4/06 9:33 am - Goodyear, AZ
That's a good point. What tests do they do besides blood work? Anything painful? Thanks!
Darlene X
on 8/4/06 12:18 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Regular Blood tests, an ultra sound, x-rays, an upper GI (YUCK), breathing tests, Blood gas test (OUCH).... ummm can't think of anything else right now.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/5/06 11:36 am - Tucson, AZ
If you are one of those people who they have problems finding veins would you suggest having it done in the hospital???? I was going to ask if I could have my pre-op testing done in Tucson since I live here, but I am not thrilled about having people here poke around finding veins, or artieries for that matter. Will they do the upper GI if you already had your Gallbladder removed?
Most Active