Hello from a Newbie

SisterMadly
on 8/2/06 8:08 am
Hi everyone, I just signed up and figured I would introduce myself. My name is Anna. I am hoping to have surgery. I have to see my PCP for a "clinical review" on the 16th, and I am not exactly sure what that is going to be like. I just found out that Dr. Maxwell does not accept my insurance (united healthcare choice plus), and I am trying to figure out how to find someone (clinical psychologist) that is on my plan. I am really nervous about this whole thing. I am so afraid of getting my hopes up (they are already there I am afraid) and then being let down. Ever since I made the decision to pursue wls, I have not been sleeping well at all. From what I have seen, this message board is wonderful and supportive, as well as informative, which is exactly what I need, so thanks in advance to all of you : )
BIG F.
on 8/2/06 9:55 am - chandler, AZ
Welcome aboard Lamont
SisterMadly
on 8/3/06 3:19 am
Thanks, Lamont. You have a very nice smile. :-)
Lisa_Rene
on 8/2/06 11:17 am - El Mirage, AZ
Welcome Anna. I'm fairly new myself and have found this site and postings so helpful. I had a meeting myself with Dr. Fang on Monday, so I guess I'm on my way. I have Aetna insurance myself and trying to get as much info on them as I can. I'm so afraid of not getting approved since I've finally decided to go through with the process. So hang in there. Everyone is so helpful and someone is bound to have an answer for you one way or another. Just thought I would say Hi since i'm out your way..lol Take care and keep asking questions. Lisa
SisterMadly
on 8/3/06 3:11 am
Lisa, I saw one of your posts where you said you went to the seminar last Friday. I was there too. Way up front! Just wanted to mention it.
Linda S.
on 8/2/06 2:18 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi welcome...smile. UHC Choice Plus has an excellent online site. I do not know your health situation, but for me, it was bad enough for them to do what they call a pre-determination. I called up one day (to member services UHC), I asked her if I was covered, she told me the details of my particular plan. She then started to tell me that your doctor has to recommend, something about loop holes, at which time I "lost it", which of course is so not like me..hehe. I started bawling, and she was like...wait wait, we do have a pre-determination clause, she connected me to a wonderful lady by the name of Jill Stagg, who asked me some questions, regarding blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, which I don't have by the way, and many more co-morbidities that make for a "good" wls candidate. A bitter sweet victory indeed. Long story short, if you can get started like this, it would be great, but if you can't membership services will find a barriatric psychologist for you. I am blessed, it took me years to make up my mind and so far I am sailing at a fast rate. I am glad I did not have my evaluation done by Dr. Maxwell, not that she is not a fine doctor, but it would be totally out of pocket for me and *worse*because,and this is just in MY case mind you, I was told they did not want a psychologist that is affliated with a barriatrics program.She had only high praises for St Lukes. I just had part one of my psych exam, and it cost me exactly 20.00 , the second part will cost the same...how kewl is that? I was blessed to have Dr. Maxwell do a class at St Lukes and she is dynamic. My head exam is being done by Dr. Kenneth Goldberg, and he nice. If you need a cardiologist and pulmonoligist, they have those too. Darlene found hers on the site, I am lazy so I called...smile. I got a few names and was lucky enough to find the same one I saw at Banner last year.I always make sure they are IN network. Here's what I like about my health plan, and once again, I am only speaking from my own experience, Jill Stagg advised me that she will be with me not only up to surgery, but for 9 months out, making sure everything is alright, and that I am getting the care I need. I wish you the very very best.. -Linda
SisterMadly
on 8/3/06 3:30 am
Hi Linda, Thank you so much for the help and encouragement. How did you find Dr. Goldberg? Did UHC tell you they did not want a bariatric psychologist associated with a bariatrics program? I am assuming that it does not matter to your surgeon who you see. Is that correct? Let me know how it goes with Dr. Goldberg. How long it takes to get his opinion, etc. Thanks again so much. Anna
Linda S.
on 8/3/06 1:22 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi there, My psych exam was a requirement that had to be done through my jobs behavorial health program,that is Wells Fargo. I do not know how your insurance is linked, but yes, he was found for me. I know there is another person who had him, and I do not think she works for Wells. Dr. Goldberg has an office in Tempe, but also comes to Phoenix by appointment. I would suggest you contact your membership services and find out the stipulations of your insurance in this matter.They will be happy to supply you with info and numbers. Also, yes, I was told by my plan that Dr. Maxwells reports are not acceptable, BUT, those are the specifics of my UHC Choice Plus, through Wells Fargo.She (Dr. Maxwell), is excellent and promised me a quick visit when I am an inpatient. If one thing has become clear to me on this board is that health care carries MANY different plans, and it depends on your specific one, which I kind of already knew, having been employed by Cigna in the past. UHC is excellent, and their membership services have been nothing but kind to me. My exam was graded the next day, I am told, and I have my final meeting with Dr. Goldberg on 8/8, right after Dr. Fangs consultation, literally, Dr. Fang at 9 and Dr.Goldberg at 10:30. I will keep you posted. Keep smiling, and feel free to ask me anything. This forum has been great for me. This is YOUR health though.... God bless, Linda
Linda S.
on 8/3/06 1:45 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I just noticed where you live. I had membership services do a radial search for me as I did not want to be traveling miles and miles, and they were able to find all my doctors a short distance from me. The last of my 2 cents for the night.
Darlene X
on 8/3/06 1:24 am - Maricopa, AZ
You have a good insurance plan. I also have UHC Choice Plus--- both Hubby and I were approved in 7 days with very little needing to be done. As long as your employer doesnt have an exclusion then your good! I love Dr Maxwell, and we chose to pay the out of pocket expense to go through her instead of someone on our UHC plan... ($95 x2 for psych clearance with Dr Maxwell). I had seen some horror stories of people going to psychologists who were not familiar or used to working with obese/WLS prospects--- and some Psych's taking months and months to send clearance, and those who were biased against weight loss surgery..... so the $190 was worth it to me to have it done quickly and by someone I knew was used to obese people, and the depression etc that comes with it. Plus she gets everything quickly to Dr Fang & Juarez's office, so there is no delay. Good luck! Darlene
Most Active