I heard that...

kayjaybee
on 7/26/06 12:13 pm - Tucson, AZ
.....scratch that, I read that heparin shots in the belly are to be expected before and after the surgery. Is this so? Also, from the same source, she states many anesthesiologists like to intubate weight loss patients while they're still awake - drugged and numbed, but awake. blink blink Fang and Juarez patients.. is there any validity to these statements? (please say no, please say no) Hugs, K
lemarie22
on 7/26/06 12:44 pm - Glendale, AZ
Deep cleansing breaths. Breathe, breath.... Heparin shots are not unusual and I got them. They didn't hurt, but I looked like my surgeon did my rny with a baseball bat. I think they usually only intubate an awake patient if they are very super morbidly obese. I don't personally know of anyone who was awake for intubation and the only ones I've read about had breathing issues because of their weight. I'm going to give yuo a call this weekend so we can touch base. Hugs, Connie
K B (Tucson)
on 7/26/06 12:46 pm - Tucson, AZ
I got one right before the band was placed and it did not hurt at all. That was a big surprise to me that I felt no pain as i am very anxious about needles. Don't worry.
Nicole W.
on 7/26/06 1:02 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
heparin is normal before any major surgery, to avoid blood clots in the body. mostly get them before surgery, but depending upon the surgeon can continue to get one after surgery. my grandmother had one before her hip surgery and then another in the evening after the surgery... that continued for 2 weeks. I am not sure if it was because she was bed bound for so long, but it is normal with any surgery to get the heparin.
Sarah C.
on 7/26/06 2:07 pm - Mesa, AZ
K, Don't be scared, you will get 1 heparin shot pre surgery, but the needle is so small you don't even feel it, and as far as the intubation, that did not happen with me! They put you very to sleep first. Relax, all will be fine. You will continue to get the shots until you leave the hospital, no biggy!! Good luck! Sarah
Darlene X
on 7/26/06 11:42 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Im a Fang Patient... The intubate you AFTER your asleep, and remove it before you wake. As for Heparin, yup you get shots for the first few days--- you can't even feel them. I didn't once feel any of the heparin shots in my belly, the needle is so thin and tiny. Darlene
Linda S.
on 7/28/06 12:09 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I am a "Fanger" too. Big question for me is, do they give you pre-admission shot on the INSIDE of your wrist for anything. I read somewhere that someone had that. I am a HUGE Woosey!!!
Melissa P
on 7/27/06 1:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
I was intubated after I was asleep. It was taken out before I woke up also. I did get the heparin shots before and after surgery for a few days. They were giving me more than the normal patients because my dad died of a blood clot about 12 years ago after a car accident. So they wanted to be extra careful of me getting one. You are going to do fine with your surgery. This was my first surgery other than oral surgery and I was scared also. It is perfectly normal to feel like this. Melissa
Tiffany McGee
on 7/27/06 1:30 am - Glendale, AZ
O.k. Dokie! I asked about heparin shots at my last pre-surgical appointment. As I understand it, you receive them pre surgery and then again after surgery and the remaining days in the hospital. But I was also told that the needle was VERY VERY small and they give you the shot in the tummy. Being afraid of needs, I about lost it. But I'll muddle my way through it tomorrow! Intubation, from what I've been told, will happy once you are in sleepy land becuase you are more relaxed and will not fight the tube. The remove also happens while in sleepy land because you are still relaxed. Many good luck wishes! Take Care Tiff
sallyann
on 7/27/06 3:21 am - page, AZ
Im a Fang patient also, the shots were nothing to be afraid of. I didnt even feel them. I had compression booties on that would squeeze and release my feet for the first 24 hours too. The staff know what they are doing. OK to trust them. I was out about 2 minutes after arriving in the operating room..and didnt wake till recovery! Best wishes, Sally
Most Active