Why did I have surgery ?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 8:46 am - Gilbert, AZ
I had my surgery on 7/11/06. Today I am not having a great day. I cant help thinking about all the food I am missing out on. I am wondering why I did this . Then I think to be happy any healthy. But I am having a real hard time with the happy part. I feel like food was all I had to be happy and now I have nothing. If I could reverse the surgery today I would just because of my mood. I am worried I am not mentally strong enough to make it through this. I go outside and feel so weak from the heat so I go back inside and cool off. I am going crazy with not being able to eat what I want. Someone please help me.
Melissa P
on 7/21/06 9:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
Wow Jeremy! I am sorry that you are feeling like this. I know that this will not make you feel any better. But you are going through the buyers remorse thing that they talked about in the pre-op class. Maybe you should contact Scottsdale bariatric and they can get you set up with some behavioral modification sessions. Hope you are feeling better soon. Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 9:18 am - Gilbert, AZ
Melissa thank you. I am hoping this too will past. I cant help think that other people have felt this way. I just never realized how attached to food I was. This is not going to be easy mentally.
Sandy in Tucson
on 7/21/06 9:33 am - Tucson, AZ
trust me I had 2nd thoughts........................but as time moves on and you loose weight.......you start to think diff. about food. I eat to live now...not live to eat. I am 192 lbs down...........I was in 4-5x shirt pre-op.....now I buy size mediums. I still eat......I just choose not to eat like I did before surgery. I want to keep the weight off....forever. No, it is not easy weight loss surgery........you will have many bad days....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel......the new you and the healthy you. Get into therapy or a support group or 2.......reach out for help if you need it. Sandy
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 9:37 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thank you Sandy. I greatly appreciate you response. It makes it much easier to reach for help.
JRinAZ
on 7/21/06 10:11 am - Layton, UT
Hey there friend! Your feelings are very normal! REally! I recovered from my OPEN Rny in a reclinder watching the Food channel in mourning for Heaven's Sake! It is quite normal to go through some highs and lows of depression and even some mourning, Food and the surrounding social stigma that goes with it is such a deeply entrenched part of our exhistence. It's like "bye bye" to our comfort zone and to our past!!! But...you've made a great choice and now you need to move forward and take care of yourself. That means hooking up with support and maybe being in touch frequently with your program psychs and surgeon. You may need some help with the depression and you clearly may need to increase some of your nutrition so you have a little more "Umph"! Losing a ton of weight is hard on the body and Im sure you're dropping the pounds by the second! Focus on protein! Make your mantra be "protein first". Get some protein products that agrees with you and is supported by your hosptial's program and make that your focus! High protein helps with energy, healing, feeling satisfied and healthy! Drink water all the time!!!! ...It won't be long before you're reporting back to us about the great meal you enjoyed out with a bunch of friends. Life will resume and you'll find how you can blend the past with the future to make a new healthy "present"!!!! Keep posting! Don't get lost in your misery, K???? how about trying to make the Chandler Support mtg on Tuesday night??? It sounds like you could use some cheering up!!!! Huggggz, Joyce
Nicole W.
on 7/21/06 10:30 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Jeremy, The same thoughts have been going thru my head lately... I am sitting here eating dinner and thinking to myself.... wow, I wont be able to eat this again after I have my surgery and then I think of all the other foods I wont be able to eat again. I eat because i enjoy the food, I will miss that. I have to change my mindset I guess. I did attend my first meeting on Wednesday at SBC and it helped me alot, I got alot of info that I needed for being pre-op... every one went thru what you are going thru and they have no regrets! Melissa, it was nice to meet you! Jeremy, how are feeling otherwise? Any complications?
turkeybird
on 7/21/06 10:58 am - AZ
It is ok jeremy you are having normal feelings. It does get easier and some day you will be able to eat a little more. I remember soon after surgery that it onley took like 3 bites of a chicken breast to fill me up. I was like what did I do to myslef. I thought it took to much energy to eat those few bites so I did a lot of protein shakes. Now though I can eat more. I am like to half of a chicken breast or more it depends if i have vegtables though. I am happy though and healthier. Sometimes I still miss the food especially when I am somewhere where people are eating a lot. But then I think about why i had surgery and I know that my weight is not going to kill me and I will see my son graduate from high school. It gets better but even a year out you will still have those days. Take care and don't worry you made the right choice.
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 12:04 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Joyce, I would love to attend your group. I am happy to hear that someone else relates to this. I will keep posting. I worry about the depression but every day is a new begining. My pain has dropped way down to maybe a 2 out of 10. I have lost 40 lbs since 7/11/06 my surgery date. So yes it is coming off fast. Maybe that is why I am so weak and lazy. Thank you again for being supportive.
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 12:14 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Nicole, Thank you for the post. I had all those emotions you have also. I have had zero complications so far. (knock on wood). Dr Blackstone had me in and out of surgery in one hour. That is awesome I hear. I am down 35-40lbs since my surgery date of 7/11/06. My incisions are almost healed. I have 5 and one puncture. My energy is low. I can barely move around because I am weak. My pain drops down every morning I wake up. Tuesday I got to start the soft foods phase. I have tried tuna w/ mayo,turkey hot dogs, sharp cheddar,monterey jack,pepperjack,light n' fit yogurts, cottage cheese, and of course refried beans. I will probably never in my life eat broth,jello,or herbal tea again. I hated all of them. I am hoping my feelings today pass because I am pretty down.
Most Active