Hi, Newbie here, questions

tweet-tweet
on 7/19/06 8:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 03/17/14
Hi. I just joined. I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd introduce myself. :) I had my surgical consult scheduled for July 3, but it was rescheduled for the end of July. I think they decided that they wanted a 4 day holiday weekend. :) I also have my psych eval scheduled for the last of July. I'll be having my surgery with Dr. Fang at Banner Good Sam. Can anyone tell me what to expect at the surgeon or psych consults? I'm a little nervous. Also, does anyone go to those support meetings? How important are they? I've got 3 kids 2 and under. (I was blessed with twins). So, going to their meetings will be difficult. Should I plan on getting sitter for support group meetings on a regular basis, or just if I need some extra help? Are there any kid-friendly support groups? I'm assuming no... Anyways, HI!
vquigley
on 7/19/06 1:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Tweet Tweet, Welcome! I can't speak about Dr. Fang or Good Sam but I know there are are many people on this site who speak very highly of him. My surgery is scheduled for July 31 with Dr. Newhoff. I highly recommend the support groups. I have been going to support groups for several months and have both been inspired and educated by the people that attend. They are inspiring because I look at some of them and think "have you really every had a weight problem" and that's because they look so wonderful. They are educating me in what not to do, what to expect, what works, what doesn't, etc. I personally think it would be worth it to hire a babysitter at least once a month and attend. Good luck, Virginia
K B (Tucson)
on 7/19/06 1:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
In my opinion, support groups and posting/reading posts on forums like this are just as important as the wls and the post-op diet. It is easy to lose focus on what you are trying to accomplish if you try to go it alone. There will be many weird sensations and behaviors you experience along the way that you will have no idea about and will only know if they are normal or a problem without ongoing support. Get a siter, do what you need to do to support your weight loss journey WITHOUT the excuses of "It's too expensive", "I'm too busy", "Sitters cost a lot", etc. This is your journey, do what you need to do to support yourself and make your journey successful. Good luck.
Darlene X
on 7/19/06 2:04 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi Both Hubby and I had surgery with Dr Fang and we LOVE him!!!! We had surgery at Phnx St Lukes though--- I didnt realize Dr Fang did surgery at Good Sam??? I highly advocate support groups, I think they are VERY important! We attend the Chandler Group, and they are like our family--- they would do anything for us. I look forward to the meetings all month, and find so much help in going.... If you can get a sitter for just 2 nights a month it is VERY worth it! Plus it's nice to take a break from the kids right? Welcome to the board, let us know if you have any Q's or neeed any help! Darlene
Tiffany McGee
on 7/20/06 1:48 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi and Welcome to OH! I have Dr. Newhoff and he is great. The Psych Consult was good, there is a little test, but it's nothing, just answer the questions honestly. I would love to say don't be nervous, but I've been there and know how nervous you feel. If you would like there is a group in the West Valley. We meet on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month (Altho August's meetings got a little jarred totally my bad!). We meet at Banner Estrella which is located at 91st Ave and Thomas (SW Corner) unually in conference room 1, but some of our meetings are scheduled for conference room 3 too. I try to post a sign or someone waits until a little after the start of the meeting to direct people where we are. One of our loverly members (co-leaders) brings her teenage daughter and she watches the kids if you bring something to keep them occupied. Which is a godsend! Good Luck and best wishes on your journey! Tiff
sallyann
on 7/20/06 4:35 am - page, AZ
I also had Dr Fang. Great Surgeon. I live too far away to attend support groups but wish I could. I can only imagine what great support and information you gain from attending. It would be fun to watch people of all stages of WLS and how they cope and hear testimonials. I have learned so much from people who post on the site. Good luck and attend all the classes and Evals. Im so happy with this surgery and Im only 6 weeks post op. Best wishes. Sally
tweet-tweet
on 7/23/06 2:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 03/17/14
Thank you for all the responses. I think I'll just have to tell my husband that if he can't sit, then I need a sitter. :-)
Most Active