Wall Street Journel Article - After WLS

Tiffany McGee
on 7/18/06 11:50 pm - Glendale, AZ
"After weight-loss surgery, some find new addictions Jane Spencer Wall Street Journal Jul. 18, 2006 10:08 AM On the heels of a five-year boom in weight-loss surgeries, researchers are observing an unusual phenomenon: Some patients stop overeating - but wind up acquiring new compulsive disorders such as alcoholism, gambling addiction or compulsive shopping..." To read the entire article please visit the link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06199/706662-114.stm (will need to copy and paste entire link as it is not all clickable) *** NOTE: I'm just sharing an article I read that seemed a little interesting. Doesn't mean I agree with the content. PLEASE DON'T GROWL AT ME :-o OH Staff Note: Edited to meet the TOS for copyright
sallyann
on 7/19/06 2:16 am - page, AZ
wow! Wls cant cure all of our bad habits.
Sandy in Tucson
on 7/19/06 2:53 am - Tucson, AZ
So shopping is bad thing? I guess I will have to become a sex addict....oh well. I would rather have any addiction besides drugs and alcohol over my food addiction. Sandy
JRinAZ
on 7/19/06 2:57 am - Layton, UT
My new addiction= Support Chat Sights! Yikes! Is there a 12 step program???? Huggggzzzz, Joyce who seriously LOVES shoes "weigh" 2 much!!!! *winks*
EmbodySuccess
on 7/19/06 3:38 pm - Roswell, GA
Dear Mamma Ti, I read this article m'self, but didn't have the ability to repro it for these forums. Many thanks for getting this info out! The ideas that those of us with a history of yo-yo dieting and obesity may find our food addiction replaced by other compulsive behaviors is consistent with my approach to coaching WLS clients on how to overcome the entrenched patterns of self-sabotage that I spoke about at the OH TUCSON conference. If we avoid dealing with our anxiety about living in a normal, healthy, attractive body - we will have to find behaviors that will bring us RELIEF from that anxiety. The numbing out, the vegging out - those are just different ways of describing the experience of mounting anxiety/stress that has to be reduced immediately. How's everyone doing out there? All the best, Lauralyn PS To refresh your memory of my talk, see the current issue of OH MAGAZINE, pasge 76!!
Most Active