OT: Need Dog Help

lemarie22
on 7/15/06 12:17 pm - Glendale, AZ
I'm appealing to you dog lovers out there. A couple of months ago I found two puppies in a parking lot that were malnourished, dehydrated and in pretty bad shape. My father took the boy and someone else asked for the girl. The person who asked for the girl asked me to keep her for a few weeks while they had some work done on their house and I agreed. When it came time for her new owners to take her, they decided that they did not want her so now I still have her. The problem is that I have a house full of dogs and cats already and really have no room. I'm also taking care of my father's dogs temporarily while he is ill. I've tried every no kill shelter I can think of and they are all full. I've tried the Humane Society and they are euthanising dogs that come in because they are too full. She's as sweet as she can be, somewhere between 10 and 12 months, about 35 pounds, now potty trained and she sits pretty well. She learns fast and I'd love to find a good home for her. She wants to play with the cats and they aren't too thrilled with that, but she's not mean to them. She just rolls around on the floor in front of them, sniffs their rears and annoys them. Please let me know if you know of a no kill shelter with room or someone who is looking for a great dog. Thanks, Connie
Darlene X
on 7/15/06 11:46 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Awwwww.... can you determine her breed? have you contacted any rescues? My husband would kill me if we got a new dog.... we have four already... and already at the max allowed... I hope she finds a good home! Keep us updated. Darlene
lemarie22
on 7/16/06 1:49 am - Glendale, AZ
Darlene, She seems to be a mix of maybe Queensland Heeler and Shepard. She's not big at about 35 pounds and I think she's about as big as she's going to get. She's white and caramel colored, shaped like a shepard, but behaves like a Heeler. She herds everything including me and the cats. You can imagine how thrilled the cats are about being nudged in the butt and pushed from room to room. I've tried all the shelters I can think of and everyone is overflowing. She's a social creature so will do best in a home with other dogs or people who have time to spend with her. If you hear of anyone needing to be herded, let me know. Thanks, Connie
Arizona_Sun
on 7/16/06 5:04 am - Gilbert, AZ
The local cattle dog rescue (heeler) has a web page at www.newhopecattledogs.com and perhaps they can be of assistance to you with placing her. I think they are currently over run with dogs and puppies, but they could possibly help you with placement if you keep her while they do this. Sandy
lemarie22
on 7/16/06 5:14 am - Glendale, AZ
Sandy, You and I must be on the same wavelength. I had just finished sending them an e-mail when I got your post. I'm more than willing to foster her until we can find her a home. My cats and Border Colllie hate me, but my Flat Coat Retriever will be sorry to see her go. Thanks for the suggestion and keep me in mind if you know of anyone who wants a sweet cattle dog. Connie
Lisa_Rene
on 7/16/06 12:28 am - El Mirage, AZ
Hi Connie, I have the same situation with a cat my neighbors decided to leave behind when they got evicted from their house. Now I'm taking care of her and her 3 - 2 week old kittens. I'm going to try to find homes for them as soon as they are old enough. I'm such an animal lover and people who abandon or hurt innocent animals just kills me. There is a No kill shelter out my way and I was told about them when I was trying to decide what to do with the cat I guess I've decided to keep for now The website is www.4pawsrescue.org. They are out in the far west valley and it might be worth giving them a call. Go to the website and all the information is out there. I believe they foster out the dogs that come in since, they basically work with cats. If they can't help you, maybe try an ad out on the internet, but DON'T give the dog away for free. Atleast put a price on the ad of $25 - $50 dollars. That atleast will help keep the chances down of someone getting the dog for purposes, other than a pet. I've have had luck placing ads on "www.azfamily.com" and I've done alot of looking around on "www.phoenix.craigslist.org" I think I had to register to place an ad on AZFamily, but both are free to use. Help that helps. Lisa
lemarie22
on 7/16/06 1:57 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Lisa, I'm also amazed at what people do to animals. I tried 4pawsrescue and they are overflowing like everyone else, but they were helpful with a list of lots of other shelters. There's a glut of puppies and kittens from the Spring so most of the shelters will be full until Fall. Craigslist is a good idea and I'll look into it. You're the second person who told me about charging for the dog so I'm going to take that advice. Thanks for replying and good luck with the kittens. They're lucky to have you to take care of them. Connie
sallyann
on 7/16/06 3:18 am - page, AZ
Hi Connie, there is a nice shelter called BEST FRIENDS in Kanab Ut. It would be a drive but it might be an option for you. I dont know of anytime that they refused an animal. Sorry I dont have a number for you. I think they have a 1-800# Take care and thanks for not giving up on the pup. Sally
lemarie22
on 7/16/06 5:16 am - Glendale, AZ
Sally, Thanks for the suggestion. If I don't get anywhere in Arizona, I'll give them a call. I can't leave the state right now because I've got my hands full taking care of my father and his dogs, along with my own, but if push comes to shove, I'll be heading North. Connie
DCampbell2k
on 7/16/06 7:29 am - El Mirage, AZ
This is so tempting, we have one dog already but she wants a friend. And I'd love to have my own puppy! Hmmmmm. . . *thinking*
Most Active