A WAKE UP CALL FROM LUKE AFB, AZ:

Mike B.
on 7/12/06 8:48 am - Tolleson, AZ
Being an Air Force Vet, this letter from this individual makes me sick. I wonder if she would have felt the same way if that deceased pilot had been her son! Mike B. Past VFW Post Commander A WAKE UP CALL FROM LUKE AFB, AZ: A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit. The complaint: "Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special? Any response would be appreciated." The response: Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects. The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives. Lt. Col. Scott Pleus CO 63rd Fighter Squadron Luke AFB
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/06 9:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
i hope that letter writer feels really stupid now!! What a JERK... I THANK you and all our service men and woman for protecting our great country!
Mike B.
on 7/12/06 9:14 am - Tolleson, AZ
It was an honor to serve and I would do it again in a NY minute. As a Post Commander of my old VFW post in CA, I participated in a number of funerals with military honors for our fallen vets whether they died in combat or of natural causes, the fact that they answered our Nation's call when they were needed, speaks for itself. Thanks for your response. Mike B. Mobile, Phoenix, AZ
MacArthurBug
on 7/13/06 7:52 am - KY
Well, At least the response was well worded and carefully put. I live ON an air force base.. every morning, in the afternoon, and until dark I hear the sounds of jets taking off and landing. I, personally, like it. huh.
Mike B.
on 7/13/06 8:45 am - Tolleson, AZ
Yep. maybe she will learn a lesson from this. Col. Pleus sent a beautifully composed response to her letter. She should attend a couple of funerals for some of the brave men and women that lost their lives defending her rights and freedoms she probably takes for granted. love Mike Mobile, Phoenix, AZ
Tiffany McGee
on 7/13/06 8:06 am - Glendale, AZ
Mike, Thank you for posting such a well worded letter from Lt. Col. Pleus. I certainly hope that the original letter writer feels horrible about their complaint. I lived about 20 mins south of Luke AFB my entire childhood. And the sounds of the jets, helicopters, and planes have always made me and my family feel safe and sound. My son now enjoys our car trips to and from home when he can see the jets fly over. We now live about 10 mins to the east of Luke and we still hear those jets and know we are safe!! Thank you! Tiff
Mike B.
on 7/13/06 9:01 am - Tolleson, AZ
You are welcome Tiff. Hope to see u at the meeting Saturday. love Mike Mobile, Phoenix, AZ
Judy F.
on 7/13/06 12:33 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
What a beautifully worded response from the Lt. Col. I grew up in Sierra Vista, next door to Ft. Huachuca. I lived in Phoenix for 4 years in the 90's and have dear friends that were stationed at Luke at the time and I have nothing but the utmost support for our troops, no matter what branch. I think that such a letter as written by that individual shows nothing by ignorance.
Mike B.
on 7/13/06 1:54 pm - Tolleson, AZ
It was quite eloquent I think. It takes all kinds of people to make up our world and there are a lot more where she came from. They live in their own little world and could care less about the wars we are fighting as long as it doesn't show up on their front porch. Thanks Judy Mike Mobile, Phoenix, AZ
lemarie22
on 7/15/06 8:40 am - Glendale, AZ
Mike, Thanks for sharing this. My brother-in-law was a law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty. They had a flyover with the missing man formation at his funeral. Never mind the governor, the police who attended from dozens of other states, the three thousand vehicles in the procession... that flyover gave the family a real sense of how much our loss was felt by the community and how grateful the community was for our sacrifice. My boyfriend served 29 years in the Navy Reserves before he retired as a Commander last April, and that was after his tour in the Air Force. He's still a detective with Phoenix PD, he's returned to the Gulf 3 times and I can't tell you how many times he's been stabbed, shot at and risked his life to save a total stranger. If this person had written about a flyover at my significant other's funeral, I would have been flying over to arrange their funeral. Lt. Col Pleus was much more restrained than I would have been. Connie
Most Active