How much longer do I have to go???

shannabailey
on 7/9/06 9:41 pm - Arlington, AZ
Hi everyone; this is the first time I've had the guts to write...I use this site all the time for reference and encouragement, Thanks for all your helpful info. I've been trying to get surgery approval for the last 3 years and I got the approval phone call on July 5th!! I've decided to go through Scottsdale Bariatric and I can't seem to get the 'scheduler' to call me back to schedule the surgery. How long does it take to go from approval to the surgery date?? I know I'm overly pushy but it's been such a long emotional road, I just want to get going. What types of things can I do now through my PCP to speed things up (ie-chest xray, blood work ect??). Thanks again everyone for all the support and encouragement, because of your messages and postings I have taken the initiave to get my life back.
mombear
on 7/10/06 12:41 am - Green Valley(5/24/05 Lap RnY), AZ
Shanna - At this stage you need to wait for Scottsdale. They will tell you precisely what tests / blood work you need to have. Many of the tests need to be done just prior to surgery so that the results are current. Additionally, your PCP may not know which tests you need, which will result in your paying for them twice. Be patient, remember that we just had a holiday weekend - and most folks (at least here in Tucson) took all of last week off. My surgeon was Alexander Villares. He did a masterful job. I had an extraordinarily easy recovery, with no complications at all. I was and still am impressed with his staff and how very helpful and responsive they are. He has moved his practice to Good Sam in Phoenix. What you CAN do now, and should do, is get yourself ready for this journey. First - go find a really good thrift shop nearby. I have the White Elephant here in Green Valley - fabulous clothes, great prices. Every stitch of clothing I own has come from there. I call it "renting my clothes". I go at least every other week, buy things that fit now and return the ones I have shrunk out of. I started as a 28 and now wear an 8, 13+ months later. Second, purchase several different samples of protein mixes. Do NOT buy large quantities. This stuff costs large $'s. Prior to surgery you have no idea what is going to taste good later. We have all made the mistake of buying a lot of something, only to give it away or throw it out. My "Oops" purchase was crystal lite. I hate the stuff! But I had 6 different kinds. Can't use it to cook with and could not give it away - wound up tossing it out! See if Scottsdale has info on line. If they do, see if you can get the food list / dietary rules. Many docs, mine included, insist that we "eat" our nutrition, not drink it, once the initial healing is complete. The dietary rules will tell you what you can eat and when. Start exercising now. That will help you get in shape for this surgery. You need to be in as good a shape as possible. This is major surgery. Your body will need all its resources to heal. If you have started exercising, you will have improved your chances of a speedy recovery. Keep us posted - Mom Bear 245 / 131
Melissa P
on 7/10/06 1:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Shanna, I waited two weeks for a surgery date after my approval letter. Call and ask for Noreen, she is the scheduler. She is great to work with and she will schedule all of the other tests needed for surgery at the same time. Let us know what your date is when you find out. Melissa
desert rat
on 7/10/06 12:28 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Shanna, If Noreen hasn't called by now, call her again. Call her everyday until she talks to you and as a minimum can tell you WHEN she's going to be able to schedule you. A lot of the time, she only responds if she has your file in front of her. My file sat on "somebody" else's desk for nearly a week. I don't think she's ignoring you or too busy to call, my guess is that she hasn't gotten the message yet. Best of luck, Dj
Most Active