I never imagined I could write this post -

mombear
on 7/5/06 4:09 am - Green Valley(5/24/05 Lap RnY), AZ
This is a post that I never thought I'd get to write. I had laproscopic RnY 13 months ago. I started as a size 28, with a BMI at 43+ . Today I weigh 132 and my BMI is a hair under 24 . I'm normal! Well, as close to normal as one can be, married as I am to an Artist / Musician called The Old Bear, or The Old Dude. When I began this trip I bought a dress at my local thrift store (The White Elephant, I've written about it in the past) - a new Victoria's Secret, black lace, spaghetti strap, size 8, skinny, skinny, sexy, sexy and way too small. It has the new tags still in it - I only paid $2 for it, but when I bought it I thought it would never actually fit. I know that the ladies at the Elephant thought I was out of my mind when I bought that dress. I mean, come on - a 245 pound, size 28 woman buying a dress that skinny? Who does she think she's kidding? But week after week, as I'd go in and buy new smaller sized clothes, they all watched me loose a whole other person. About every two weeks I try on all my clothing to see what fits and get rid of all the stuff that's too big. I tried on the Victoria's Secret - IT FITS!!!! I look like a million bucks in it! This dress is one of those "little black numbers" that I never imagined I would wear - now the Old Dude and I have got to figure out somewhere for me to wear it. It's way too sexy for just dinner out - and ****tail parties are passe' in my neck of the woods. This is so exciting. Here I am, 56+ years old, and I've got a knock-out figure! First time in my life I've ever had a figure to be proud of. I have lots of saggy skin - particularly my belly and thighs - but no one but the Old Bear sees that - unless I'm at the pool. Fortunately Cheryl Tiegs and her cronies do NOT live in Green Valley so I don't worry a whole lot about my saggy thighs. My skirts are short - but not that short! Like everyone I still fight the internal battle over what to eat and I expect that I will for the rest of my life. I weigh every single morning, after that first cup of coffee, just to make sure that I'm staying on track. I did well over this long holiday weekend - actually lost half a pound. I expect that the scale will show another 2 pound loss in another week or so. That's the way this has gone for me. A 2 pound drop then 2 weeks (once it was almost a month) of no loss at all. Then another 2 pounds disappears while I sleep. In the meantime, I feel fabulous - even more so since the doc put me onto the B-1 and B-12. I have amazing energy. I got rid of all of my fat clothes as soon as I could - haven't kept any of the 28's. I did though hang on to one belt. I put it on every now and then - it's now 18" too big! So I know that I've lost at least 18" off my waist and fortunately the loss has been proportionate. I wish now though that I'd actually measured myself pre-surgery, or that I'd held on to one outfit. It would be interesting now to see how much too big those 3x clothes would be. And it would be interesting to know for certain how many inches I've lost. I am ever grateful to my surgeon, Alexander Villares. And grateful to all of those who went before me on this journey. Their experiences helped to inform me prior to the decision for surgery and have helped to keep me on track, both physically and mentally. So my friends, this is my little happy, happy dance of celebration. For the first time in my life I like what I see in the mirror. Being able, at long last, to really enjoy life is worth all of the dietary rules I live with. Best thoughts to all of us - Mom Bear
sallyann
on 7/5/06 4:38 am - page, AZ
Dear Mom bear, what an amazing post. I also am very thankful to all of those who have gone through this before me. They are the folks that helped me to make the best decision for myself. My Surgery was June 9th. 30 lbs are gone forever and I have also taken the cloths that no longer fit to the thrift store. This is an amazing surgery with awesome outcomes. Your post gives me hope that someday I will reach my goal and feel wonderful about how I look. Best wishes to you! Sally
JRinAZ
on 7/5/06 1:38 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Itty Bitty Bear!!!! That's the best little Bear story I have ever heard! Of course Goldilocks doesn't have any business peeking in on you and your Papa Bear Dude while you're happy dancing with that sexy little black dress on!!!! LOL! ....You have got the most delightful spin on life and me thinks yoiu should enter your little story in the O.H. magazine! .......and they lived happily ever after.......!!!!! Big "Bear Hugggzzzzz"! Joyce
jenw82
on 7/5/06 2:23 pm - Tucson, AZ
Congratulations! Self love is so very important. Really really important. And I think everyone has THAT MOMENT. Where it is all...I like this. I hope to have that at some point. Continue to enjoy life. Jen
kayjaybee
on 7/6/06 1:02 pm - Tucson, AZ
Mom Bear... Thank you for that.... I'm new to this forum and will be traveling the road to a more healthy person August 16th. Daily, I pray and affirm I can send out a similar encouraging note to OH by this time next year. Blessings, K
Most Active