Extra Protein Did NOT Stop My WLS Related Anemia

Mike B.
on 6/30/06 4:30 am - Tolleson, AZ
Had CBC done yesterday and got results this morning. Two Months without PROCRIT looked good after first month. Readings were in good normal range on RBC, HCT and HGB, however yesterdays test I was low on all 3. Have been taking over 44 grams of supplemental protein in addition to very large amounts of protein I consume in Meat, Chicken, Pork. fish and other high protein foods. I am very disappointed though this is the first time in 3 years I have been able to go over a month and not need a shot. I had not had any Procrit since May 1st which is when I started the extra supl protein. Obviously this is not going to get rid of this anemia. Not sure what I will try next. I may be stuck taking these shots for the rest of my life. Gave myself 40,000 I.U. injection this morning after getting results from myh hematologist in Havasu. I know a reversal of my surgery would fix that problem BUT I know I would put the weight back on and the diabetes I am sure would return. I have yet to find a WLS doctor who has any recommended solution for this anemia other than reversal. I would submit to a revision if I could find one of them that could do some sort of revision on this outdated bilio pancreatic bypass I had in June 86. I have no problem with my IRON levels though I have taken prescription Iron since my surgery and IRON level is always fine when they check it. Back to the drawing board I guess. At least the Procrit shots keep my body going but am very disappointed. Will have to give some thought about what to try next. Some of you have asked me about this problem so I thought I would give you the latest. I am having foot surgery on my right foot July 7th. Gotta get that out of the way before looking at anything else on the anemia. Hope you all have a great, happy, safe Holiday weekend. love Mike B. Mobile, Phoenix, AZ
Sandy in Tucson
on 6/30/06 8:14 am - Tucson, AZ
why not do 80 grams of extra protein, per day???? I drink at least 80 grams a day. Remember not all protein is high quality. I love Unjury or liquid isopure in the bottles. Sandy 347/158/147
Most Active