Pre Surgical testing today

victorious711
on 6/27/06 1:02 am - flagstaff, AZ
So today I am going this morning to have all my pre-surgical testing done (at FlagMedCtr). I also have to take a 4 hour class that my Dr requires. It's making things hard financially (the class costs $500) and I dont know at all what I will be getting out of it. Anyone else taken Dr Bergers required thingamabob? Also, anyone in Flag or with Dr Berger...is there any sort of regular after support groups that meet? I hear that after support meetings are very important. As weird as it is.....I've waited so long for this surgery and got denied so many times, that now that it is actually going to happen (on July 17th) it doesnt seem real.
ConnieS
on 6/27/06 1:24 am - Northern, AZ
I don't know about groups in Flag but if you find one, let me know. I'm going down to Good Sam in Phoenix today for their basic info meeting. I have thought about doing a consult with Dr. Berger, but have concerns about the hospital up here due to some major co-morbidities I have including heart disease. I will probably have lap-band, IF my insurance will cover it, for lots of reasons I won't go into now. I get most of my regular medical care at Mayo but they only do RNY so I have to look elsewhere. I will be at this for awhile....my insurance requires the 6 mo. dr. supervised diet and I am just starting that. Good luck with your testing, etc. Glad you finally have a date scheduled.
ConnieS
on 6/27/06 1:48 am - Northern, AZ
P.S. Just read your profile...WOW! You have been through the wringer. Hang in there!!! (yes, I did read the whole thing!)
Ginger
on 6/27/06 2:43 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Victoria, Congrads on your surgery date!! Are you off of your Avonex now. My husband wants me to tell ya that taking the Avonex does get better. We are working on our 8th year since his MS diagnois, and I have become "better" at the injection process as we go. the anticipation is the worst..am I right??? I don't have a clue about support groups in Flagstaff..I just wanted to chime-in and give ya a shout-out from "C"-town (Chandler) I know what you mean about trying so long and hard to get the surgery..and the thought that it is really gonna happen, it somehow overwhelming. Try to focus on something non-surgery related..such as Christmas to do lists and such..this will help the time slide by a little quicker!!! Hope all goes well with your pre-op testing..take care Victoria! HugsGinger
victorious711
on 6/27/06 11:12 am - flagstaff, AZ
Thanks all Oh and thank you for actually taking the time to read that whole mess on my profile. LOL I did the pre op admitance stuff today. Bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-rays and an EKG. The I got to talkto the anesthesiologist, which was nice because I have fears abut that part (never had any type of surgery ever). The class was boring BUT was nice because I got to meet other people who are all scheduled for surgery with Dr Berger the same week i am. There were 5 of us there. Only one isnt scheduled yet, the others were on the 13th, 14th, me on the 17th and another on the 20th. I hope I get to see some of them again, maybe while in the hospital One step closer to being a loser And yes, Ginger I AM off the Avonex. My doctor decided copaxone was better for me and I have been on that the last two weeks. It's much easier for me to deal with, as it is only sub-q. Yes its daily instead of weekly BUT the needle is teensy and doesnt hurt or stress me at all, and I dont get the flu like symptoms the whole next day...I dont get them at all, plus I am able to self inject (I never could bring myself to with the Avonex) which is much better for me (and my hubby). Plus the other benefit for me is that I dont have to go off of my meds for the surgery...I can take the Copaxone all the way through, so thats alot less stress for me as I was really worried about being med free for two whole months! I am much happier on the Copaxone.
Sondra J. S.
on 6/27/06 2:34 pm - Show Low, AZ
Victoria, Yes you do get a lot out of the class, and although I don't agree with having to pay the five hundred dollar fee, why do they think we sit around and wait for ins. to pay for the surgery?) I found the class very helpful. I was in Flag for my 3 month checkup on the 20th and there was a support group meeting that night. They have them I believe the 3rd or 4th Tuesday of the month over by I think it is a safeway but not the one by the mall it is right by the hospital, it is the same place I had to go to the seminar at if I'm not mistaken. But yes there are support groups through Dr. Berger's office held in Flagstaff, you could call and ask and they would be more than happy to tell you anything you would want to know about it. I'm so glad you got all of your pre-op done and you don't have to go off your meds, that'll make things easier for you!! If you are still looking for an angel, let me know, I'll be more than happy to give it a shot!! Sondra, 315/272/150 73lbs. gone forever!!!!
vquigley
on 6/27/06 2:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Victoria, You're not kidding when you say you have been through the mill! Wow! Yes, I read the whole story. In just a couple of weeks you'll be on the losing side. Hopefully I'll be right behind you. Good luck to you! Virginia
victorious711
on 6/28/06 2:38 am - flagstaff, AZ
Yeah, I got the info about the support group at the meeting (which was nice) the one in July though is out for me as I will be having my surgery the day before and I will miss the next one (August 18th) because I have a follow up appt in Phoenix at Barrows with my neorologist that day . But I will catch them after that for sure!!!! The $500 was HARD for us, especially with all the medical junk that has happeend in the last 6 months. I was out of work for four months. NOT easy to come up with an extra $500, but we have a flexible spending account through hubbies work, specifically for medical things like copays and prescriptions and I have submitted that receipt to them and am praying hard that they accept it (and not give me grief over it) and get the money back to me before the end of the week. I have other bills to pay! Thanks again for actually taking the time to read that profile mess. I see some typos I need to fix, and think I may do a follow up. So tell me, is it easier to read with the oldest on top and the newest on bottom? or newest on top? just wondering what you all think? I was planing on utting the newer updates on the bottom so its chronological orer...but I dont know. Oh and yes!!!! I still need an angel!! I emailed you yesterday, Sondra
Most Active