Valuable Information for all pre-op

Ayaunna
on 6/24/06 6:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
Yesterday I had my consultation at Scottsdale Bar iatric. It went FANTASTIC!! I am so excited to be going through them. I met with a dietician, financial advisor and took my psychological exams, and met with the 1st assistant. While I was having my actual consultation, I let Melissa (1st assistant) know that I was previously going to go with Barix Clinics. I let her know that Eric Schlesinger snapped at me when I asked him a question about open vs. laparoscopic. Dr. Schlesinger had told me that open was better. Laparoscopic had more risks, leaks and hernias per Dr. Schlesinger. Well, I was informed yesterday that this was completely false. It is actually the opposite!! I am glad that I decided to ask this question again. I was informed by Scottsdale Bariatric that laparoscopic is difficult for some surgeons to do. The complication rate overall is lower with laparoscopic but if the surgeon is not good at this type of surgery then THE SURGEONS complication rate (laparscopically) is higher. Out of 17, 540 (I believe) Scottsdale Bariatric has only had 4 hernias!! They do 99% of their bypasses laparscopically. So, at the end of the day Dr. Schlesinger miss-informed me because he is better at doing open gastric bypasses. I feel a little deceived by him and wanted to make sure as many people knew this as possible. I also researched this more online as well and found that Melissa was telling me the truth.
JRinAZ
on 6/24/06 10:11 am - Layton, UT
Ayaunna, I"m sure you have made a great choice for yourself. I find it interesting that you were quoted the number of 4 hernias out of well over 17,000 people???? Many post-ops never even go to their "Bariatric" surgeon again.....they go to gastrointernologists for hernia repair or to their plastic surgeons. I don't have any reason to defend orattack either program but would just suggest to all of us to be realistic in judging the things that we "hear". I'd hate for a good surgeon to be damaged because of some misquoted information. Congrats to you on a future filled with many opportunities!!! Joyce who works for one program, had her surgery with another and supports many others! Weight Loss Surgery Rocks!!! ....and saves lives!
Ayaunna
on 6/25/06 12:15 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce, I do feel that Dr. Schlesinger would be a good surgeon when it does come to open surgery. I was a little upset about the information I was given by him and did not want anyone else to get mixed up as I did. I think I did make a good choice for myself. Thank you!!
JRinAZ
on 6/25/06 12:32 pm - Layton, UT
Our quest for surgery is a very emotionally charged adventure! After all...it's our "lives" that we are trying to save! >>>>> You have the right to share your feelings sweetie pie! .... I just knew that there are readers on this site who have had their own lives saved by Dr. Schlesinger and those who are looking into having him as a surgeon and we all have to find our own "personal" fit. Facts are important about stats though and the 17,000 plus with only 4 problems seemed stretched by someone? ....No biggie though! Just move forward and get ready set! It's an exciting ride! Big Huggggz, Joyce
karen_n_az
on 6/25/06 12:19 pm - Thatcher, AZ
I'm afraid that if the cir****tances where presented that I had only one choice in doctors I would ask that doctor which type of surgery he was most familiar and comfortable with to help make my overall choice in surgery. It is regrettable that the doctor misinformed you about your specific situation. Before taking the plunge I would suggest researching it thoroughly myself just to be confident with my decision.
Christine In AZ
on 6/26/06 4:00 am - Way Down South in AZ
Actually, Dr. Schlesinger WAS correct about the hernias being more common following lap RNY than open RNY. Here's just one article written on the subject: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/fd/os/2003/00000013/00000003/art00006 Also, leaks are more common as well. This is because it is harder to see everything all at once. The dr. must use the scope to look around small areas at a time. Any laparoscopic surgery has fewer complications in regards to infection of the incision than an open surgery. However, it is my opinion that open surgery for RNY is still the safest. I do not believe Dr. Schlesinger misinformed you at all. That being said, Dr. Koler did my open RNY surgery when she was with the WishCenter in Tempe. I think she's wonderful, and do highly recommend her.
Christine In AZ
on 6/26/06 6:16 am - Way Down South in AZ
To access the link above, which appears broken, please use this link instead. Thanks. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/fd/os/2003/00000013/00000003/art00006
Most Active