6 Month Diet Question

Mikkilynn
on 6/23/06 4:10 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi All - I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now and appreciate all the wonderful advise! Now, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have decided on RNY with Dr Blackstone's office at Scottsdale Bariatric Center. I was just waiting to find out which doctor, my Naturopath or PCP, that would refer me for the surgery. Well, great news... To my surprise my Naturopathic doctor said he would write the letter of medical necessity and issue the referral. But he is making me start a new diet plan and go through the entire 6 month physician supervised diet & exercise program. Ok, finally here is my question - I'm afraid that if I lose too much weight in the next 6 months that Cigna will not approve my surgery. Has anyone had this happen? I currently weigh around 260 and I could lose 35 pounds and still be over 40 BMI. I know that I won't lose that much weight! But what is too much without the insurance company saying, "obviously you don't need the surgery to lose weight". I would like to lose around 25 - 30 pounds over the next 9 months before surgery (figuring 6 months of dieting & 3 months for Scottsdale Bariatric to actually do the surgery). But will that hinder my changes of getting approved.Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Michelle
Darlene X
on 6/23/06 4:31 am - Maricopa, AZ
I believe when a 6 month diet is required, the insurance company goes by your BMI prior to the diet... not after. Darlene
Most Active