NEWBIE!!!

kspencer1284
on 6/22/06 8:02 am - Glendale, AZ
I'm new to this site. I've been here for about a week. I think I have decided on what surgery would best suit me (LapBand) and was wondering if anyone has had it, if you could tell me about your experience with it (recovery time, the process itself, your results so far). Also, I was curious as to whether anyone can help me figure out which insurance is good. I'm in AZ and the company I work for doesn't have health benefits, so I'm without insurance at the moment. I can't get the ball rolling without it can I?
Darlene X
on 6/22/06 8:06 am - Maricopa, AZ
Well you can get the ball rolling if you want to self pay... about $14,000-16,000 for Lap Band. A lot of insurances don't cover Lap Band because its classed as more experimental... maybe Joyce can jump in here and see if she knows which insurances cover Lap Bands.... Then we could find you a new job LOL Darlene
K B (Tucson)
on 6/22/06 9:35 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi. I have the band and am a self pay. I and many others went to Mexico for safe and quality surgery. Email me and we can talk.
JRinAZ
on 6/22/06 9:53 am - Layton, UT
Welcome Katherine! There are many folks who get their weight loss surgery as cash pays. I'd suggest going to a couple of free informational seminars to learn more about the surgery and to find the Doctor that seems like a good fit for YOU. Though many have had great success with going out of country, you have to weigh that decision very carefully due to the lack of options for aftercare. Medical insurances are now forbidding licensed surgeons from taking on patients that have had surgery in other countries. There's too much liability involved. Getting through the initial surgery is just the first step for Lap Banders. To get to the desired goal weight, most require "fills" along the way and that needs to be done by a surgeon. Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions! We love helping newbies along on their journey! Huggggz, Joyce
Terri M.
on 6/22/06 9:56 am - Pinedale, AZ
Hi Katherine, I had the Lap-Band put in in Nov. of 2004 and I LOVE IT!! I have lost 105lbs so far and still have more to go. It's slow losing but for me it is soooo worth it! Just think of it as a tool because you still need to diet. It's not a quick fix. I have the Vanguard 10cc band and it took me 8 fills to get to my "sweet spot". I now have 6.5cc in my band. My experience with it has been WONDERFUL, I have had no complications except for a over fill where they had to remove some of the saline. I couldn't even swallow my own spit. That was no fun!! They removed just .1cc and I was fine again. I was Banded in Flagstaff with Dr. Berger.(#1 in my book ) Lets see, I had to do all the fun test before surgery like Physic eval, Nutritionist, ekg, blood work, ect... I was in the Pre-op room for about 1 hour where they make you strip down and then attach you to all the IV's. Then they took me to OR . I was in there for just 45 min. then on to recovery for about 1 hour. No pain meds at all because I had no pain. There was discomfort when I moved in and out of bed but nothing a little tylenol would help. I went home the next day. Again No pain meds except liquid tylenol. I was back to work in less than a week. (Preschool teacher) And now a year and a half later there is a smaller person looking back at me in the mirror. I would do it all over again in a heart beat!!! As for Insurance, sorry I can't help you there. I have Medicare because of a disability. Medicare paid for my surgery with no questions asked. Yeah me!! Have you checked into getting your surgery in Mexico? If you self pay there it is cheaper. I have many on-line bandster friends that had it done in Mexico. Some good and some bad experiences. But that can happen in the US also. Just keep checking around. If you have any more questions just let me know and I wil try to help. Im not the smartest persone but I love to talk about my band!!! Good luck and take care, Terri
jenniebr
on 6/22/06 11:07 am - queen creek, AZ
Welcome. I love my band! I got it in December. I called it an early Christmas gift to myself! Now I am just about at goal (5 lbs to go). I was banded on Thursday and by Mon when DH went back to work, I was already back to work (homemaker) with a 9 month old. My recovery was far better than my last c-section. I have had 3 fills and 1 partial unfill. My husband was banded April 10 and is doing great. I made hime take off 2 weeks from work (just so he would use up some vacation time this year!) There are many surgeons that will do a cash pay discount. Mexico is an option but I know some that complain that they can not find a doc here to do fills. Most return to Mexico for fills and make a mini vacation of it. If possible, get a job with benefits or if you have a home a equity line will get you rolling. Don't let no insurance stop you. Mexico is a lot less expensive and its a great option for cash pay. The surgeon are just as skilled if not better than here. Just remember you will need fills. If you need anything just email! Good Luck Jen 224/140/135 banded 12/15/05 Dr John DeBarros
Most Active