question, on anti depressants/mood stabalizers post op

simply_jess
on 6/16/06 10:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
How is that working for you if you take them? And, did you have to change dosages of the pills post op that you were taking pre op? I have a pretty good ****tail of pills and the warning I got from the seminar a couple months ago, and from articles I've read, and talking to my surgeon, that you should watch out for the extended release pills, and all my pills I am taking now are not that. I understand hormones go crazy post op.. so if anyone has personal stories or stuff they know from others experience, I would greatly appreciate it thanks.. -Jess am I averaging a question a day?lol
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/06 5:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I took my effexor up until the day of surgery, nothing for 10 days post op. I did fine.
Purple_Lady
on 6/16/06 11:04 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have liquid Prozac, so I haven't missed any dosages. I didn't want to go thru the post-op depression, I've heard about.
Do-over Girl
on 6/18/06 6:36 am - Tempe, AZ
Jess--I was on anti-depressants before and continue after surgery. I have a strong family history of major depression on by sides of my family. I have had to have my zoloft adjusted slightly went from 200mg day to 250mg. And for me my dr was monitoring me closely as was the surgeon's office since we did anticipate the need for having to watch both me and my meds. Emotionally and hormonally it is a bit of a rollar coaster for me; my pms got worse and longer...but knowing that helped. I also found myself more weepy at times. Emotionally vulnerable as the layers of weight were dropping off. All of this was manageable since both the drs and I realized how big a change and shock this can be to one's system. I also have continued with my therapy to discuss my issues of living life as a much thinner person. I am currently down about 130 pds at the 8month point and have about 84 pds or so to go. So awareness is the key. Also remember NOT to stop taking any meds without monitoring and discussion with Docs. I did have to cut up my pills in order to be able to take them. And the questions are good and okay...that is how we learn and help prepare ourselves for this major lifechanging event. Good Luck! JMF
Most Active