Insurance Coverage :(

rosanneorta
on 6/8/06 4:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had a consultation with Dr. Newhoff six months ago and after several phone calls and messages with no reponse finally called my insurance to find out what was going on. It turns out that my insurance (Mercy Healthcare Group) does not cover the surgery at all. I feel so sad right now! I am considering buying an individual health plan that will pay for the surgery. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice about which plan will cover the surgery & will accept me with my weight? I am for the most part healthy with a thyroid condition and some joint problems.
Darlene X
on 6/8/06 4:34 am - Maricopa, AZ
I don't believe there are any individual health plans that will cover gastric bypass surgery.
rosanneorta
on 6/8/06 4:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Okay, so I guess self-pay is the next option??? I'm going to do a search for people who have self-payed and see how they've handled it. Wow... this is a lot to handle!
azbigmamma
on 6/8/06 4:07 pm - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
Hi Rosanna, I dont know if you are aware that the procedure cost about 34 to 40 thousand dollars here in the states. That is for the gastric bypass not the lapband. Have you thought about going to Mexico or another country to have it done. Look on south of the border forum it might help you. It cost about 12,500.00 in Mexico to have it done. Just a thought. Keep trying and eventually things work out. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. Good luck. Tanya
jgowan
on 6/9/06 5:57 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
Do not give up hope.... I also have Mercy Care Insurance and will get all my paper work in hopefully by the end of next month. I called Mercy Care and was told that if it is medically neccessary they will approve. But you have to go through alot of requirments that they have like 6 month of a Dr. supervised diet plan, blood tests, cardio and pulmonary clearences, Letter From PCP saying it is medically neccessary for you to get this surgery, if you High B/P, Diabetes, POS, hernia, Psy Eval., ect. So good luck. Jessie
Most Active