Looking for some help

simply_jess
on 5/28/06 3:06 pm - Phoenix, AZ
you found the perfect place to answer all your questions! There is a nice Q&A section. I would say this. Find a surgeon with the reviews, and the best way to find out if you feel comfortable with the doctor, is to go to the surgeon for a consult. Usually the surgeon will have an informational consult, a group lecture on the surgery and answers you may have, and then you would set up an individual consultation with the surgeon. Reviews help, and if you read a bunch of good ones then awesome, but reviews are merely opinons and people differ in tastes quite frequently. The best thing to do right now, in the beginning of your journey, is to ask questions and be open minded to learn learn learn. There are many types of surgerys that are classified as WLS "weight loss surgeries" and it's merely finding the one right for you and one a surgeon will do. I am pre op with a date and the hair loss? There will be some but you are your own worst enemies and in some cases you'll notice hair being loss in the shower, but in reality no one will be able to tell a difference. Nasuea occurs mainly because it is like having a 'new' stomach and you will have to learn your likes and dislikes all over again. Also there is a dumping syndrome which you will definitely hear more of with your research that is like an hour flu. You can also go to your library and get the Carnie Wilson books. It's a very easy read but it is really nice because it is her journey from start to post op. If you need anything as well, there are awesome people on this site to help you, and I can help you if you have any other questions. There is a support group in Tuscon as well, a really great one, and they accept pre and post op people to attend.. and nothing, in my opinion, will teach you more than a support group.. and of course experiences, which everyone has in a support group. so good luck Aimee! my name is jessica, my email is [email protected] if you need anything else
simply_jess
on 5/28/06 3:09 pm - Phoenix, AZ
also looking quickly at your profile.. for most insurance companies, a bmi of 40 is required or a bmi of 35 with many co-morbities.
TMAZgal
on 5/30/06 11:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Aimee, I had a lapband implant in Tempe AZ from the office of Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris. They have a lady who does all the insurance work for you. I have BCBS so I can't speak to your insurance directly but I also know people who have had GB through Dr. DeBarros and Orris and are thrilled as well. They have a dietician and exercise guy on staff there who are so attentive they even came to visit me at the hospital after my surgery. Good luck to you, Toni
azkatey
on 5/31/06 4:46 pm - Tucson, AZ
After you have narrowed your search for a bariatric surgeon, you may want to check their records on the Arizona Medical Board files. Go to http://www.azmd.gov/. Click on "Doctor Search" and type in the name of the surgeon. It will show whether the surgeon has had any complaints, investigations or disciplinary actions.
azkatey
on 5/31/06 4:52 pm - Tucson, AZ
Dr. Monte Schwartz spoke at the OH conference in Tucson in April. He seems to be a wonderful surgeon with much experience and skill. I believe Dr. Schwartz performs only "open" surgery at this time, NOT Laparoscopic.
Most Active