Looking for some help

aimeef
on 5/28/06 7:20 am - tucson, AZ
Hi, After years and years of struggling with weight, hating myself, going down on the scales only to shoot up again, I am seriously considering surgery. My internist said he would support me and write letters and try to have it approved. My insurance is Aetna; I have the PPO. The two doctors in Tucson who do this surgery do not accept my insurance and recommended that I find a docotr in the Phoenix area. Can you recommend docotrs to go to and, equally as important, doctors who not to go to. Please help me because I don't want to go to a doctor without a lot of recommendations. Also is hair loss and/or nausea a chronic problem after surgery or does it eventually (how long?) subside? Thank you, Aimee
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/28/06 9:55 am - Tucson, AZ
It is not a matter of who you want to go to. It is matter of where your insurance will pay for. You need to find that out through your insurance. Sandy in Tucson 185 lbs down 347/162/147 15 lbs to my goal........and a normal BMI for my height
K B (Tucson)
on 5/28/06 10:26 am - Tucson, AZ
What type of wls are you looking for?
aimeef
on 5/28/06 10:32 am - tucson, AZ
Does "wls" mean weight loss surgery? I am assuming it is. I don't know the right name of the procedure but it is laproscopic and it is the least invasive procedure. Did you have the surgery? I see you are from Tucson? If you did go through the surgery, how are you doing and how was your doctor? Thanks, Aimee
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/30/06 1:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
Can you please read my profile. it is short and sweet. But, tells all. Please go to a bookstore, buy a book and read about the different weight loss surgeries. I still drive to Phx to see Dr. Fang and it is well worth the 300 mile drive....since my iron has been low normal....he is watching my blood work......Sandy
JRinAZ
on 5/28/06 10:47 am - Layton, UT
Hi Aimee, I'd suggest to find out who Aetna will cover and then post those options for us to give opinions on. ....I think Aetna requires the 6 motnh supervised diet attempt (must have consecutive, physician chart notes) If you are considering a Lap Band (restrictive surgery) then I would recommend Dr. Terry Simpson (www.drsimpson.com) ....You asked about a "fill" ....it is referring to this type of surgery where a band is placed to restrict food intake and has a port. A needle is inserted into the port with a saline injection for patients who have plateaued with their weight loss or who have started to gain weight. It's like inflating a tire tube...it becomes a little tighter and therefore becomes more restrictive. This can be done as the patient needs it until goal has been reached. I would reocommend Dr. Juarez for most experience and excellent statistics, Dr. Blackstone, Dr. Fang or if you want a silastic ring with the Rny then I would recommend Dr. Newhoff. I hesitate to name any surgeon that I would NOT recommend but there are a couple that I would certainly not let anyone I was related to go to. I suggest that you read through the links on Obesity Help. Do a google search on Weight Loss Surgery and read all the websites info. Study, study, study so that you can make an educated decision and be an advocate for your own body and your own health!!! Good luck! Joyce
aimeef
on 5/31/06 8:52 am - tucson, AZ
Hi Joyce, You seem so knowledgeable on this whole isssue! What would make one go with a lap-band as opposed to the other methods? Is a RNY the same as a gastric-bypass. I received a short e-mail from Dr. Simpson today ahd he said due to my BMI being on the low side that a lap-band would be best. I have been researching as best as I can and have read that the lap-band elminates the "dumping syndrome" and "mineral malabsorption". What is the dumping syndrome? Also, it seems that it takes an awful long time to get insurance to agree to this. Is it unrealistic to think I can have it done this summer? Any more information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Aimee
JRinAZ
on 5/31/06 2:02 pm - Layton, UT
Aimee, I would totally recommend a lap-band "IF".... 1. Somone had a BMI under 45 2. Someone was still considering a pregnancy. 3. If a co-morbidity would be increased from a malabsorptive procedure. 4. If they were really young 5. IF they were over 60 6. If they would be non-compliant with a drastic lifestyle change. 7. If a major surgery would put them at high risk. If your insurance allows coverage without the 6 month supervised diet then it is very possible that you could have surgery this summer. ....you would need: PCP recommendaiton letter, psych evaluation and recommendation, copy of your medical records, possibly a cardiac clearance and EKG (if you have health issues in that area), a physical with your WLS of choice. How about going to a few seminars with different surgeons til you find one that "floats your boat" and gives you hope for the best health possible (and a skinny bod is always fun too! *winks*) Go for it! Joyce P.S. Dumping Syndrome is a physical reaction that a Bariatric post-op (someone who has had their stomach bypassed = Roux n Y = Rny) may have when they consume something with high sugar grams, too fatty, or the wrong consistency. There are different types of dumping. Immediate would be like eating a bite of chocolate and then feeling immediately flushed and either crampy/diarrhea or vommiting. IT may include heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness and sleepiness. The other type of dumping is delayed and is more like a sugar dive like a Diabetic would experience. Lap Banders do not dump.
Desertflower
on 5/28/06 11:32 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Aimee, If you check Obesity Help and click on AZ you will get a list of doctors in our state that perform different types of WLS. There are many excellent choices for you. I am going through the same process as you...but just a little further down the road. I decided to have the RNY and I will be seeing Dr. Blackstone. (She is an approved surgeon with BCBS) Coiincidentially, I started my journey over two years ago with Dr. Terry Simspon. At the time my company insurance carrier was also "AETNA" and I was on my way to approval. In the mddle of the process, my company changed our benefits and our medical coverage switched to Pacificare. I was VERY depressed. I think Dr. Simpson is wonderful. He has written a book that you can get on Amazon..."The Lighter Side of Weight Loss", I think. Anyway, I just about gave up...but then decided that if I was going to pay for a WLS out of pocket, that maybe I should consider the Lap-Band. I could have it done in Mexico and have "fills" done here. That's when I found out that my insurance would cover the RNY. Keep doing your research. The web-sites will tell you how many procedures/surgeries the doctors have performed and also provide feedback from patients etc. Most doctors require that you attend a seminar BEFORE you even make an appt. for the first consult. Dr. Blackstone's web-site is Scottsdalebariatric.com and you can also down load and print the patient packet. I found their staff to be very helpful when I called to ask about insurance, and their seminar was quite informative. Good luck to you. Blessings, Robin
jenw82
on 5/28/06 2:57 pm - Tucson, AZ
Oh I know the struggles of getting a doctor. I am working with Dr. Monte Schwartz in Tucson and he actually is covered under Aetna (and if you talked with Dr. Chassion and Dr. Burpee's office who said that Aetna requires that you go to Phoenix for the surgery, I talked to Aetna and they said that is not true). He is not listed under the bariatric surgery, but as a general surgeon. He is willing to work with Aetna and I have talked to Aetna, and he is in network under the HMO, so I am sure he is under the PPO as well. I would advise to call his office at 320-1200. I have been really happy with him and the entire program at St. Josephs so far. He just started his practice in Tucson, but he has a lot of experience and I am really confident with my decision. Good luck with everything! Jen
Most Active