random post-op question

simply_jess
on 5/27/06 4:39 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Is gum chewing okay? What's the 'rule' with that one? thanks -Jess
Veronica
on 5/28/06 12:37 am
I chew sugarless gum all the time, and never once have had a problem. My surgeon said just to make sure that it remains sugarless. Veronica
Arizona_Sun
on 5/28/06 2:04 am - Gilbert, AZ
I never tried it because I did not want to accidently swallow it. I have seen some postings from people rather miserable after accidently swallowing. It was just a risk I chose not to take. It would have to be sugarless if I did though. Sandy
Darlene X
on 5/28/06 4:20 am - Maricopa, AZ
I chew gum.... I know if you accidentally swallow it can cause MAJOR issues... BUT Ive been chewing gum all my life, and the last time I swallowed it was when I was a kid.... Ive heard some people do 1/2 a piece at a time, so if you swallowed it (C'mon what are the odd's? LOL) it wont be as bad.
JRinAZ
on 5/28/06 6:19 am - Layton, UT
I was the perfect compliant post-op for 1 year and did NOT chew gum. THe idea of the possibilities scared me to death! But, in reality....I cross streets in traffic too to get to the other side and there is a risk....But sometimes we have to compare the benefit vs the risk .....So, I now chew gum bunches cuz for some psycho personal reason, I can do more mileage at the gym when I've got a fresh piece of gum going on! LOL! So, I figure if it helps me to exercise more then it must be a good thing, right? Sugar Free gum is my friend and I'm "sticking" to it! *winks* Huggggz, Joyce
Most Active