So disappointed

susiq
on 5/23/06 1:32 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I went to my first appointment and was told that my insurance requires a 6 month diet and excerise program and that I'd get turned down after the 6 months and that they didn't take Medicare so basically my only option was to pay 25K for the surgery. Should I keep checking with other Doctors? Has anyone had experience with Cigna or Medicare that may be helpful to me. I was so looking forward to getting on with this.
Darlene X
on 5/23/06 3:33 am - Maricopa, AZ
Did you post this on the right board? This is the Arizona forum-- did you mean to go to the main forum?
susiq
on 5/23/06 4:07 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I'm not sure. I live in Arizona. Should I have posted on the main forum?
Darlene X
on 5/23/06 4:10 am - Maricopa, AZ
Oh sorry--- It says you live in Dalla TX
susiq
on 5/23/06 4:42 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I just recently moved to Arizona from Dallas, Texas. I will change my profile. Thanks for reminding me.
JRinAZ
on 5/23/06 4:57 am - Layton, UT
If you're doing a cash pay then you can get a much better deal than 25K....Try Dr. TErry Simpson for a lapband (16,500) or, consider going to a different surgeon who takes medicare i.e. Dr. Juarez or DR. Fang......Medicare will cover the surgery now if you are compliant with their 6 month diet attempt. It MUST be documented consistently by a Medicare approved physician and you also need to have specific progress notes kept by the doctor and/or dietician. You must have a pysch eval (pre authorized from Medicare) You need to have copies of your last 5 years medical records and a recommendation from your pcp stating that you have a need for WLS with 1 or more co-morbidities. ....Be compliant and it should happen for you. Many on this site have had to jump through the same type of hoops to get insurance approval. ....You can go to the Medicare website for detailed directions... Good luck! Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/23/06 9:34 am - Tucson, AZ
St. Lukes in Phx---18th and Van Buren has Dr.s that take medicare. Call them. Yes, the surgery is work. For 25,000 grand I would do the diet history---etc...etc...I had to drive to Phx...like 15 times in 18 months. But, it was worth it. Took me 7 months to get my surgery approved. Sandy in Tucson Dr. Fang 347/165/147 Rny-open
VeeKay
on 5/23/06 9:59 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
I had my surgery i n April 2006 with medicare, and did NOT have to do a 6 month supervised diet. Vee
susiq
on 5/23/06 10:14 am - Salt Lake City, UT
What Dr did you use? and what did you need to have the surgery?
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/23/06 1:02 pm - Tucson, AZ
check out Vee Kays profile by hitting th profile button...it should answer your questions. Sandy
Most Active