just had lap-band surgery

happychi
on 5/17/06 2:03 am - Tolleson, AZ
I'm new here and just wanted to find out if anyone else is going through what I am. I had my lap-band sugery on 4-5-06 and had my first fill yesterday. The Doc told me to be on clear liquids for the first 48 hours but I got so hungry last nite I ate a lean cuisine and 2 cookies and felt fine afterwards. I'm just worried that maybe this surgery isn't going to work for me. Why am I so hungry? Is this normal? I'm only 60 lbs over weight but desperatley want to lose it. I'm scared that I will be one of those people that the surgery doesn't work on.....help! Anyone out there going through this too? I heard so many success stories about the surgery and did alot of research before having it done. I'm not trying to "beat the system" but don't want to be starving either......
TMAZgal
on 5/17/06 4:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
Stacey, I had my band implant on May 8th. So I haven't gone through what you are going through yet but, I've heard folks on this site say that the tightness froma fill sometimes kicks in a few days later. I think you are probably right on track. Toni
happychi
on 5/17/06 5:00 am - Tolleson, AZ
thanks for your response Toni. I hope that is the case. By the way, are you on the liquid diet that they recommend after surgery? They told me to be on clear liquids the first week, than full liquids, than soft food and fourth week is solid food but I found by the second day after surgery I was starving and could eat "normally". How are you feeling?
TMAZgal
on 5/18/06 1:24 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Stacy, I was given the liquids for the first week along with my protein shakes. I'm on the second week now whi*****ludes, cottage cheese, oatmeal and mashed potatoes, yogurt etc.. After being on the liquid 2 week pre-op and then the 1 week post of, these mushy foods seem like a banquet, LOL. I have this pschological thing where I'm afraid to eat any food not on the list. Although, my brain is thinking of things I want to eat when I am allowed, LOL.
K B (Tucson)
on 5/17/06 5:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Stacey, I am a bandster in Tucson, just wanted to say HI.
K B (Tucson)
on 5/17/06 5:53 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi, I am a bandster from Tucson. If you haven't discovered the lap band forum on OH, please drop by as we are very supportive of other bandstrers. First, what size is your band? You should know this as well as how much fill you have in the band. Many people are getting the larger 10cc band and it takes several fills to find adequate restriction. You are newly banded and you are not really going to lose tremendously until you have adequate fill. Many bandsters a are fearful as new pre-ops that the band won't work for them, but you have to follow band eating rules. If you do, you will lose well. I am almost 6 months out and have lost over 70 lb. You also need to follow your docs rules after fills. Although you may feel well, you need to be on liquids for at least 24 hr after each fill as the fill process makes your stomach swell. Email me back about how you are doing, and don't forget the OH lap band forum. Take care.
happychi
on 5/17/06 6:26 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hi KB Thanks for the info about the OH lap forum, I will check it out. As far as the size of the band the Doc told me it was the smallest one they make and I did not remember to ask him how much saline he put in it yesterday. I can email him to find out. Also, I know what you're saying about following the eating rules but I have been starving!! I tried to just have the broth and it felt like I ate nothing. So I guess will power lost the battle once again and I had to eat! But it does make sense what you said about getting the right fill amount. Looks like I will probably have to go back for more. I so wanted to start losing weight right away!! Thanks for you're advise:-)
Most Active