Goodbye "food"!

Karen37
on 5/13/06 1:31 am - Anchorage, AK
Hello, everyone! Wow - I just finished my pre-op testing yesterday. My surgery will be on Monday, May 22nd. That means I have 2 days of "normal" eating and then I start the protein drinks. I am really sad, and I am feeling that my days of enjoying food are over. I am envisioning a life of protein drinks and pureed chicken measured in medicine cups, and it is sort of making me sad. I am truly a "foodie" and enjoy preparing and enjoying good food. I guess I haven't heard much about eating after you are on solid food, but it all sounds so bland and boring. Trust me, I am trying to psych myself out with: My life will be longer! My back won't hurt! I will fit in any and all furniture! I will eat to live and not live to eat! And other happy thoughts, but I feel like I am saying goodbye to a good friend. I am just hoping that the benefits I feel will make up for such a loss of enjoyment for me. I am determined not to be a cheater. I am determined to eat what I am supposed to, and to use this tool to change my life. I am truly doing this for my health. I see looking different as a side effect. I guess that I just need some words of wisdom and hope right now so that I can enter the operating room with a sense of hope instead of dread. Thanks for your help everyone! Love, Karen
lemarie22
on 5/13/06 2:41 am - Glendale, AZ
Karen, It's a myth that your days of eating things that you like are over. Your days of eating as much as you want are over, but not what you like. My surgery was over two years ago and I can eat just about anything I want, but in much smaller portions. I never feel deprived. It took a while to get here, but it's worth it. The thing that was toughest for me to give up was diet soda, but I don't miss it at all now. I could drink it if I wanted and many people do, but I choose not to. In the first six months, I missed steak, but I can have it now. I can eat three or four ounces, but not a half a cow. I'm happy with the 3 or 4 ounces. After I first had surgery, I missed the flavor of things. By the time 6 months rolled around and I was allowed to eat just about anything, if it agreed with me, I didn't miss flavors, but I missed sitting down and eating a huge meal. I missed buffets and large family dinners and combination plates of cheesey Mexican food. It seemed like I wasn't finished tasting by the time my tummy was full. At the end of the first year, I finally hit a balance. I could taste wonderful things and eat enough to feel full, but not overloaded. It did take me a whole year, but I hit a happy balance. I was in training all week and each day, they fed us a HUGE lunch. I loaded my plate with EVERYTHING, ate my protein first, ate a few bites of veggies and left the rest. My mission in life is to waste food. People laugh at me, but it works for me. Sometimes I'll buy a bag of chips, eat a couple, throw the rest in the garbage and pour something icky over the top. I've also replaced some of my need to eat with a need to feed. I give parties, experiment with different recipes, feed the neighbors, my family, my staff. It's OK that everyone around me is getting fat, as long as I'm not. I went through a period of overfeeding my dog, but had to get that under control. You'll find what works best for you. You're not saying goodbye to food, you're just establishing a different relationship. Connie
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 3:07 am - Phoenix, AZ
Well said Connie, I couldnt agree with you more! I am 11 months post op and completely relate to everything you told Karen. I am glad that my relationship with food has changed - it was hard at the beginning, but so worth it now! Thanks for giving Karen reassurance and a clear idea of whats to come! Take care.
vquigley
on 5/13/06 3:47 am - Phoenix, AZ
Connie, Thank you for your words of wisdom. I have been wondering about some of the same issues as Karen is and I appreciate the things that you talked about. I don't have a date or insurance approval yet but am waiting . . . and waiting. I can't wait to be on the losing side. Virginia
JRinAZ
on 5/13/06 5:09 am - Layton, UT
Your are mourning the loss of what you "think" is your good friend = FOOD.....Post-op life involves many things and food is certainly part of your future. But, you might want to make FOOD as you know it your enemy and refine your belief to be more about Flavor and Health. You will be able to enjoy feasts again. Youll be equally as satisfied as anyone else at a meal.....your feast just finishes first and is the tiniest! .....BEEEEEEEEE Excited! Hugggz to you! Joyce
moirap
on 5/14/06 3:01 am - Mesa, AZ
Karen, you are not saying goodbye to food, you just have to make some changes. I look at it like being reborn. We start with formula AKA protein drinks. and then we advance to soft and then finger foods etc. Remember this is temporary just like babies. You will advance to real food. How many 3 yo sit down and eat a full meal. They eat small portions of finger food usually protein. This whole process gives you a second chance to be a thinner and healthier person. I can eat everything now except cereal and sugar. I have brainwashed myself if I eat sugar it will make me sick. I cant eat cereal because it does make me dump. I dont want to eat sweets because If I find out I can the temptation may be too great. I dont want to gain the weight back! Good luck with your surgery and make sure you let us know how things go Moira
BIG F.
on 5/14/06 7:43 am - chandler, AZ
Thanks moira, I've come out of luker mode for this one. I've been trying to put this in prospective mentally. Most of my questions have been answered on the mens board but since it mom day I figure I listen to the ladies. I like the part about comparing it to the stages a baby takes in its norishment. It makes it easier to understand the thought process.
Most Active