Home from the hospital - surgery 12-20-10

PhillyBud
on 12/24/10 6:57 am - PA
Well, I just got home from the hospital ... my surgery was on 12-20-10.

I feeling some discomfort - pressure on the abdominal area.

Discovery: getting into bed - not difficult. Getting out of bed - very difficult!!!
udeehotgirl
on 12/25/10 4:05 am - Manassas, VA
i had my surgery monday as well as just got home on Wendesday. getting out of bed and using the restroom i found difficult but it's getting better. right now i just feel very uncomfortable in my abdominal region. i don't think it's gas but im not sure. I was sent home with on On Q catheter pump and luckily today i got to remove that. so there's some freedom there.  good luck on journey!
cookinggal
on 12/26/10 3:21 pm
Hi guys,
I too had bypass surgery on Monday, 12.20!  I would love to keep up with you.  :)

I was released on Wednesday afternoon and managing fine at home.  Today was the 1st day I don't feel super bloated.  My abdomen is still sore and now my back is achy as well.  

I am on liquids and finding it somewhat challenging to drink adn eat all day to get enough fluids and protein.  Lentil soup with Costco canned chicken and greek yogurt with lots of water and tea.  How about you?

My follow up is 12.30 ~ how about you?

Annie
Carol Y.
on 12/28/10 6:16 am - WY
Hello, my name is Carol I too had surgery on the 20th. I didn't go home until thursday because of complications. I find it difficult to get out of bed and using the bathroom. It is getting better though.

My doctor has me on clear liquid until tomorrow then I finally can eat(drink) some real food like yogart and soup with no chuncks.

My follow up is on january 6th and I am looking foward to getting all my bandages off. They itch terriable.

I would love to keep up with those that are on the same course as me.

Hope to hear from some of you

Carol
cookinggal
on 12/28/10 4:43 pm
I am itching like crazy too!  I was told showering is fine, no baths or swimming.  I was also told not to pull off the steri-strips, but let them fall off naturally.  Argh!  :)

Moving is much easier except for bending over, but I have very little energy.
Kathyproctor
on 12/31/10 9:03 pm, edited 12/31/10 9:05 pm - Powderly, TX
RNY on 12/21/10 with
My surgery was on the 21st of December. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital because my blood pressure kept sky rocketing. I came home on the 23rd of December.

11 days post op today.

I'm feeling a lot better now,  I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and actually walked the store although I was really tired and my left side was irritated. This morning my left upper rib cage (front and back) is hurting when I cough.

I went to GNC yesterday and got some unflavored whey protein because I told the Dr. that all the protein I was introduced to was "sweet" and I have never been a sweet eater, I'm more of a garlic and pasta type person so, I found this great tasting bouillon in the bouillon section at Wal-Mart called "Better than bouillon" (also comes in beef flavor). It's crazy how much better this bouillon tastes compared to the regular stuff. I add my unflavored protein to the chicken bouillon and it's like a cream of chicken and has been the only thing I can drink. I add 1 scoop per bowl of soup twice a day and have no problem getting in my protein.

I've decided that plain water wasn't cutting it so, I got some of the diet V-8 splash to get my fluids in, I can't even tell it's diet.(wonderful)

I'm at a standstill on my weight though. I don't think I will ever get down below 240. I've been stuck at this weight for 3 days now, If anyone reads in the forums about how long it takes for the weight to start coming off again, please let me know.

Miralax in warm liquids is great also to help move your bowels, tasteless and works on me the same day.

Please share your future days with me and any new good drinks and foods we can have

waitingwaiting
on 1/6/11 3:19 am - Dublin, GA
 I have fallen in love with honeydew melon. I agree about the water thing!!! Thanks for the tip with the Miralax. 
PhillyBud
on 1/1/11 1:17 am - PA
Happy New Year, fellow survivors of bariatric surgery!

I was only out of the hospital for two days and I decided to get dressed and walk around the neighborhood. Can't stay home - get "cabin fever." (I'm a single guy and live in a big old house by myself).

Feeling fine, just a little pain on the left side - the very side I like to sleep on!

On Monday I'm going to graduate from liquids to soft and pureed things ... might even have some unsweetened oatmeal for breakfast then.

I've been taking as supplements: 1. Chewable Centrum Silver; 2. unpleasant Calcium citrate tablet, 3. protein drinks like Boost. How about you?
PhillyBud
on 1/8/11 10:04 am - PA
Today is the first day I had tuna salad, and I am feeling fine. Went to the gym twice in the last four days.

So far I have lost about 16 or 17 pounds.

I look in the mirror and I still look fat - same chubby face and fat belly, but the scale says I'm losing weight ... maybe I'll see a differance in a few more weeks.
laurennj38
on 1/12/11 3:54 am
Hi Everyone,
I'm Lauren and I also had surgery on 12/20.  I wonder if we could start our own group.  I just became a member so I don't know how this site works yet, but I have been reading your posts and I am in the same boat as many of you.  Here are a few things that I have learned over the past three weeks.

Viactiv -chocolate flavored- taste like tootsie rolls so forget the calcium citrate...yuck! 
I put all of my supplements and vitamins in a small baggie and take them to work with me with a note of what to take when.  It sits on my desk next to my water bottle and I take them as I work.  I find that to be the best way to remember.   There are also delicious flavors of teas and crystal light to make your water taste better.  So that makes getting your H20 easier.

I have a notebook that I fill out at night before bed of all the food I packed to take to work, noting the protien grams, approximately what time I am going to eat it (my job is crazy sometimes), and what kind of exercise I am going to do.  I have been walking since the day I got out of the hospital, working from .08 of  mile to 2.5 miles.  I have been feeling great until yesterday when I realized I must have done too much at work on Monday.  I haven't walked since Sunday and I feel sore and miserable today. 

My doctor and nutritionist said it is more important to focus on the water than the protien.  I was having a lot of trouble trying to consume both in the first two and a half weeks.  They said drink your 8 glasses of water and make one or two of them a protien shake with water.  Don't worry about the food.  That has made things easier for me.  I am really sick of the protien shakes, so I found that freezing those bananas that are about to expire, and then adding them to the blender make the chocolate shakes taste smooth and delicious.

I am down 14 lbs since surgery, 14 prior to surgery, so I can already see differences.  Like all of you I want to see them faster.  My scale hasn't moved in almost a week.  I want to throw it out the window, but I am keeping my eye on the prize....my pink bikini that I haven't worn in 5 years!

If someone figures out how to make our own group, please invite me!  If any of you have any tips on how to make this journey any easier, more fun, or can inspire me on a dark day, please write me back.
Have a great day! 
Lauren
Most Active
Recent Topics