My Surgery is 16 November 09

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/09 8:08 am - Ventura, CA
Well, here we are at the first of November and my surgery is the 16th - two weeks and one day away.  Am I nervous?  You Bet!  Am I scared?  Not a bit.  I have an excellent surgeon - Dr. Helmuth Billy, who has qualifications up the gazoo and a great support staff.  I have had nothing but positive experiences since I bit the bullet and made the first appointment.  The sleep study wasn't a lot of fun, but the people have all been fantastic.  Having discovered OH and read a few profile and seen all the great before and after pictures, I am getting more and more excited.  I have also been welcomed to the board by several people and now have several new friends here.  I love making new friends!

I know there are people who have defeated their surgeries, though I can't imagine why they would want to.  My two trigger foods are crunchy things (which usually means fried) and sweets.  Since I will not be able to eat either of these things without dire results, I don't expect to have a problem.  Even if I slip, I am not enough of a masochist to want to do it again and again.  I am not into pain, and would be extatic if I never had to throw up again, so I am not likely to court either event. 

It is a bit scary, but only in the way that something new always is...
MichelleInNY
on 11/1/09 9:58 am
Good luck Ally... you're the day before me :)

Are you on a pre-op liquid diet?
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 7:23 am - Ventura, CA
Hey, Michelle - I was told I only have to do the last two days before surgery as liquids.  However, other than a protein bar this morning, I was planning to do the rest of the day on liquids.  I use Myoplex powder meal replacements which are about 280 cals each.  I am thinking about maybe doing every other day until I get to the last two days.  How long did they tell you that you have to be on liquids pre-surgery?  They told me any weight I could lose would help, but not that I had to lose a certain amount or that they would hold the surgery until I did.  Good luck to you, too.  I hope you have a very good surgeon and have gotten all your questions answered.  Best to be all settled and confident going in to surgery.  I hope you have the same excellent post-surgical support that my surgeon's office offers, too.  They are simply awesome. 
Good luck!
Alli (please note I spell it with an i)
Pangel19AK
on 11/1/09 11:53 am - Hinesville, GA
congrats and good luck

deborah1959
on 11/3/09 12:49 am - Shelbyville, KY
Good luck to you!

I have to be cleared by the Cardiologist today, then I am all set. 

My surgery day is also 11/16.  I can't wait.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 7:25 am - Ventura, CA
Best of luck to you, Deborah.  I'm sure we'll both do fantastically!
Chena83
on 11/3/09 1:15 am - Clarksville, IN
I know how you feel. We will be under on the same day. I am schedfor 7:30 am est. What time is your surgery? Have you started your liq pre op yet? I start mine tomorrow. I'm a little nervous. Congrads. Hope all goes well wit you.
Lilypie Maternity tickers

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 7:35 am - Ventura, CA
Hey, Chena - I actually don't know the time of my surgery yet.  The folks at the hospital will contact me next week to do all the pre-admission stuff.  They told me I don't have to do liquids til two days before surgery, but I plan to do every other day on liquids until those last two days.  if you are nervous, be sure to write down any questions or fears you have and discuss them with your doctor before surgery.  It is always best to go into surgery completely calm, clear and confident.  I did a little personal survey back in 95 before I had back surgery and the people I spoke to who went in fearful had complications, while those who went in confident came out with no problems.  I went to my last appt with Dr. Billy with a list of 20 questions.  The consent document they have you sign is enough to scare anyone.  I asked all kinds of questions raised by that document that I had not thought of before, since they talk about infections and other organs getting injured and stuff.  My doctor said that I am sure to have a bruised liver from the retractor, and maybe a couple of other things, since until they get the camera in they can't see anything, but that he has a very low rate of any complications (like 2%).  They keep a very close eye on you and I'm sure all will be fine, but do settle any questions you have prior to surgery.  One thing you can be sure of is that they will do their best to ensure there are no complications as much for their own benefit as for yours.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 7:38 am - Ventura, CA
Chena - I just looked up your doctor after I wrote my last reply to your post and he has all kinds of qualifications, plus over 1000 RNY surgeries to his credit, so I'm sure you are in great hands.  With a record like that, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have prior to your surgery too.  Take care

Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1886 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 881 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 896 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1264 views