November 17th...

MichelleInNY
on 10/29/09 9:09 am, edited 10/29/09 12:20 pm
Hi folks,

I'm scheduled for Nov. 17 lap RNY.  I meet with the NUT on Monday, then start a 2-week liquid and veggies diet the day after.  I've been attending support group meetings, have an awesome counselor, and basically am just trying to prepare myself (at home and at work) for being out of commision for a bit and general post-op life.

I don't think any amount of prep work can really prepare you though... my brain is stuck in "surreal" feelings at the moment.  

I started the process last December, so from start to finish (whi*****ludes the 6 month doctor diet), it will have taken me 10 1/2 months.  While going through it it felt as though surgery would never get here... now it's less than three weeks away and I can't believe it!  Excited, scared, you name it.

Here's to us to November dates.. kickin off the holidays right :) 

Michelle
RDM1967
on 10/30/09 8:55 am - Hauppauge, NY

Michelle,  I just goy my surgery date today and its the 17th as well.  You said it right - I am excited, scared.....  One minute I am ecstatic, the next minute I ask "why am I doing this?"  (thank God the whys are quickly stomped out by the excitement. 

Are you on a liquid diet pre- op?  I do not have any special diet for the pre-op.  I am also a littel confused at the post op first few weeks but I will get that all cleared up next week when I meet with the nurse practitioner!

Good luck to you on your journey!  I feel like I am actually going to start my life over again!

Rita (Long Island)

rita1952
on 10/30/09 2:43 pm - Sullivan, MO
Michelle & Rita - we are surgery tripletts!!!  Im also having RNY surgery on Nov 17th!

I, too, understand about scared, excited, scared and then excited again!  And I have also asked myself  WHY?    And like you, those are fleeting moments.  I think the problem is like you said - even tho we think we are prepared, it is unknow territory for us.  AND - we are giving up our best friend.

When I was making out my liquied diet grocery list - I started crying.  I couldnt even go shopping that day.  But the next day,  off I went and purchased everything I needed.  Liquid diet starts on Monday - so I will be on it 16 days before surgery.  The liquid diet will be a true test for me....

Rita1952  (St Louis)
RDM1967
on 11/7/09 11:32 am - Hauppauge, NY
Hi Ladies,  Only 9 days away!

The day after I posted I was advised that I needed to go on a liquid diet.  I was a little upset I did not know before hand, but once I got over the shock I realized it was a great way to ease into the "after surgery" eating.  I have lost 7 pounds sp far.  My BMI was 51 and I should be under 50 before the surgery.

Good luck to you both.  I would love to stay in touch after the surgery - I think it would be awesome to have someone else going through it exactly the same time to compare notes and offer encouragement.

My email is [email protected] if you would like to contact me directly!
rita1952
on 11/8/09 3:11 am - Sullivan, MO
I am on day # 7 of my liquid diet.  I havent weighed myself this week-end but onThursday I had lost 6lbs.  We have 9 more days to go, ladies!!!

Do either of you ever go into the chat room?  If  you do,  I go by Rita1952.  Would love to chat with you!

My e-mail address is   [email protected]

Hang in there with the liquid diet!  It was kind of hard for me this week-end - but I have made it!  Can start cheating now!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1886 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 881 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 896 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1264 views