New to OH!

ismile4natalie
on 10/20/07 1:53 pm - NY
Hello, my name is Michelle. I just had rny on October 1st in Syracuse, NY. I am 19 days post-op. My surgery went just fine, except for some minor complications before I left the hospital. Anyway, I would like to start by saying that I have been checking out this site for a couple of days and I am very impressed. People really seem to care here and everything I have read has been really informative. Right now I am struggling with a couple of things. First, I am having a hard time finding high protein foods that I can eat at this stage of the diet. I am a terribly picky eater. The only thing on the list that I actually like is chicken. I have forced myself to try eggs, but I just couldn't do it. My next test will be yogurt. Wish me luck! My other issue is with constipation. It has been 9 days since my last bm. I am not impacted, nor am I in a lot of pain. But, it is getting more uncomfortable by the minute. First, I tried a laxative for women (Wal-Mart brand), and I just sent my husband to get Milk of Magnesia and Colace. Also, I am trying to increase the amount of water I am drinking. If anyone has any advice on either of these subjects I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom! Thank you so much, in advance!
kevin79
on 10/21/07 1:57 am - clarkston, WA
hey michelle!!! how are you?? me im great my name is kevin and i had wls on the 2nd of oct,i lost 30 pounds so far and 16 inches!! i totally know what your going through! butr there is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel!! i was getting worried about not having bm's but i started drinking alot of water and it helps alot! the other thing my doctor said was that it is normal not to have bm's regularly becuase it takes time for your insides to start to work together. i still have hard bm's but its getting better! um protien is a hard one for me i have tried alot of stuff one thing you might want to try is any whey protien its tasteless and you can get it at GNC for cheap its 25 grams per scoop and it mixes well with carnation instant breakfast sugar free of course and i have a baked ricotta dish that is high in protien that you might want to try its like having lasanga without the noodles its still good!!! also try chilli with out the beans it has 19 grams of protien and its really good with a ounce of cheddar cheese!! i am still learning as you are too so maybe we can share info !!! well i am off to church but i would love to talk to you more!!! and remember you are awesome!!! p.s. how much weight have you lost? take care!!! kevin
ismile4natalie
on 10/21/07 10:37 am - NY
Kevin, Thank you so much for your quick response! I have now lost fifteen pounds. It seems since my first post-op doc's visit I have stopped losing weight. I think it may have to do with the constipation. But, who knows? I would absolutely love the baked ricotta recipe! It sounds fantastic. And, I will definitely try the tasteless whey protein. I am on the whey protein shakes now (GNC's Cookie's N Cream),sometimes with water and sometimes with soy milk. It's pretty good. But, I'm getting sick of it, to the point where it's getting difficult to choke down. My nutritionist advised me to stop taking the Carnation because I was having diarrhea and it contains lactose, which could have been contributing to it. Your weight loss is incredible and I sincerely thank you for your words of encouragement. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Keep up the great work! Michelle
kevin79
on 10/22/07 2:17 am - clarkston, WA
hey michelle!!! hey my dietician said it is totally normal to be sensitive to tastes and textures i thought i was losing it for a minute cause i couldnt use protien powder or liquid so yeah that sucked lol! um the baked ricotta here is the recipe!,,use 8oz ricotta cheese 1/2 cup parmesan cheese,1 large egg,1 teaspoon italian seasoning,salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, mix ricotta parmesan beaten egg and seasonings in oven proof dish pour marinara sauce on top and top with mozzarella bake @ 450 for 20-25 minutes its great!!!! you lost 15 lbs?!!!! thats awesome!!!! keep it up!! well i better go for now and remember you are awesome!!!!! kevin
u_wanna_angel
on 11/8/07 10:51 am
Kevin, I had my Bypass on Oct 3 2007. And I can not figure out what to eat. Im having a hard time with meats. I usually throw up. I am not drinking enough water. I have already been back to the ER for fluids. If you could help me figure out what I can eat that will give me some energy and help me get on that losing streak. I havent lost any weight in almost 2.5 weeks. I have an appt with my surg. on the 15th. And I am always hungry, did you have that? If you could help that would be great. Angela
Most Active
Recent Topics
6+ years out...
Amg563 · 2 replies · 907 views
6 years Post Op
girlsmile45 · 0 replies · 912 views
5 Years!!!
Kathie L. · 4 replies · 1545 views
My Date
canadianlady · 0 replies · 1035 views
4 year anniversary!!!
MzRaina · 1 replies · 1093 views