5DPT - anyone else done/doing it?

ShandrewsCA
on 11/3/08 2:41 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
I am on Day 4 of the 5 day pouch test.  Day 1 was okay, Day 2 my carb withdrawals were so severe I literally had to crawl out of bed to use the restroom.  Day 3 was much better because I could eat, although oddly enough I was never particularly hungry!  Anyway, I have lost 5 lbs so far, and I got a nice tight pouch again.

Just wondering if anyone has done or is doing this and how you are doing.
shelt
on 11/4/08 7:04 pm - Neer Lake Erie, PA
Hi There ,
How are things going?

I'm having trouble eating the way I should but it's in the oposite aspect. I'm lucky if I get in 800-1000 cal and sometimes it doesn't stay in anyway.
My surgon sent me to a councler for anorexic tendancies , I do good most times but some days just a few bites of food and my tummy is killing me and it hurts and I foam and it won't stop till I "get rid off" whatever it is in my tummy bugging me.

He checked for blockage and scarring and ect and said it was NOT the pouch it was my head. He said it stems from being 500 lbs at one time and NOT wanting to ever be 500 lbs again. I havent gotten it fixed yet , but at least now I am more aware of it and I tend to look for the issue that bothers me on those days rather then the foods.

Sorry to babble just wanted to send ya some good vibes and say congrats on the weight loss.
HW~488 ~SW~418 ~ CW ~216~ Mom to Ali 08/27/07 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

linda D.
on 11/5/08 12:25 am - Holbrook, NY
heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Good job on the 5 lb weight loss - I am planning on starting the pouch test on monday morning - I find it easier to do things like that during the week rather than on the weekends - I think the weekends are my downfall - altho I must be honest and say the EVERY day is my downfall lately

I tried to do the test about 2 months ago and got thru the 2nd day and then I'm not really sure what happened - but this time I am determined...

I knew I was off track on my anniversary but I seemed to be okay with it - at the end of september I re-joined my gym and started going 4 - 5 mornings a week (5:30 a.m.) - I work out an hour each day - go home - make a protein shake - jump in the shower and then get my butt to work...sounds great right? well I thought it was or would be - but no - I have GAINED SIX pounds - I have limited my food intake to basically protein and exericising and I'm GAINING - I went to my nutritionist this morning and have a "metabolism test" done - mine is "above normal" which for most would be a good thing - apparently it means nothing to my body

So now I have made an appointment with my surgeon to check me out and make sure that everything is okay inside - (the nutritionist thinks that my pouch may have stretched out) -- I understand that age plays a factor in our bodies (I'm 49) and that menopause sometimes causes women to gain weight but I am trying to lose and I am gaining - makes no sense to me at all.  There are days that I wish I had Shel's problem - I would love to not be able to eat - but I can eat anything for the most part...

I have gained almost 25 lbs back from my lowest weight and can't seem to fix it and honestly - it's scaring the hell out of me and making me a crazy person....

any thoughts? anyone?

~Linda
RNY 9/9/2005
Starting 309; Lowest 174; Current 196; Goal 165

Maddiebug
on 1/1/09 12:12 am - Madrid, NY
Linda, and Shell,
I hope you don't feel too discouraged because a lot of us are in the same boat.  I have gained 30 pounds from my lowest weight.  I am by no means obese, but it is so discouraging to gain weight back after losing all that weight and even scarier to think that I can and probably will gain it all back.  My husband gets so bad at me when I say I am fat, I weigh 164 and I am 5'10, but I feel soooo fat. 

I really wish that we could all start using this site more, so that we have someone to share these problems with.  Send me a message anytime.  I know that it is just a big wish, but I am hoping that the New Year will kick me in the butt.
Blackthorne
on 1/8/09 8:52 am - Alpharetta, GA
"I really wish that we could all start using this site more,"

Me, too.   I miss talking to you guys.    I had 10-15lbs of bounce back from my lowest weight which is what I was told to expect, so I'm doing fairly well.   (My low weight was 140.2, and I bounce between 151-155 most days).    What kind of a BMI does 164 and 5'10 give you?    I'm thinking that while 134 may have seemed great, that 150ish may be closer to a healthier weight for you. 

My brother gave me this for Christmas:  http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&pr odid=11295243&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=8&lang=en-US   It's a 2yr membership to 24 Hour Fitness (all club except the ultra sport).   It comes out to about $12.50/month.    If anyone else is looking to work out, this is a great deal on a gym.

The certificate should be arriving soon, so I'll be starting back in the next week or so.   I did a lot of outdoor working out over the summer and fall, but this winter has kicked my butt.   We've had so much snow in Seattle that the city barely moved for three weeks, and we've still got avalanches and floods closing every major freeway in/out of town.   

I can feel my muscles atrophying and my arms getting weak. I gave away seven boxes of books last night, and carrying them out to the car, they felt like they weighed a TON, but they were only about 35lbs a piece.   I miss having strength, so I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym.

Have you guys made any non-weight/non-exercise-related resolutions??

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Musicmama88
on 1/3/09 3:21 am - Danville, IN
Havent been on here forever,,was good to see some familiar faces,,
Im starting the pouch test on Monday as well,,and looking forward to it, let me tell ya! I have gained almost 20 pounds from my lowest, never did reach goal. So, this  year Im trying really hard to do that. I can eat a lot of foods, but there are still several that make me sick. Unfortunately sugar is not one of those,,,except sometimes I get really sleepy. Ive done the test twice before and it really worked for me. Made my pouch sensitive again and able to hold less,,,thats my goal this time too.
I guess it will always be a battle for us, but at least we dont have the massive amounts to lose that make it look hopeless.
Im still 120 pounds less than I was when I had the surgery, so I dont have as far to go.
Lets check in here often,,,the support will do us good.

Blessings
Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tammy N.
on 2/6/09 5:44 am - Groveland, MA
Hi everyone....I was reading your posts, I am trying to get back on track and see what other people are going through. I only lost about 57% of my total body fat bringing me down to 200lbs then I have been at a plateau not really on track.  What exactly is the pouch test? Is it some type of jump starter? Is there anything you are suppose to follow?  The past couple days I started to concentrate on increasing my protein so I don't graze...suggested by my nutritionist.  I gained about 10lbs the past month or so and the past 2 weeks were really hard because I quit smoking and boy have I been crawling the walls trying to keep both habits under control.
ShandrewsCA
on 2/9/09 12:15 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
The 5DPT was great . . . but of course I fell off the wagon and am now up 22 lbs from my lowest weight!  I am by no means "fat" but I am not happy whatsever and am very scared about gaining more.  So, I trucked my butt back to Curves this morning for a re-eval, and now I am going to go back to the gym.

For me, the biggest downfall is alcohol.  I love wine or a screwdriver at night . . . sigh.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Just Checking in - May 2018
ShandrewsCA · 0 replies · 610 views
Anyone still out there?
Maddiebug · 2 replies · 719 views
7 years ago today
livelyvc · 0 replies · 918 views
stomach pain
Tessy · 1 replies · 928 views