Adkins

livelyvc
on 9/23/08 2:49 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi All--

After a recent trip to the doctor's office, I finally had to deal with the fact that I was gained weight and was not happy about it. I exercise regularly and do not eat sugar and since my surgery have gained a considerable amount of muscle...however the scale at the Dr's said 200 and my scale at home said 198. This just doesn't work for me. My lowest weight was 165 my personal goal is 172.

I tried an extreme exercise regimine of working out cardio and weights for 2 hrs a day, but didn't loose a pound and in fact found that I was quite hungary and as a result was eatting more.

Anyway... in desperation, I decided to give Adkins a try. I like the structure and the basic idea seemed to be in keeping with the post WLS surgery instructions I'd gotten. After 9 days I've lost 8 pounds! This seems crazy to me because it isn't like I'm trying to loose 80 pounds. But I'm happy about it and not starving. Actually I'm enjoying eatting and cooking more than I have in quite a while.

What I realized was that I misunderstood that whole eat protein first instruction we got after weight loss. I thought that was because protein is most important and our stomachs were so small we needed to make sure we got that in. I thought after we could eat more we should add carbs and foods that were less dense in calories to keep from gaining weight. I didn't think protein first meant eatting an 8 ounce steak.... ok 6 ounce steak.... then get some veggies in...

Anyway for those of you who are struggling with weight gain like I am, I recommend giving it a try. For me it is a perfect fit.
Ready4 AChange
on 9/25/08 10:11 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Thanks for the info.
Before my surgery Atkins was my last "diet" I figured I would try "one more" before I looked into WLS. I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months and figured " I could do this" but then the holidays came. The difference in doing this now is that "the sugar binge" won't work for me because I'm still afraid of dumping. How about posting one of your "daily menues" so I can get an idea of what I was doing wrong ?  My biggest problem is not logging my food and not getting enough protein in. I guess I better get back to "the rules" since I am gaining also.
Good Luck,
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

BethH
on 9/27/08 12:31 pm - White House, TN

Question: I tried atkins once and also lost 30# but when I went off, it was like my digestive track never recovered.  Gas galore - even when I sleep. Does anyone know if IBS can be a result of the ATKINS diet?   Just curious, and wishing I had NEVER gone on the diet at all...but maybe it was a coincidence.

livelyvc
on 9/29/08 5:01 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Sandy,

I'm starting my 3rd week of following Atkins. 2nd week was not as exciting as the first, but I am down a total of 8.5 pounds as of this morning. Leaving 17.5 pounds to go to my goal weight.

So here is a typical day...

Pre workout snack
1 oz cheese

Breakfast:
2 eggs
2 pattis of turkey sausage
1 oz cheese

Morning snack

Lunch
6 oz chicken
1 cup of greenbeans

afternoon Snack
1/2 an Isopure premixed protein drink

Dinner
6 oz of chicken
1 cup califlower--with cheese sauce
1 cup eggplant and tomatoes

Seems like a lot of food to be loosing weight on. But there it is.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Just Checking in - May 2018
ShandrewsCA · 0 replies · 610 views
Anyone still out there?
Maddiebug · 2 replies · 719 views
7 years ago today
livelyvc · 0 replies · 918 views
stomach pain
Tessy · 1 replies · 928 views