How much can you eat?

LeighTilton
on 2/3/07 8:18 am - Laconia, NH
Hi, I had surgery on 8/22/06, so i am like 5 1/2 mths out. I was just curious as to how much someone 5 1/2 mths out can eat. I know everyone is slightly different. I cannot eat a whole lean cusine or smart one. I am having trouble getting all of my protien in but am working diligently towards that goal. I don't have real good luck with meats or bread. I can eat tuna and haddock and chicken if I mu**** up with my fork to the consistencey of ground. I also have no trouble with Wendy's chili which is now my favorite thing. Give me some ideas of what you are eating. Thanks!
Moylemoyle1
on 2/4/07 9:15 am - escanaba, MI
Hello, I had my RNY on 8-11 and I lost 64 pounds in the first 3 months and I haven't lost another pound since!!! I can eat about 1/2 ti 3/4 of a lean cusine. I have noticed if I drink with my lean cusine I can fini**** I have a very hard time not drinking with my meals!!! My hair is coming out in full force now and everyone says to get my protein in. I found protein bullets 45 grams of protein in 3oz. I'm not gonna lie I had to get used to them before I liked them. They are very sweet. I have not had any problems with meat or bread. I kinnda wish I did. How much have you lost? Maybe you can do the protein shakes to get in the protein? I know I haven't been getting in mine so my goal is to get more in and hopefully I'll start to drop more pounds.
Michelle00000032
on 2/6/07 12:47 am - Somerville, MA
I had my surgery on 8/21 and am, as you are, about 5 1/2 months out. I have lost 110 pounds and can eat basically some of everything. Id o nto do well as you say with breads, rice or pasta, I can do burger, steak, ham, pork as long as I cut it small and chew very well. My favorite thing to eat, because it tastes so damn good and goes down well is Lobster, I have been getting a lobster roll and it lasts me about 3 meals. I do find that veggies I can eat a bunch of, watermellon and mellons are good. Cheese and soups. I also love Wendy's chili. I think you have to remember to chew very well and eat slow. If you take small bites and rest a bit and then go back to it you will get your protein in. Also, I dont worry about how much I am eating, when I feel full, I stop and go back in a little while. As for my hair, yes it is thinning and I am hoping that it wont get worse. I have heard that folic acif helps along with Biotin. I bought the Biotin and I am not sure it that was it but I got terrible cramps in my intestine/stomach so I stopped taking them and it never happened again. I will try taking some extra folica acid and let ya know how that goes. Michelle
Pam P.
on 2/6/07 2:46 am - LaGrange, GA
Hi Guys....my surgery was 8/28 and as for eating...I can manage about 3/4 lein Cuisine meal....3/4 small Wendys chili.....love me some lobster (what is a lobster roll and where can you get one..lol)... My carb cravings are back....which is dangerous...I find myself wanting chips and crackers... I eat alot of cheese and drink mostly milk... I cant manage chicken hardly at all...if its part of something maybe I can get it down but as for taking just a bite of chicken...no way... I love steak the best.... and yes I struggle with protein intake also...which is probably why I have only lost 56 pounds since surgery and not one pound lost since a week before thanksgiving...I have actually gained 6 back but Im sure thats water. It takes so much energy to eat and drink all the time...then I wonder why I dont loose anymore...
wahoo59
on 2/6/07 8:25 am - Cranbury, NJ
Hi Pam, I think I am eating tooooo much. I eat about 2/3 of a cup of eggs mixed with veggies and meat in the am, a protien bar mid morning, My lunch is where it gets heavy. I just eat. Then I have another bar or shake. Then dinner is big again. But I am bown as of this morning 102 lbs. So i dont know if its how much you eat but what you eat. I stalled for a month as well. Just keep at it and it will come. Tommy
babs810
on 2/7/07 1:34 pm - Boston, MA
Hi had surgey 8/23/06 I can eat just about anyhting just in small amounts,,, kinda scarey for me. I do eat about 5 or 6 crackers with tuna, chicken, ham cheese, breads, maybe a 1/2 slice of wheat bread. I can now eat 3/4 of a roll up pita bread as a sandwich...I eat lots of meat & some veggies. I live on PBJ on graham crackers as a meal or snack... I do eat veggie chips & oatmeal cookies. Dunkin donuts oatmeal cookies is about 5- 6 servings for me & thats satisfying........I also eat popcorn as a snack maybe 1-2 times a week, it can take me 3 -4 snacks to eat a bag..... but only as a really really bad craving... My biggest problem is fluid.... still cant drink water. only Hot tea & propel, crystal light. I eat alot of yogart I love it frozen as a icee... I think the biggest thing is to eat slowly.. when i start to burp i know i have had enough & thats when i am full....... It took me long time to eat like this & some days i just do all liquids and south beach meal replacement bars & that works well for me....Hope this helps.... Barbara
LEAH W.
on 2/11/07 4:30 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
My surgery was on 8/25 and so far I can tolerate mostly anything. That unfortunately includes sugar A normal meal for me is about 5 ounces. I eat these frozen fish things that you can get in the frozen section. They are called oven toppers. It's frozen fish stuffed with things like spinach or crab. They are about 5 ounces. I can eat a whole one but I can't eat anything with it. Or I can eat about 3 ounces of meat and a couple spoonfulls of salad. I don't normally eat other sides with my meal. Just meat or meat and a vegetable. I save the fruit for snacks. I really love popcorn but I think I was eating it too often so I haven't bought anymore. I don't have any problems getting my protein in because I eat a lot of fish and drink protein drinks. My favorites are the Nectar drinks/ Nashua Nutrition drinks and the New whey liquid protein vials of 25 grams of protein in 2.9 ounces. I can drink like 2 of those each day and I'm pretty much set for the day. The first thing I do when I wake up is make a protein shake. About an hour or two later I'll have some protein (bacon, boiled egg, slices of cheese). About two hours later it's time for lunch. Mainly fish or chicken. Two hours after that another protein shake. So for me, the key is having something every two or three hours, but just not empty calories. Sometimes I think that I don't eat enough at mealtime but I just can't fit anything else in !!!
Talvarez
on 2/25/07 6:32 am - San Dimas, CA
Hi guys. I had surgery 8/1/06, down 90lbs, and about 30lbs to my personal goal. I'll share what I eat. I admit that I stopped the protein shakes early on, maybe at month 4, and just decided I'd get it in some other way. I don't do well with RICE!! Big no no. I notice if I eat more often thru the day, I can have more at dinner for an evening out.. If I don't eat much, my stomach constricts and I find bite two a warning to go no further.. You have to find your place. I wasn't loosing lbs by the week like I expected these last few months, but its slow and coming. Best part is I never gain, so even a small 2-5lb loss a month will get me to goal. Breakfast: I stopped having those starbucks foo foo drinks with sugar (even though I can tolorate them no problem).. I realized I don't need the extra calories nor do I really like their "sugar free syrups"... so I do ICED COFFEE w/HALF AND HALF, SWEETENED WITH SWEET AND LOW.. Big calorie cut and I am still happy! Cereals mostly, or an egg fried with 1-potato cut up, or corned beef hash/egg at a restaurant, or a bagel heavilly toasted with cream cheese. If the bread is toasted well, I can do a half sandwhich or 1/2 bagel, etc. Lunch and dinners.. I enjoy ground beef for dinner w/seasoning, or I can eat beef and broccoli chinese food (not all the brocolli, but the chipped beef is tender), soup and 1/2 toasted sandwich, chili, chicken enchillada (no tortilla, just eat meat)..I tend to buy alot of things that I can eat the inside out of. A soft chicken taco with cheese and sour cream, and I do really well with taco bell "fiesta salad" cause I can eat at the tortilla shell and eat the beans, cheese and ground beef out of it. 1-hot dog diced up with baked beans or melted cheese on it, salami and cheese w/crackers, and now I can do 1-slice of bread with PBJ. Milk is my favorite and as we see it advertised, its known to assist with weight loss if drinked daily. JUST SOME IDEA'S GUYS.. Good luck to everyone, Summer is coming!!!
anna1916
on 3/15/07 10:57 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I don't eat much, but I am afraid to try a lot of things. I have hard time with things like chicken, shrimp, and sometimes ground beef. Breakfast for me, nearly every day, is a Venti Decaf Nonfat Sugarfree Vanilla Latte from Starbucks. It's got 15 grams of protein, and it tastes really good Lunch is usually a bowl of soup or a protein bar. I'm making my way through every protein bar known to human kind to find ones I like. Dinner is a bit of whatever the family is having if it is something I can tolerate, or another bowl of soup, tuna, or even cheese and crackers. Snacks are usually pretzels in cream cheese, protein bars, nuts, havarti cheese, peanut butter on crackers, or Dannon Light and Fit yogurt. I also keep a good supply of sugar free popsicles and pudding in. I like the premade Jello pudding better than the kind I make myself, and my favorite flavors are the two new ones - the chocolate mint and the dulce de leche - YUMMY. I haven't pushed myself to try too many things that I am afraid I will have no troublt with. Rice has been my biggest no-no - and I love sushi, so that's been sad I have switched to Yosenabe, a Japanese soup with seafood and chicken and tofu in it. I started the journey weighing 295 pounds. Had lap RNY on August 1st, and as of this morning, I am down 130 pounds to 165
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views