Just wanted to be a part of the "August Buddies"

mom2angel
on 12/29/06 11:10 am - Big Spring, TX
I had surgery 8/25/06 I have has 4 strictures, with 4 Dilations then God gave me a miracle this last time, and my stomach had not closed! I am still only eating mush foods, I am scared of food because of my horriable 1st month. My mother through the grace of God saved my life, because it was just about over! I have lost 83 pounds, my hair is thinning out alot, I havn't smoked since my surgery, just trying to throw out some conversation starters!!! Bekah
newme2be
on 12/30/06 12:01 am - braselton, GA
83 pounds how wonderfull but of course am sorry to hear of your problems however it sounds like things are looking up for you now as for myself i have lost 89 have went from 303 to 214 and am so greatfull for this second chance just keep on keeping on and things will look up. God Bless
dawnatosweet
on 12/31/06 5:17 am - Turlock, CA
Hi welcome August buddy I had my surgury 8/21/06 and I have had 3 strictures with 3 dilations and im worried about getting it again my first was very bad I was at 6 mm thought I was going to die. I just had my last dilation on 12/20/06 going to the dr on 1/2/07 to see how bad I was I have lost about 82lbs so far my hair to is thinning out but I cant drink the protien shakes they cause me to have the reaction as the dumping and I was real sick. Best wishes to you keep in touch.
Aunt Pam
on 1/1/07 6:23 pm - Arlington, WA
Boy, I am so sorry to hear that you have such strictures and dilations.... good heavens, you have really gone through alot. I am so lucky to have not had any.. knock on wood. I don't blame you for your fear of food after experienceing such a terrble first month. Your weightloss is wonderful! You are doing so well. I too have had good success. I have the hair loss problem, inthat I certainly have been noticing more hair on my brush and as I "run my hands through my hair" I drag out way more hairs than normal. I am so proud that you have not been smoking! I bet if you start eating small bits of new things and give your new little pouch a chane to try these new foods out, then you will find some that will be safe to add to your menu! I enjoyed Beef and Barley soup, it seemed like such a splurge. I also tried chicken and dumplings, and that too was mushy good. I encourage you to chew.. that will be your control that the food that goes down is safe. Take good care. Thinking of you... Happy New Year! -Pam
Pam P.
on 1/2/07 5:51 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey Bekah...gosh arent you pretty...its nice to see our old faces again huh... Wow Im sorry you have had so many issues....I had surgery 8/28 and havent had any...Ive only dumped once and had the "foamies" 3 times in 4 months so I am blessed. My hair is thinning too....but scale sure isnt moving like yalls... I started at 228 at surgery and am currently (well before I gained over the holidays for not eating enough)....at 176.....they call me a "light-weight" and say my loss is great so far and right on target but.............ugh....I wanna 89 Tell me how do you know if you have a sticture or need a dialtion? Im just curious what those symptoms are in case I ever have issues. Great job on not smoking....man gotta run guys....ttyl (tonite)
mom2angel
on 1/2/07 9:48 am - Big Spring, TX
Pam, with my sticture it was kinda hard not to know because anything I "ate" would come back up. Even water. So my exit from my stomach was completly closed no exit what so ever. There is a sharp pain that feels like its at the bottom of your esophogus (sp?) Like a squeezing feeling. After my stomach closed all the way I dared not eat anything, only tried water, but when I started losing that too thats when I was hospitalized. I have had 4 dilations and I have been stretched to a 10mm which the "normal post surgery" exit should be a 15-18mm so I am getting there, but will need another dilation, but I am praying that God will allow this to be the last one that I need. I can safely say that "being alive" is a positive on my list. You are looking really great, so what is your "goal weight"? I think I have decided to make 160 my first "we'll see" goal weight. I'll get there then we'll see. I have lost 1/2 of my weight, and I have 77 more to go. I am 5'10. It will be so awesome to say that I am not even in the "overweight" catagory, much less the obese. Talk 2 Ya Later Bekah
Ms.Traci C.
on 1/2/07 10:53 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Sorry to hear about your stricture problems. I haven't had anything significant so far. I do have a low iron level...but guess what! It was low prior to surgery too... Needless to say, I am on iron supplements and eating foods high in iron. So far I have only had one dumping incident....from a protein shake! It was an awful feeling. I made it through the holidays...I won't lie I did eat...what I wanted to. I have moved on and will work hard to get back on the right track. I am down 65 pounds so far....I am so thankful for that. Hugs and Happy New Year! Traci
himalayans010
on 1/2/07 5:25 pm - Elk Grove, CA
Wow, i'm sorry you're having problems, buy very happy to see you're doing well. 83 lbs is great. My surgery was 8/3 and I'm down 73 lbs. I've gotta admit I've had a hard time with the hair loss. I'm used to having very thick hair, like a horses tail...now it's just a few strands. I'm hoping it ends soon, or I will be buying hair extensions!! I'm using Nioxin, but I'm still pulling out alot of hair. I also buy the expensive shampoo that's a thickening solution. That way my hair doesn't look so thinned out. My father was 50% gray when he was 14, so guess how much gray I have in my head...and I'm 34. I colored my hair a couple of weeks before surgery, so the bottom half of my head is fine, but the top is bald and gray...isn't that beautiful!!! lol...Wish you the best..
Jan C.
on 1/4/07 6:22 am - Cedar Creek, MO
Lisa the hair will grow back but in the meantime to make it look better would be best o cut it really short and it will look thicker. Mine is doing the same thing. im heading to the beautify shop next week for a punked out spiked hairdo lol. Jan
cj29
on 1/4/07 11:37 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am so sorry to hear about your complications and hope that was your last dilation. On the wonderful side of losing 80+ pounds and feeling alive makes it all worth it. I am in ONEDERLAND and down 84lbs - Thank the Lord no complications. It is a difficult journey and I will pray for you to be in the healing phase of your journey. God bless! Carrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views