Here's what's going on.......

Carol G.
on 11/28/06 12:50 pm - Ahwahnee, CA
am 3 months out today. WooHoo! I have lost 75 lbs. total so far. My doctor told me to get a minimum of 40 grams of protein a day. I can only eat about 200 - 400 calories a day. I'm bored with food. I would rather not eat. I'm bored with my protein drinks. I drink only 1 a day, which is about 20 or so grams of protein, then whatever I eat counts towards the other 20 (hopefully). I have been bad with water, but have really been pushing it and Crystal Light. Why can't I eat? What do you all eat? How in the world does one eat 700 - 800 calories? I'm sick of cottage cheese and those types of foods. Today I even tried a quarter of a grilled cheese sandwich, I only took a few bites. I know I need to eat more, but just don't want to and nothing tastes good. Anyone else having these problems? Today I almost fainted in the grocery store. Thank God I was with a friend who stayed with me in the car till I felt a little better. I've been feeling lightheaded lately too if I stand for too long.
Fabat50
on 11/28/06 9:48 pm - Port Charlotte, FL
Although thankfully I have not felt lightheaded, I too have trouble with appetitie and eating. I try so hard to get the protein and fluid in but it is an all day totally consuming thing. Who would have ever thought that a dr would tell me I needed to eat MORE? Anyway....You are not alone. I see how many people eat wild stuff and I can't imagine how they are doing that. I am still not much beyond cottage cheese and other similar soft wet foods. BORING. Don't get me wrong I am greatful for my 81 lb loss since my 8/24 surgery date. Others I know who are years post op said not to judge anything until at least 6 months post op. Things will get better. My dietian suggested that I start the day with a can of Zoic which is a protein shake. It has 21 g protein and only 1 gm sugar. It is fair in taste (Vanilla or chocolate) I get it down and then the rest of the day try to add protein like cottage cheese and Wendy's chili. I will also eat a slice of cheese as a snack. I carry light mozzarella cheese sticks with me too. It will get better. Keep up the good work. Be sure to take your vitamins, calcium and b12 Nettta
Pam P.
on 11/28/06 10:43 pm - LaGrange, GA
Wow Carol and Zetta yalls loss is AMAZING! I must give you congrats on that....AWESOME! I had surgery 8/28 and have only lost 42! But I have gone from a size 22 to a 12/14 so Im happy......... on foods and stuff...........same here...........so bored and could care less if I eat anything at all ever. I struggle daily and never get my water in ever....but try to drink my Body Fortress protein each day...it mixed with milk taste great and gives me 31g in one glass, but I do have to admit on weekends Im even slack with that. food is such a challenge...I like on milk and cheeze they save me... and Ive started with protein bars but they are sweet tasting and I dont like sweet tasting things now... I use PURE PROTEIN bars...25g protein with only 2g sugar...they fill me quick though...oh and Atkins morning start crispy rice ones 15g of protein in them... they save me and help me get my protein in.........they are small and I can make it thru them...some days its just a bar and glasses of milk and one protein shake for me... although I have found Weigh****chers SMART ONES...they are low in carbs and sugar and high in protein...ranges from 15 - 25g per meal...watch the carb count though. Good Luck guys! and congrats again
cowangel
on 11/30/06 9:04 am - Grovetown, GA
I am three months and a week out, and I don't eat a great deal either... I do eat cheese the lowfat stringcheese, and I drink at least one sometimes two protein shakes a day... I love my protein shakes... I really don't eat meat... I eat eggs several tiems a week... I munch on soy crisps and I did buy Kashi Chewy Granola bars. lowfat , low sugar, and low carb with flax seed oil in them... They have almonds in them too.. Nuts are a weakness for me... I really really enjoy them and while high in fat, I have them occasionally... If I eat meat, it's tuna or Salmon... chicken,pork and turkey make me sick and cause me great pain....
Ms.Traci C.
on 12/1/06 4:18 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Hi Carol, WEll...good job on the weight loss!!! I feel so blessed...I am down 50 pounds and really haven't had any issues except constipation...which is resolved. I am able to get all my protein in with food thankfully....my surgeon wants us to get a minimum of 60 grams in daily. I usually get in about 80. I eat three to four meals a day and drink, drink , drink. I plan out all my meals....all of them. I do protein first and then I eat my low carb vegetable. All my snacks are high in protein. I understand about being bored with food...I started off eating Morning Star soy products....well, now I can't stomach them. Just the smell along makes me want to puck. Now I go toward turkey, chicken and fish...I can also do beef...actually anything. Good Luck to you...have you had your labs drawn yet. I really would call the doctor if I you don't feel better soon. Hugs, Traci
lkost11
on 12/6/06 3:54 am - Joliet, IL
I had surgery on Aug. 1st. I am down 88lbs. Eating sometimes can be difficult or boring. One thing I noticed is I cannot snack. If I eat a little here and a little there I stay full to long and have no room when I need to get in my 20g of protein or water. My nutritionist wants us to eat at leat 60 grams of protein a day in three to four meals. She said we could replace one of our meals with a protein shake. Three ounces of meat is generally 20 grams of protein. We were told at three to four months we should be able to eat 3 ounces of protein. You have to think at the beginning of the day about what you want to eat for that day. I have a water and a shake for breakfast because I've never been a breakfast eater but at least I can drink the 8oz. drink pretty fast and get in my first 20g for the day. Then water drinking until lunch. Maybe for lunch I'll have some tuna - and I do use quit a bit of mayo to be moist - I even throw in 2-3 crackers sometimes, chew, chew, chew, eat slow, smaller bites! 19 g of protein in the one serving pouch of tuna and it's 3oz. So now I'm up to 39g and it's only 1PM. I wait an hour and a half and start on the water until dinner. For dinner I might have some shredded beef (chuck roast) I make in the pressure cooker. You can also make it in the crock pot. It is pretty moist and eaiser to chew. I do use ketchup you can also use gravy. My nutritionist said with the amount of food you eat using gravy does not add much additional calories. I started out eating close to 3oz. (you have to work your way up to it) now I can eat 4oz. I container up the left overs and eat it for a couple of days. Yes it may get boring but you don't eat that much. Now I've eaten 59g of protien and I only ate solid food two times. Again remember chew, chew, chew, eat slow, smaller bites. Your pouch doesn't break down food anymore like your stomach did- it's mainly a holding chamber - that's why you must really chew your food or it will get stuck and you will not feel like eating. The snack comes after the protein. To me snack is anything other than a 15-20g protein meal. Vegetables, string cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt - these are all things I consider "snacks". These I eat last. Some other things I eat are chili made with a lot of ground beef, shrimp ****tail with the sauce 8jumbo is 20g, bacon wrapped scallops 4 is 19g (sold at Sam's Club), pressure cooked chicken thigh 20g - chicken breast is too dry and gets stuck. I have a protein counter book and use it all the time. You just have to try to experiment with different things. I would stay away from the pasta and heavy carb items. Always have water to drink inbetween meals with you. Get a water bottle and carry it with you everywhere. Make a goal that you'll finish one in a car trip. You only need to drink about four of the 16.9 oz bottles a day and you can subtract 8oz for your protein shake. Rember food life as we knew it changed when we signed up for this. You have to take food off the entertainment portion of your life. You no longer live to eat. You eat to live and if you think about it you should find it will come eaiser to make the right choices to get in your required protein. Just try that's all you can do. If you can't eat it all don't. Try next time. You will have your good days and your bad. Good luck! Lori
Linda S.
on 12/27/06 2:55 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thank you so much for your letter! I needed to hear someone who has the same realities of myself. I eat like you do, and while I have not weighed since 11/17, I know I am losing as clothes are starting to fall off...Laugh! I eat well, like you, I am losing and I know I am doing it right, I feel well, and am commited to the New Life I have, I am NOT on a diet. I deal with the head, the body, and the spirituality.When my emotions get crappy, which happens less and less, I fill it up with good thoughts of what I have accomplished, and the fact that I am a pretty nice person, and that God wants me happy. Bless ya...I wanna be your friend too, hope thats ok.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views