So, who have you told?

Lookin2Lose
on 10/31/06 2:44 am - AL
I'm almost 12 weeks out. With the exception of my husband and my son, I still haven't told anyone about my WLS. I had my gall bladder out at the same time, so most of them assume that my change in eating habits and weight loss is due to the gall bladder surgery. I'm down 49 lbs. right now, and wondering when or if they'll start questioning the weight loss. I'm not ashamed of the surgery, I just don't really want to hear everyone's thoughts on it, and I don't want everyone staring at me like I'm a lab rat when I go to eat something. I had such a hard time eating around my husband for a short time after surgery, because I felt like he was counting the bites I ate (he was worried that I wasn't eating enough, but I was getting in what I could). So I'm curious... I know that their were others who said they were keeping their surgery to themselves. Now that we're a couple of months out, who have you told???
clegate
on 10/31/06 5:46 am - Shelton, WA
I started out exactly the way you did. I was going to tell everyone it was gall bladder. Then when I got to surgery, they left my g. bladder in! So I had a decision to make, to lie or to tell the truth. I decided to tell the truth. I have not had one person say anything negative (at least to my face). I decided that if it wasn't anyone else's business and if they didn't like it, too bad. It's my health, not theirs. I have't told that many people because no one has really asked yet but I'm sure it will come up. I have told all the people I'm closest to or work closest with. Everyone has been very supportive and caring. It's been a great experience for me both weight-wise and support-wise. If I had it to do again, I'd elect to tell. It's just too hard to keep a secret for the rest of my life. Hope this helps. Carol
Pam P.
on 11/1/06 2:49 am - LaGrange, GA
Well you know this is a personal decision but I was totally opposite.....EVERYONE around me knows....I dont mind even telling people I run into. Im so thankful for this gift that I want people to know and understand what its REALLY like, not what they think they know about it. I am an HR Manager and ALL of my 284 employees know...they are all supportive and cheer me on daily....I only ran across a few who didnt agree that I needed this so I quickly stopped their comments and gave them my handbook I created , so that they could educate themselves. One close friend was dead set against it...said I wasnt heavy enough..easy way out...yada yada yada....well after she got educated she changed her mind quick! People laugh about one grape will fill her up...etc...but I laugh and enjoy it... Im thankful and dont care who knows my business...mind you Im not a really private person anyway.... But all of my family told all of their friends and so on...so they all are watching me like a lab rat as you said...but a supportive team surrounding you is awesome. My sister had a party this past weekend in Atlanta and all of her friends were there...well my other sister kept making me model for them and sayin look at her butt, its almost gone! I was embarressed but excited to have people to share it with. My family emails calls and checks constantly on if I have had my protein or not...they are like hall monitors...but I wouldnt take anything in the world for being able to share this journey with them. When I see someone I havent seen these past 9 weeks they KNOW I have to have done something, so I immediately tell them and follow it with Im down to one blood pressure pill a day and no longer on any meds....THAT was my goal! But....with everyone knowing I do feel Im on display...not in a bad way...but they watch what I wear every day and I actually dont have anything to wear right now so that gets old...but I do feel like I need to be presentable at all times in case someone runs into me...lol...oh well I needed to care more about my appearance anyway! Good Luck to you...and speak up only in YOUR time.
Ms.Traci C.
on 11/1/06 11:08 pm - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Hi! I started out only telling a few close people and family. No one at work knew at all. It came out however because I work at the hospital where I had surgery....I just wanted to make it through the surgery without any comment or preaching from anyone...I was truly not ready for that and it wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. Now, everyone is supportive telling me how great I look and wondering what I eat. I exercise and feel wonderful and that is my reward. Hugs, Traci
jkfullerva
on 11/7/06 2:11 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I have told everyone. I had an 18 month wait before surgery and I used that time to try weigh****chers and lead a bible study called First Place. I have told everyone I am rebuilding my temple. I want to be healthy enough to serve God anywhere He wants me. So I use every opportunity to tell folks what God is doing in my life. My weight loss is good but not huge numbers so when people ask me every day what i have lost I tell them I have lost high blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep apnea which I did in the first 6 weeks. I have lost about 41lbs. and lots of inches. Everyone has been very supportive and it has impacted several people in my family my son has lost 10lbs my husband has lost nearly 20 and 2 of my sisters are both working out now to get back in shape. So God has used my surgery to inspire others. Hope this helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views