3 mths out...but still have issues

Erin1983
on 10/27/06 10:09 am - East Lansing, MI
I have to say...I've only had my surgery for three months but I can already feel what type of a difference this has created for me. Not only do I feel better about myself I know that I'm doing this to take better care of myself for the future. The one thing that is bothering me on a daily basis is how alot of people really don't understand what kind of processes I am going through with the Band. It's hard to explain to someone why you have the sudden urge to throw up because you didn't chew the food too well or you ate one bite too much and they want to know when you have become a bullemic. It's also hard to watch my own mother critiize me on my choice of having surgery done. It is also frustrating when you go to some party or hand out with friends and there is food available to eat and you don't eat and they call you out on the carpet saying that you are acting "rude". They just don't understand and I feel as though part of me having this surgery has disconnected my from my friends and family....is that what this is suppose to feel like? I know my momthinks that I'm doing this because I wanted the "easy way" but thats not true. I did it because I needed to get my PCOS under control so when I have children in the future it won't be as much of a struggle as my parents had, so I won't get diabetes like my father and I won't have heart conditions due to my weight like my mom has. I did this for me.
Jan C.
on 10/28/06 12:16 am - Cedar Creek, MO
hang in there Erin. there are going to be some people that just dont understand ever and some that will leave you as friends. but you will find some new friends because of your weight loss too. so It will get better. Maybe dont put yourself in places right now that there will be food so that people dont have to oppertunity to say cruele things to you . We know this sure wasnt the easy way out so that is all that we need to know. You go girl and keep the sunny side up it will pay off for you in the long run. Jan
cowangel
on 10/28/06 5:28 am - Grovetown, GA
Amazing, I have PCOS too, and it robbed me of my fertility. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago but the ramifications of PCOS are devestating.. It destroys your metabolism too, and even after they remove your ovaries the disease process has done what it's done. They didn't dx mine until I was about 38 years old and had tried for years to get pregnant.. Be thankful, it seems they found your's early... There's hope for you. I will be 44 next month, well in December. I had my RNY on 082206 so we are close as far as surgery dates. I have had people say some really crappy things to me too, like, oh it's falling off now, but good luck keeping it off. I want to say "falling off"? Do you see how little I'm eating, and how much I exercise? You try it out and let me know how it works for you? They have no concept of how some days are so easy food wise and others make you sick as a dog. On the other hand, I have an incredibly sweet supportive husband, family and network of "friends". Are you in a support group? I love mine and wish we could meet weekly. Keep your chin up, this is about you and your future... Sincerely, JudyB.
Doxiemomx3
on 11/1/06 3:55 am - Kansas City, MO
I am new to the Board, having had surgery on 08/01/06, but felt compelled to respond. Are your "friends" - the ones calling you out - overweight themselves? If so, I think they may be threatened by the fact that you are going to be thin, and they aren't. And if they aren't, chances are you are still going to end up thinner than they are and you will no longer be their fat friend and they are still threatened by this. My family and friends have been supportive, so I am very lucky in that respect. Unless you have been in our situation, you don't understand why we had our surgeries (I had lap RNY) and you can't explain to someone who hasn't been there. You did what was best for you. You decided to make a PRO choice in your life and to take control back for your health. Don't let people who don't understand make you ever second guess your decision. If you have to make new friends, then be prepared to do that. You have to look out for yourself. Take care and good luck. - Kim
Jen F.
on 11/13/06 7:22 am - Minneapolis, MN
Who are these jerks you're spending time with? Sounds terrible. I'd tell off anyone who said not eating things that are bad for you is rude. What about a diabetic? Or someone with high cholestorol? Sounds like they are ignorant and insensitive. Same goes for your mom. I think you need to set up some boundries with her. If she's not going to be kind, then cut her off. You don't need that in your life. If you're old enough to decide to have surgery then you're old enough to make decisions without your mother's agreement or consent. You need to continue to take care of yourself by ridding yourself of these jerks, or standing up for yourself instead of taking these things to heart. They don't know what they are talking about.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views